Triton v2 - First impressions.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Inserted a Triton v2, last night, replacing a 3 year old Triton 1. Initial impressions, a lot more sparkle and life. As someone said its not a veil but a blanket that's been lifted. The highs are shrill and etchy which I hate but no more than when the Triton 1 was installed. I reckon this is a very sensible move but the 200 hour+ burn in is a royal PITA. Why can't they sell it largely broken in. I know I am treading on worn ground and this has been answered before. But still...
Pradeep

Wait Pradeep as you are in for a very big treat. No need to run signal to break it in but rather just keep the components on which are plugged in

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately can't keep my tube amps on. Consume humongous power and those big candles are difficult to replace. The Triton 1 took my system to a new high and I am convinced it's going to be way better with version2. It's the wait and the sonic impasse that I am not thrilled about:confused:
Pradeep

Steve Williams

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately can't keep my tube amps on. Consume humongous power and those big candles are difficult to replace. The Triton 1 took my system to a new high and I am convinced it's going to be way better with version2. It's the wait and the sonic impasse that I am not thrilled about:confused:

Pradeep

then use a fan as Caelin suggested

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Forget about 8 fans , I don't even have one.
Seriously, after 48 hrs of continuous power up, there is light at the end of the long long tunnel. Some of the shrillness has gone. I think I am going to be happy;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I added my first ground cable tonight between the Lumin and the Triton v2. I made it from an old 12 gauge speaker cable. I can honestly say that it did not make the sound worse. On the other hand, I think the background noise has gotten even quieter, but have no way to prove that. I would like to add a ground to my pre, but do not see a simple attachment solution.

Steve Williams

I added my first ground cable tonight between the Lumin and the Triton v2. I made it from an old 12 gauge speaker cable. I can honestly say that it did not make the sound worse. On the other hand, I think the background noise has gotten even quieter, but have no way to prove that. I would like to add a ground to my pre, but do not see a simple attachment solution.

You need to use a chassis nut

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
You need to use a chassis nut

In the absence of a chassis ground lug , any screw on the underside of the pre should do provided it's not a support for any electrical component inside. Preferably a spade or a small wire loop twirled around the screw/washer should do. I haven't attempted any connections to the v2's ground but that is what I will do after some measure of breakin

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia

I had the same issue so ended up getting a pair of RCA's made up with only a ground cable with spades on the Triton end - worked a treat.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I have just done the same thing and found that it took 2 weeks to really shine through, at the 500 hour mark it finally settled now and the only changes have been in the right direction. Its worth it !

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I had the same issue so ended up getting a pair of RCA's made up with only a ground cable with spades on the Triton end - worked a treat.

Are you saying you used an unused input on your pre, and attached the other end to the Triton ground? That's not a bad idea. I have lots of old interconnects that I can use. I wonder if using both L/R inputs would provide any benefit over just a single cable.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Are you saying you used an unused input on your pre, and attached the other end to the Triton ground? That's not a bad idea. I have lots of old interconnects that I can use. I wonder if using both L/R inputs would provide any benefit over just a single cable.
Now I am confused. IIRC there are 2 grounding schemes , signal ground and chassis ground and I thought the Triton V2 addressed the latter. Hopefully, Caelin will chime in and shed some light.
Pradeep

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes, before I try the RCA method I was going to measure the resistance between the RCA ground, and the chassis. Anything more than 0.2 ohms will cause me to not use it. Otherwise, I need to go to Fry's and find a small spade. The spades I used for the Lumin ground are to large for a chassis screw.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia

I made up some cables only using the ground wire, no signal wires and put an RCA on the equipment end and a spade to fit the Triton terminal on the other and used an unused RCA output on both the amps and DAC and that sorted the grounding issues I was having. Signal cables are all XLR's. The RCA ground in the connector is usually grounded to the chassis so that was the easiest way to do it.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Great. I will try that next weekend after I am used to any changes resulting from the Lumin ground.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

If you're saying you're going to do a signal ground, I would think twice before doing it.

From Shunyata;
The CGS is a chassis grounding system only and was not designed for signal ground connections. The CGS Chassis Grounding System is compatible with a signal grounding type product — just don’t connect them together.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
If you're saying you're going to do a signal ground, I would think twice before doing it.

From Shunyata;
The CGS is a chassis grounding system only and was not designed for signal ground connections. The CGS Chassis Grounding System is compatible with a signal grounding type product — just don’t connect them together.

I am saying if the RCA ground is shorted to the chassis ground then I will do it.

Wolff

Jun 10, 2015
Great that there is a Triton v2. I wonder when this upgrade is available in Europe.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I got mine in India,last Friday , from the local dealer in Chennai. At this rate the European version should have been around for a few decades...:b
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing