Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressed Air and Lp Dust Removal....

Compressed Air and Lp Dust Removal....

A while back after loosing a TT motor to probable static build during Lp dust removal, I switched to cans of compressed air. While not perfect they work far better than any other method I've tried. Treatment before and after playing has kept my Lp's much cleaner and I don't worry about static increasing dust attraction or taking out my motor or PSU.
    So, to take it a step farther I'd like to either fill my own "spare tank" using my shop compressor or rent/refill a big cylinder of compressed air. I realize the need to filter out any oil/water vapor if I use a refillable "shop tank" or would go with "medical" grade compressed air (which contains no water/oil vapors) from a nearby supplier. I haven't priced a "supplier" cylinder as yet but I'm sure a larger cylinder would have a cheaper cost. If I use a refillable small tank using my compressor I could keep it in close to my TT area. I would also need a regulator valve so I could find a good PSI setting for a "just right" air pressure delivery.
    Has anyone tried this before or gone this route? What am I leaving out or not considering?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooves View Post
    A while back after loosing a TT motor to probable static build during Lp dust removal, I switched to cans of compressed air. While not perfect they work far better than any other method I've tried. Treatment before and after playing has kept my Lp's much cleaner and I don't worry about static increasing dust attraction or taking out my motor or PSU.
    So, to take it a step farther I'd like to either fill my own "spare tank" using my shop compressor or rent/refill a big cylinder of compressed air. I realize the need to filter out any oil/water vapor if I use a refillable "shop tank" or would go with "medical" grade compressed air (which contains no water/oil vapors) from a nearby supplier. I haven't priced a "supplier" cylinder as yet but I'm sure a larger cylinder would have a cheaper cost. If I use a refillable small tank using my compressor I could keep it in close to my TT area. I would also need a regulator valve so I could find a good PSI setting for a "just right" air pressure delivery.
    Has anyone tried this before or gone this route? What am I leaving out or not considering?
    Is your system setup in a house or a factory? Seems like an extreme measure of consideration to me.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

No more extreme than using a Vibraplane, or a Ultrasonic record cleaner, etc., etc. It's just that I found compressed air to be a great method to keep vinyl clean of dust. And it saves me from having to replace my German made TT motor which aint cheap either.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I use a photo blower sqeeze ball to blow dust off records before they spin. Brushes of any kind are inferior and I no longer use them.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooves View Post
    No more extreme than using a Vibraplane, or a Ultrasonic record cleaner, etc., etc. It's just that I found compressed air to be a great method to keep vinyl clean of dust. And it saves me from having to replace my German made TT motor which aint cheap either.
    I don't always use it, but I like compressed air for getting rid of dust underneath of my TT and other components I don't want or can't move.

I'm sorry if I came off a little forward at first, but if you are getting that much dust and are afraid of damaging your TT motor, perhaps you should be looking at improving something in your ventilation system. I lived on the 4th floor on a major thoroughfare and dust was a constant problem, but never such that I felt it would damage anything.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    I use a photo blower sqeeze ball to blow dust off records before they spin. Brushes of any kind are inferior and I no longer use them.
    I use one on my platter but still use a carbon brush for the LP itself. I do not press down hard with the carbon brush.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    I use one on my platter but still use a carbon brush for the LP itself. I do not press down hard with the carbon brush.
    I always felt brushes introduced dust to the groove. For me, after first clean with KL Audio, the record has no static...any subsequent play any dust does not stick. Using a nice puff of air blows it away. It is impossible to keep a brush dust free, imho.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    My problem with just a blower is dust sometimes ends up landing on a record anyway. In any case, after a good RCM cleaning we're talking about very light particles. Particles easily pushed aside by a stylus and quite inaudible even during frisky music playing.

I'm not sold on aerosol air sprays. Too much pressure I think. They also spurt vapor and even droplets.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    My problem with just a blower is dust sometimes ends up landing on a record anyway. In any case, after a good RCM cleaning we're talking about very light particles. Particles easily pushed aside by a stylus and quite inaudible even during frisky music playing.

I'm not sold on aerosol air sprays. Too much pressure I think. They also spurt vapor and even droplets.
    I won't you aerosol either. The propelent could have solvent properties that may affect the vinyl over time...
    I use this by Hakuba. Not sure if it's available any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Sounds like a good way to propel and impel dust particles etc. into the grooves... I prefer vacuum instead of air blasting most anything delicate.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast