The Newest Belt-Drive Turntables: TechDAS and Kronos

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My dealer recently installed a Goldfinger Statement...holy smokes the price. But damn if I was not totally smitten. It seems to take the best of my Lyra Atlas with the best traights of my Allaerts. It's impressive to say the least...not sure I've ever heard a cartridge image like that...

Yes...I have yet to go James Bond on that cart. I may have to break down a buy one someday.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very hard to get a listen to any of these big, heavy, expensive tables, at least it was for me.

...In the end, isn't that what it's all about?

It is very hard to hear these tables side by side...or really anything side by side unless a dealer or a friend happens to have exactly what you're considering. My former SME 20/2 & SME IV.Vi was a fantastic table....then I bought a Grand Prix Monaco...it has more "drive" on the notes. The SME had a "wetness" to the notes....I've since got that back but took 3 arms and several cable upgrades...

In the end..if you're happy that's what matters most !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter B.,

Thank you for your reply (post #4).

Peter A.,

I chose to focus on belt-drive and vacuum hold-down turntables and unipivot tonearms for a brew of reasons which are far from scientific, and perhaps not even technically rational. It is a combination of my personal experience with belt-drive turntables (which is to say that I have never had a problem with them and they sound good); my subjective skepticism about direct-drive turntables because it just makes sense to me, rightly or wrongly, that the vibration of the motor should be in some way isolated from the platter; and from the broad view that belt-drive has been featured in some of the most enduring and respected designs I have seen in my 30 years in this hobby.

I think linear tracking tonearms seem wonderful in theory but they appear to have proven to be difficult to execute in practice and with longevity. (Lloyd Walker is probably calling me on the telephone already.) I am intrigued by the Clearaudio TT-2 but I have never heard it. Since in theory linear-tracking seems like the right technical solution, why haven't we seen more linear-tracking tonearms? Rightly or wrongly, linear-tracking tonearms seem complex and delicate.

If A.J. Conti thinks vacuum hold-down is the right answer and Hideaki Niskikawa thinks vacuum hold-down is the right answer and Andy Payor thinks vacuum hold-down is the right answer and John Bicht thinks vacuum hold-down is the right answer then vacuum hold-down is what I want.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Not surprised a bit, especially about the arm and cartridge. Have customers with Koetsu stone body cartridges including the Coralstone (fabulous cartridge, BTW) as well as former Phantom owners including one who was a longtime Goldfinger (up to v2) owner, and the changes in arms and cartridges as well as painstaking alignment made all the difference. I'd love to hear a comparison between the AF2 and the Kuzma Stabi M, the latter which has unmistakable immediacy and drive.

If forced to pick between the Koetsu Coralstone Platinum and the Goldfinger Statement, I'd take the Coralstone.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Good Thread comparing two excellent Tables--I don't own either--old school here:)--but I've heard both tables and indeed all of the brands mentioned in Postings.

The TechDas II is superb my only caveat is I would not own it with the Graham Arm to me it just sounds flat and uninvolving when I auditioned the Table--made even more obvious when I listened through headphones a Newport last year--I've heard the table perform more optimally

--to my ears with the Schroder for instance-my other Pref's would be for a Kuzma 4point--or my personal Fav if you can find one the 12" Breuer. The Grahams don't do it for me --sorry.

The Kronos I am on the fence-- superb engineering /etc-- I played one of my LPs at show on the Kronos setup it was fine but I felt something missing--went to the next room and had them play a track on an AMGV12 setup--- that scooped the prize for me

However for the thread

The Techdas would be my vote--with the proviso I've mentioned

Thank you YVMV

BruceD

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
It seems that even suspended turntables like Rockitman's TechDAS benefit from active isolation and my suspended SME certainly benefits from passive isolation. It was a shocking improvement. It would be interesting to learn if owners of the TechDAS or Basis tables with vacuum hold down also benefit from adding the right record weight. Do Rockport owners use record weights?

I prefer AF1 with Stillpoint clamp

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If forced to pick between the Koetsu Coralstone Platinum and the Goldfinger Statement, I'd take the Coralstone.

out of curiosity...why?

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I recall a talk by Mike Fremer and Ken Kessler at Heathrow 10 years ago, and also a Roy Gregory article about phono stages saying we get to certain point, but even at that level other things are emphasised. Likewise Kessler said that a kettle drum hit by a muscular man when replayed is interesting as systems pick up on the force, or the weight, or indeed the resolution, but never all at once.
Out of interest Mike do you believe each arm therefore introduces/subtracts a greater/lesser degree of tone? I see your logic insofar as it the arm in which the cable moves that has the greatest movement in the turntable chain in which a signal moves, which may well explain a lot.
I unfortunately do not operate in your circles so to speak so cannot, in all fairness, comment on the strength of one machine to another.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
out of curiosity...why?

More detail, transparency, air, a little more liquid in presentation, don't think that means rolled off highs but sometimes the Goldfinger can seem a little edgy. Don't get me wrong, the Goldfinger is great. I think both have the same MSRP too.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well I just took the plunge. My current turntable is a Raven One (lowest model on the TW Akustic line) that I've had for years now. After hearing Frank rave about his upgrade and at Peter's subtle suggestions I began to seriously think about upgrading. I knew I couldn't afford a TechDAS and began to consider other options like SME. Then I went to Axpona and loved the sound in the YG room with the Kronos table. I loved the 'bling' look of the Kronos a LOT (I had to stop myself from drooling over it).

And so I bought one. It arrives Thursday... Not quite in the same league as the TechDAS and there's no vaccum involved but hopefully I'm going to be in analog bliss for some time to come...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats, Ian! I'm sure you'll love it! Did you get the Black Beauty tonearm too?
Oh, and are you going to keep your (excellent) XV-1t?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very exciting! Congratulations!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats, Ian! I'm sure you'll love it! Did you get the Black Beauty tonearm too?
Oh, and are you going to keep your (excellent) XV-1t?

Thanks, alex. I did get the arm too (and I'm equally excited about it).

I am going to start with my Dynavector XV-1t (which I do love and I'm sure will sound great) but I understand that the strength of the Black Beauty arm is how light it is and it's probably best mated with a lighter cartridge.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well I just took the plunge. My current turntable is a Raven One (lowest model on the TW Akustic line) that I've had for years now. After hearing Frank rave about his upgrade and at Peter's subtle suggestions I began to seriously think about upgrading. I knew I couldn't afford a TechDAS and began to consider other options like SME. Then I went to Axpona and loved the sound in the YG room with the Kronos table. I loved the 'bling' look of the Kronos a LOT (I had to stop myself from drooling over it).

And so I bought one. It arrives Thursday... Not quite in the same league as the TechDAS and there's no vaccum involved but hopefully I'm going to be in analog bliss for some time to come...

Congrats. I haven't heard one...but by all accounts, it's a great table. Are you going to buy the matching stand ?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats. I haven't heard one...but by all accounts, it's a great table. Are you going to buy the matching stand ?

Thanks, Christian.

Not getting the stand, it's going to sit on the top shelf of my rack (where my current table is). No real space for the stand... but otherwise I'd love to have it, it looks sweet!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks, Christian.

Not getting the stand, it's going to sit on the top shelf of my rack (where my current table is). No real space for the stand... but otherwise I'd love to have it, it looks sweet!

I see you have the XS pre again....is it staying this time ?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I see you have the XS pre again....is it staying this time ?

Yes it is. As soon as I solved the thinness issue in my system, I wanted to try the XS pre again. I love it and the difference is not subtle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing