Triton v2 - First impressions.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have a question hopefully someone can answer or explain.

I made a jumper for my two chassis Pass pre-amp, but haven't figured out how to hook it up. The chassis screws aren't 'normal' screws, but are like threaded rods, or inserts, with no 'top' to put the spade under. I am referring to the screws on the top and side. I haven't pulled the pre out yet to try the screws on the back as shown in the picture below.

Anyway, while doing this I measured the resistance between the two chassis (one is P/S, other is electronics), and there is no common ground between each chassis. It measured as an open.

So, if I were to ground this to the Triton would it make sense to ground both, or just one of the two? I can certainly experiment once I figure out how to attach the spade, but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I think I will send an email to Pass and ask why the two chassis are not grounded together. They connect via a DB-25 umbilical cable.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Wolff

Jun 10, 2015
I got mine in India,last Friday , from the local dealer in Chennai. At this rate the European version should have been around for a few decades...:b
Pradeep

Thank you for your reaction. I think there is misunderstanding. The Triton v2 is available; I'm looking for the upgrade Triton v1 to Triton v2.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you for your reaction. I think there is misunderstanding. The Triton v2 is available; I'm looking for the upgrade Triton v1 to Triton v2.

That's why I sold my V1 and bought a V2. This beside the fact that "have you tried listening to your system with the V1 turned off". System sounds broken. Plus the V2 is magnitudes better than the V1. Why wait and why go without. Once you own one you know you can never be without one in your system.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I have a question hopefully someone can answer or explain.

I made a jumper for my two chassis Pass pre-amp, but haven't figured out how to hook it up. The chassis screws aren't 'normal' screws, but are like threaded rods, or inserts, with no 'top' to put the spade under. I am referring to the screws on the top and side. I haven't pulled the pre out yet to try the screws on the back as shown in the picture below.

Anyway, while doing this I measured the resistance between the two chassis (one is P/S, other is electronics), and there is no common ground between each chassis. It measured as an open.

So, if I were to ground this to the Triton would it make sense to ground both, or just one of the two? I can certainly experiment once I figure out how to attach the spade, but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I think I will send an email to Pass and ask why the two chassis are not grounded together. They connect via a DB-25 umbilical cable.

View attachment 20960

Start with grounding the PSU chassi first to the Triton v2 for a few days. If Pass is ok with it then ground the preamp chassis directly to the Triton v2 as well. Take it slow and evaluate.

Steve Williams

Start with grounding the PSU chassi first to the Triton v2 for a few days. If Pass is ok with it then ground the preamp chassis directly to the Triton v2 as well. Take it slow and evaluate.

Why not ground the preamp to its power supply with a short grounding cable and then run another grounding cable from from the power supply to the V2

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Because that would be less efficient than two CGS cables, one to PSU and one directly to the preamp. Shortest path to ground for each device.

Steve Williams

Because that would be less efficient than two CGS cables, one to PSU and one directly to the preamp. Shortest path to ground for each device.

when I was planning to use the CGS for my Lamm amps, that was how Caelin suggested I run the ground. Having said that my amps did not like to be grounded

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Also you were running the ground cable to the other dedicated line's Triton v2, not a "local" Triton v2 on the current line for your amps. There was someone else who tried the same layout as you and it didn't work out either.

Steve Williams

Also you were running the ground cable to the other dedicated line's Triton v2, not a "local" Triton v2 on the current line for your amps. There was someone else who tried the same layout as you and it didn't work out either.

That was Frank750

I would never put a Triton on the same line as my amps. I have 14 dedicated lines in my room with my amps being on 2 of these. Besides the purpose of the CGS is to bring other pieces of equipment through the common ground without deriving the other benefits of the Triton for those components plugged into it

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

I received a reply from Pass, and they said while grounding the PS chassis is okay, grounding the control unit might add noise. Basically, they said try it, and see, or hear, what happens.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Sounds good, will you be using CGS cables or build your own?

I found it easiest up to 4 CGS cables to use a banana in the Triton v2 end and a small spade in the equipment chassis end.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Build my own; spade to spade. Lumin is hooked up, but not sure how to attach to the preamp.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Next up, I am going to remove the DPC6 from the Triton V2 and connect it directly to my dedicated digital AC line.
Ciao

Philip

Philip, what was the result of your DPC6 right to the wall. Right now, my DPC6 v2 is into my Triton v1. Pretty sure I am going to order my Triton v2 today from my dealer...appreciate everyone's comments here on the Triton v2

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Last night, Friday, I added a ground wire between the preamp power supply chassis and the Triton ground lugs. A month or so ago, I added a ground between the Lumin power supply chassis and the Triton. These are the only components currently using the Triton.

When I hooked up the Lumin I felt as if there was an improvement in background quiet and a more precise definition of the music. The same thing occurred with the preamp. Today I was listening to string quartets and I kept thinking I was hearing notes previously missing, or muddled. Obviously, this is all unscientific and just a feeling, but it sure seems better. Since I made the jumpers myself from old 12 gauge speaker wire, I doubt if the $25 cost of spades is biasing my opinion. :)

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I ordered my Triton v2 today. Thanks to everyone for their comments here and on other threads....looking forward to getting it soon...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Good job. You will be surprised and happy. If you do any grounding it will be interesting in how it works in your setup.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Over the weekend using decent gauge cu wire I hooked up my 2 TTs, preamp , phono stage and the mono bloc amps to the CGS lugs on the Triton v2. The most obvious difference is that switching between mute and the mc/mm output is a lot quieter on my Nagra phono stage . Earlier I would get a distinct soft thud and now it's a soft plop sound. I think the overall picture is a lot cleaner but honestly it's a teeny weeny difference. I reckon there must be some burn in time for the CGS cables.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I ordered my Triton v2 today. Thanks to everyone for their comments here and on other threads....looking forward to getting it soon...

Triton v2 arrived today from my dealer in Austin - Ne Plus Ultra. (and 2 Sigma Analogs to replace 2 Anaconda Zitrons - they are still in the box). About 3 hours playing time on the Triton v2. First gotta love the grip on the outlets. Much better. Sound wise...more quiet and more energy...already drawing me closer emotionally. I know I have a break in period...but I see what everyone else has been saying already !

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I finally got around to adding the two amps to the ground on the Triton. Since each amp is on its own circuit, and the source gear is on another circuit, I was a little apprehensive about creating a ground loop. However, with no input, and the volume near max, it is dead quiet. Later tonight I will give it a serious listen, but right now it sounds pretty darn good. It certainly isn't worse, and might be better. We will find out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing