JackD201 - Almost Done

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well Jack, if you're wearing Skechers shoes then the 11s would disappear from Jim's house instantly. Remember the Cheetah? LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Awwwww came across this pic taken by a guest at the old place once upon a time :)

Beast-01.jpg

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Hey those look like decent speakers except for the black midrange driver :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One of the very first 5s ever :D

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
Hi Jack, kinda new to this forum so i was just clicking around and i ended up here.
Gorgeous room, beautiful equipment and you even sound like a nice guy. Kudos and all that. Will keep my eyes open for your posting!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I haven't checked out my own thread for ages. Thanks for the kind words V. My wife thinks I'm a nice guy, I guess she's right because she's still putting up with me! LOL!

Last Monday some young musicians were at my place to listen to their rough mixes and their manager asked me to give them some tips on both sound and the industry (nevermind that part ;) ). I commented on how the rhythm section was all squished while the vocals were done well. I also commented that the guitars were living in the same space as the vocalist. I proceeded to demonstrate what I was telling them by going through various tracks where the bassists and drummers cut through the guitar washes and provided drive and foundation. Also tracks where the guitars were free and clear. I was playing just basic alternative rock from the 90's to the present. Basically a mini "best practices" thing featuring mix work from guys like Bob Clearmountain and such. The bassist said, yeah there's real power there. Really crunchy and up front. Maybe it's just the system. I switched to a Maysa track and he said "Holy Sh*t". I guess I haven't gone too far into the subjective then? :rolleyes: Always great when the system is tuned just so. That it can be both deep, sweet and mellow and in your face depending on the recording.

I love this hobby but Dang I'm really getting the itch to mix again. :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love this hobby but Dang I'm really getting the itch to mix again. :D

Get practicing Jack and send me your Tour Schedule later!:D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I switched to a Maysa track and he said "Holy Sh*t".

Which Maysa track from which album? I have a few of her solo albums and a couple of the Incognito albums and haven't went "Holy SH*t" yet. May be I need to buy the rest of her solo albums.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@Johnny - Man, I'm so rusty nobody would hire me. I bet I'd be working so slowly they'd go bankrupt with the studio time. LOL!

@Gary the track was Can We Change The World? Maysa self titled album. I don't think it was so much the song but rather the difference in presentation against Angels & Airwaves, Cinematic Sunrise and the other examples in their band's general genre which prompted the bassist's comment. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Funny you should mention the audiophile thing Gary. Now that we are deep into summer here, I'm listening to a whole lot more "non-audiophile" stuff. Rock, R&B even Pop. Basically stuff that is light and accessible to the rest of my family since the kids are around more and allowed to stay up. I've been playing lots of requests from them. I love it :)

I've also been very stress free of late and that's somehow cut down my thirst for classical. Happy times? Bring the Bebop! :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm a bit of the opposite - the more stressed I am, the less audiophile music I listen to. With my travel schedule over the next 4 months, and so much to do in-between travelling, the levels of stress are through the roof. Hence R&B, House, Ambient, Rock, and Pop - even Abba and The Carpenters got some play time :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's my regular commute fare, well maybe not ABBA :D Had too much of that sitting in the back of the station wagon as a kid. Waaaay too much!

Normally the deeper stuff is for my alone/recharge/decompression time. I love Ambient at the beach!

As for House, I DJ'ed at my last Bday party. I should post some pics. I started with Chicane's No More I Sleep. If you haven't heard it, I'm sure you'll love it. Good sonics too!

I've been spending too much on files from Beatport lately. Shhhhhhh. Don't tell the missus! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oooo Oooo Oooo! By the way. Two big pallets from Switzerland are going to be picked up by my forwarder any day now. :D

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I'm a bit of the opposite - the more stressed I am, the less audiophile music I listen to. With my travel schedule over the next 4 months, and so much to do in-between travelling, the levels of stress are through the roof. Hence R&B, House, Ambient, Rock, and Pop - even Abba and The Carpenters got some play time :D

Just worry when you move on from Abba to Mamma Mia OST :D
That said I really do enjoy that film lol.
Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just worry when you move on from Abba to Mamma Mia OST :D
That said I really do enjoy that film lol.
Cheers
Orb

I really do enjoy that film too. Whenever my kids and I play it, my wife goes and hides her ears. But she's of the generation after Abba.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The CH's have landed. It took a lot from myself and my driver, both fairly burly guys, to wrestle a single M1 out of it's box. We basically unboxed it like it was a loudspeaker. Tomorrow is going to be a loooooooong day. I need reinforcements!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
The CH's have landed. It took a lot from myself and my driver, both fairly burly guys, to wrestle a single M1 out of it's box. We basically unboxed it like it was a loudspeaker. Tomorrow is going to be a loooooooong day. I need reinforcements!

Congratulations Jack.

I know what you are saying. ;) They are 165+lb. beasts. You are in for some fun the next few days.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing