The Newest Belt-Drive Turntables: TechDAS and Kronos

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well I just took the plunge. My current turntable is a Raven One (lowest model on the TW Akustic line) that I've had for years now. After hearing Frank rave about his upgrade and at Peter's subtle suggestions I began to seriously think about upgrading. I knew I couldn't afford a TechDAS and began to consider other options like SME. Then I went to Axpona and loved the sound in the YG room with the Kronos table. I loved the 'bling' look of the Kronos a LOT (I had to stop myself from drooling over it).

And so I bought one. It arrives Thursday... Not quite in the same league as the TechDAS and there's no vaccum involved but hopefully I'm going to be in analog bliss for some time to come...

Congrats Ian

Which Kronos model?

Awesome!!

I am sure the table will sound just dandy with the XV-1t. As long as they have a heavier counterweight.

Are you keeping me the TW table as a mono cart spinner or a different flavour?

Cheers

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats Ian

Which Kronos model?

Awesome!!

I am sure the table will sound just dandy with the XV-1t. As long as they have a heavier counterweight.

Are you keeping me the TW table as a mono cart spinner or a different flavour?

Cheers

Thanks, I got the Limited Edition Pro. I'm guessing I will sell my current table and arm.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
I was told by someone who will remain nameless not to use a weight, not even the one from TechDAS. I tried one I had hanging around here for the helluva it and left it on for about 20 seconds. Deadened the sound terribly.

This is correct to my ears. Different to the Kronos, record weights used with the AF1 do muddy the sound, not "terribly" so, but a trace of the ability to hear deep into the music seems to get lost. I used several weights from TTA and two from Goldmund.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
This is correct to my ears. Different to the Kronos, record weights used with the AF1 do muddy the sound, not "terribly" so, but a trace of the ability to hear deep into the music seems to get lost. I used several weights from TTA and two from Goldmund.

Tried it finally with the Stillpoint LP 1, which had worked wonders for me on the Kronos Pro. With the AFO, contrary to the other weights I had tried. I could not discern any change if I used it or not. ( My cart is the older version of the Goldfinger)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Tried it finally with the Stillpoint LP 1, which had worked wonders for me on the Kronos Pro. With the AFO, contrary to the other weights I had tried. I could not discern any change if I used it or not. ( My cart is the older version of the Goldfinger)

I was using that LP1 on my AF1 up until 3 weeks ago. I now prefer it without. Subtle differences.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Interesting. I will have to try the LP1 with my Kronos Pro.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing