Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How good is the Vendetta SCP 2a phono amp compared to the newer stuff

thanks for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
    Before one considers A /B comparisons with other/existing MC phono stages ( All the V-SCPs are LOMC ONLY) here is the chart of the models

Good Listening

BruceD

SCP-2A - phase reversed came in 2 boxes
    SCP-2B - phase corrected, variable loading, came in a 19" faceplate joining the 2 mono units.
    SCP-2C - adds 47K ohm support
    SCP-2D - improvement with a drop in distortion, rare and hard to find.
    SCP-2T - latest revision by JC, $1500 in mods that will change the wires, FET's, and add expensive Teflon caps, and other proprietary treatments. Need a good unit to get started. The Vendetta and the T upgrade would easily run $4000-5000 now on the used market.
    Thanks for that Bruce - the reason being I bought what I believe was an SCP2A - but it has variable loading and a single front plate - indicating it is an SCP2B - that said it has SCP2A on the front plate.

A brilliant technician called Brett Hunnisett in the UK replaced the electrolytics in the phono amp after it blew my main amplifier (1000 bill ouch) Brett also improved the IC's. These works cost around 350 UKP. I contacted John Curl - a brilliant but perhaps rather shy man - he said just enjoy the phono amp when asked about a Teflon upgrade.

I understand - perhaps from one of the people on this thread - that the original caps make the sound more organic that the Teflon caps - not necessarily a better sound - perhaps a bit more HD/HiFi. I am curious as to the Teflon caps that were used in the T in the event I try and rope Brett into putting those caps into my system.

I had a really nice guy from HK send me the circuit diagram - but on pain of death and respect to John Curl I will not forward this to anyone else.

The most fascinating thing about the stage is that the Hitachi MosFets were 'trace matched'. These FETS are no longer manufactured, but there is some obscure company in the US that bought all the old stocks - that said JC probably had to check several FETS before matching them in groups/batches.

Best single component I have bought yet in my system. Not only superb sounding, but also a component that gives me real pride of ownership given its' rarity and also its notoriety.

Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    Thanks for that Bruce - the reason being I bought what I believe was an SCP2A - but it has variable loading and a single front plate - indicating it is an SCP2B - that said it has SCP2A on the front plate.

A brilliant technician called Brett Hunnisett in the UK replaced the electrolytics in the phono amp after it blew my main amplifier (1000 bill ouch) Brett also improved the IC's. These works cost around 350 UKP. I contacted John Curl - a brilliant but perhaps rather shy man - he said just enjoy the phono amp when asked about a Teflon upgrade.

I understand - perhaps from one of the people on this thread - that the original caps make the sound more organic that the Teflon caps - not necessarily a better sound - perhaps a bit more HD/HiFi. I am curious as to the Teflon caps that were used in the T in the event I try and rope Brett into putting those caps into my system.

I had a really nice guy from HK send me the circuit diagram - but on pain of death and respect to John Curl I will not forward this to anyone else.

The most fascinating thing about the stage is that the Hitachi MosFets were 'trace matched'. These FETS are no longer manufactured, but there is some obscure company in the US that bought all the old stocks - that said JC probably had to check several FETS before matching them in groups/batches.

Best single component I have bought yet in my system. Not only superb sounding, but also a component that gives me real pride of ownership given its' rarity and also its notoriety.
    John Curl's ability to curve trace and match the Hitachi JFETs (not MOSFETs) is very rare.

Yes, John is shy yet protective, until he knows someone. He's a lot of fun, though.
    Brian Walsh
    Analog Expert / Showroom Manager
    musicdirect

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I think I recall Charles Hansen of Ayre "snavelled " all those Hitachi JFets!

Yes enjoy the unit it is one of the two finest Phonos ever produced commercially --the other is the Mares Connoisseur. Even today's offering are in the ballpark but not superior

In my book anyway.

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Walsh View Post
    John Curl's ability to curve trace and match the Hitachi JFETs (not MOSFETs) is very rare.

Yes, John is shy yet protective, until he knows someone. He's a lot of fun, though.
    Fully understand him being shy and protective - the world often mistreats great people. I am just blessed to have got one of his masterpieces

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234