Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressed Air and Lp Dust Removal....

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    Sounds like a good way to propel and impel dust particles etc. into the grooves... I prefer vacuum instead of air blasting most anything delicate.
    Actually Yip from Mint LP recommends the method I described. I tried it a few years ago and have never looked back. Keep in mind, my records are dust free. Even so, some dust can get into the record sleeve. If I had a truly dusty record, it would go back into the ultrasonic cleaner.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I guess that's the difference. We get a lot of airborne particulates in this city. Certainly a lot more than New York state. Much more.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Would be interesting to look under a microscope what happens after each cleaning method. Has this been done?

I have a blower that I use to dry our dugs and get dirt out of their hair. It has high pressure and high volume. Anyone try that?
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

I think the real culprit in many cases is static electricity, which attracts and holds the dust and smaller particles. That may be climate dependent. Here in the NE, winter was especially a problem, because the ambient humidity was low, especially in a heated home.

My vinyl days are long over, partly because of ticks and pops, but also because I have found better sound. I experimented with a number of techniques. Actually, one of my favorites was a LencoClean wet playing system. An arm filled with their fluid deposited a thin film on the disc ahead of the stylus via a fine brush. The fluid neutralized static electricity and floated the particles to the surface with help from the brush on the Lenco arm. The sylus traced through, also benefitting from the cooling and lubrication by the fluid. The only negative was that you had to let the record dry for a few minutes before putting it back in the jacket. But, the results were awesome. Only actual blemishes and scratches in the vinyl caused any noise. But, I was unable to find fluid refills after awhile and I was unsuccessful in synthesizing a workable fluid from alcohol/water. It never flowed properly. They must have also used some surfactant in theirs.

I shifted gears to a VPI machine and LAST preservative, which has an anti static property. A carbon brush just before playing easily removed surface dust with the LAST in place. My LP's previously LencoCleaned had no discernible problems under this system.

I do not hold out much hope for compressed air unless you also have a way of neutralizing the static electricity.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    Actually Yip from Mint LP recommends the method I described. I tried it a few years ago and have never looked back. Keep in mind, my records are dust free. Even so, some dust can get into the record sleeve. If I had a truly dusty record, it would go back into the ultrasonic cleaner.
    http://mintlp.com/static.htm

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I agree that any brush will add static and push fine surface dust into the grooves. Before any play, I use a Milty to remove static and, if the record was not just washed, will use air to blow any dust away. If I use a brush of any type, I will follow with the air and the Milty.
    Regards,
    Steve

While not directly addressing the OP, a person elsewhere claimed to have a dust allergy and set up a box fan with a furnace filter on both sides and reported it did a great job at removing dust from the air.

FWIW.
    Support your local animal shelter. They need us.

Quote Originally Posted by Grooves View Post
    A while back after loosing a TT motor to probable static build during Lp dust removal, I switched to cans of compressed air. While not perfect they work far better than any other method I've tried. Treatment before and after playing has kept my Lp's much cleaner and I don't worry about static increasing dust attraction or taking out my motor or PSU.
    So, to take it a step farther I'd like to either fill my own "spare tank" using my shop compressor or rent/refill a big cylinder of compressed air. I realize the need to filter out any oil/water vapor if I use a refillable "shop tank" or would go with "medical" grade compressed air (which contains no water/oil vapors) from a nearby supplier. I haven't priced a "supplier" cylinder as yet but I'm sure a larger cylinder would have a cheaper cost. If I use a refillable small tank using my compressor I could keep it in close to my TT area. I would also need a regulator valve so I could find a good PSI setting for a "just right" air pressure delivery.
    Has anyone tried this before or gone this route? What am I leaving out or not considering?

How did you manage to loose a Motor due to static?
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

ARGON - just a lazy gas

ARGON - the lazy gas, NOT oxidizing, NOT reducing, NOT corrosive. Just a lazy gas.

Get a nice 3 foot tall aluminum bottle [steel bottles are heavy] from a welding supply & an expensive/quality regulator.

Best to all,
    zz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12