Is this guy for real?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I never thought I would say this...BUT I am seriously considering listening to the new AP productions of.....Dean Martin:eek: In my youth, the mere mention of this guy would elicit some very strange looks and even stranger thoughts, LOL. When you grow up with Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Budgie, Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc., then Dean Martin isn't in the vocab. Now, i just appreciate ALL music and styles...Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra to Linkin' Park and even Creed....sounds good, I'm all in.:cool:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Originally Posted by tomelex

I think I have said before mastering is probably 99% of what makes any recording sound good in any genre or format, mastering is where we make that all important illusion attempt.

So you have no issues with auto-tune and its equivalents, compressors-limiters,digital effects for ambience-reverb or other DAW plugins, etc
Let alone ADC, how mixed, etc.

My context is that mastering is far from being 99% of what makes any recording sound good, maybe a different way to look at it is that mastering can screw up a good recording or make them shine.

Cheers
Orb

Hi, I answered that post in post 191 and you were right to call me out on it, as I said I was just popping in a quick post and did not really say what I know.

However, while one can get a pretty good sound with no processing ( I have done it lots of times with my digital recorder and two mics), a lot of the pop music and what not and even stuff from the sixties and earlier, those echo rooms that the singers sang in to get reverb, etc, and compressors etc do have their place in recordings, as you know, they are needed when you are mixing different mic'ed things, such as a drum set, if you just feed that sound from a mic into my digital recorder (just mic the drum set), plain old two channel stereo has some issues with making it sound quite right and doing some processing will make it sound "more real" in stereo....just sayin that simple mic does not always produce the most realistic illusion in stereo. Stereo can use some help sometimes depending on the format etc.

Yeah agreed and my point was as extreme as yours :)
As mentioned a bit more seriously in that last sentence by me, maybe best way to look it it is that mastering can screw up a good performance-recording or make them really shine and even save the day with average ones.
Why it makes sense to use a really good mastering service IMO, there has been some really interesting interviews done in the past with them and what they receive from artists-etc.

Cheers
Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I never thought I would say this...BUT I am seriously considering listening to the new AP productions of.....Dean Martin:eek: In my youth, the mere mention of this guy would elicit some very strange looks and even stranger thoughts, LOL. When you grow up with Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Budgie, Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc., then Dean Martin isn't in the vocab. Now, i just appreciate ALL music and styles...Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra to Linkin' Park and even Creed....sounds good, I'm all in.:cool:

Hahahahaha! Yeah, same reaction here, man!
I realize now that different music are called for for specific periods in life and even a time of the day. There's "early morning music", and there's "late night music".
I'm listening to the new My Morning Jacket album, "Waterfall", and it's perfect morning music! Very California sounding too...

alexandre

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I never thought I would say this...BUT I am seriously considering listening to the new AP productions of.....Dean Martin:eek:
Turning gray, forgetfulness , difficulty rising from a low lying chair, soft food. It just happens! ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yeah, Dino could get just as wasted before performing as those first several rockers on your list :D

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
Bruce-

Remember what they say about opinions: They are like ******ES. Everybody has one. Personally good R2R playback engages me on an emotional level far better than high-resolution files do, and I have both playback options available to me.

Opinions are acceptable in the absence of fact, not in conflict with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing