Vintage LUXMAN turntable PD-444 - my saga

PD-444.jpg
photo credit Dagogo RMAF 2008

When we first started importing LUXMAN back in 2007, they had not manufactured a turntable for 25+ years. I thought what the heck, so I bought (personally) a used PD-444 on eBay and was delighted with its condition. I turned to vintage LUXMAN turntable expert Sean Casey at Zu Audio who very generously helped me with the tonearm mounting brackets as well as rewired the SME 3012 tonearm and glued the headshell in place. The Zu modified Denon 103 is a rare bargain in today's unaffordable high-end, I was delighted with its performance. I am assured that today's Zu 103 performance has been much improved since 2008. I mounted the Zu 103 in a modern Triplanar. Since then we started importing the LUXMAN PD-171 and I learnt that the Luxman turntables really thrive on a well designed mechanical isolation platform.

Sadly, my PD-444 currently needs service, but I will post some more up to date photos once its service is complete. Once I apply the knowledge I gained from the PD-171 back in to the PD-444, I don't doubt that we'll get even higher performance than before.

Do you have a vintage LUXMAN you would like to share with us ?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Supposed to be real winners, made for Luxman by Micro Seiki. Get a good sample in working condition and you have become an honorable antiquarian.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 20170
photo credit Dagogo RMAF 2008

When we first started importing LUXMAN back in 2007, they had not manufactured a turntable for 25+ years. I thought what the heck, so I bought (personally) a used PD-444 on eBay and was delighted with its condition. I turned to vintage LUXMAN turntable expert Sean Casey at Zu Audio who very generously helped me with the tonearm mounting brackets as well as rewired the SME 3012 tonearm and glued the headshell in place. The Zu modified Denon 103 is a rare bargain in today's unaffordable high-end, I was delighted with its performance. I am assured that today's Zu 103 performance has been much improved since 2008. I mounted the Zu 103 in a modern Triplanar. Since then we started importing the LUXMAN PD-171 and I learnt that the Luxman turntables really thrive on a well designed mechanical isolation platform.

Sadly, my PD-444 currently needs service, but I will post some more up to date photos once its service is complete. Once I apply the knowledge I gained from the PD-171 back in to the PD-444, I don't doubt that we'll get even higher performance than before.

Do you have a vintage LUXMAN you would like to share with us ?
Excellent tt I had the smaller pd441 many years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing