JackD201 - Almost Done

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Matsudaira-san is the genius behind not just MYSonic Labs but the man who makes the innards for Air Tight and TechDAS as well. I'm not surprised you like his stuff HF guy, I've been a happy customer for years now. He and Nishikawa-san go back 4 decades, their offices are just 15 minutes away from each other. Nishikawa-san told me that when he decided to design inert cartridge bodies Matsudaira-san was his automatic choice to supply the rest. When TD released the specs I knew it right away and I jumped immediately. The TD Ti is one of my favorites as is my Ultra Eminent Be.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Matsudaira-san is the genius behind not just MYSonic Labs but the man who makes the innards for Air Tight and TechDAS as well. I'm not surprised you like his stuff HF guy, I've been a happy customer for years now. He and Nishikawa-san go back 4 decades, their offices are just 15 minutes away from each other. Nishikawa-san told me that when he decided to design inert cartridge bodies Matsudaira-san was his automatic choice to supply the rest. When TD released the specs I knew it right away and I jumped immediately. The TD Ti is one of my favorites as is my Ultra Eminent Be.

I have not heard the TD Ti, but I agree about the skills of Matsdaira-san. I have both the MSL Signature Gold and the AirTight Supreme. I love them both, though they are slightly different. I'd love to hear the new MSL Platinum and AirTight Opus 1, but they are both extremely expensive and I suppose very limited production. I really like the balance between natural sound and detail. My two cartridges are both highly resolving, yet smooth, and have no aggressive fatigue causing edge. Truly remarkable sonics.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Jack,

Have you heard the new, top-of-the-line MSL Platinum Signature?

This cartridge will compete with the new, top-of-the-line Air Tight PC-1 Opus. Have you heard the Opus?

(As people who liked them had no complaints with either the current Ultra Eminent EX or the PC-1 Supreme both new product releases are obvious, transparent efforts to maximize audiophilia nervosa.) :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ron,

Unfortunately I have not. I've pulled way back on my spending, way back. I'm currently just enjoying what I have. A cart that I would like to try out and it costs a whole lot less is the new Phasmation. My pinched wallet might allow for that one. :)

JD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you Jack.

(But this means I'm going to have to choose between these cartridges on my own!)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Nope not yet. I made an inquiry but Motofumi-san said they were made to order. Had they had some in stock, I might have pulled the trigger. I chickened out eventually and allocated the funds towards their limited edition demo LP releases. :D

apparently machining titanium is very difficult and expensive. I'm interested in hearing the diff with this platter. I'm not going to spend $14,000 to find out though. Bob Graham needs to get a demo platter for us to try with no obligation to buy it if we don't like it or think the improvement is worth the money. I like having the added rotational weight of the stainless platter...to me, more weight may means better rotational speed stability. I would guess the Titanium platter will be lighter than duralumin and maybe lighter than the resin platter they discontinued. So we lose rotational mass with the titanium platter. I can only assume the metal gives a more pleasant resonant frequency.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Christian

I'm not scheduled to go to Tokyo anytime soon but if I get to go the soonest would be September. Should that materialize, I'll listen to the platter at the Stella showroom and report back.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Christian

I'm not scheduled to go to Tokyo anytime soon but if I get to go the soonest would be September. Should that materialize, I'll listen to the platter at the Stella showroom and report back.

Speaking of Tokyo, are there any places in Tokyo you recommend for finding difficult to find CDs, ideally at better prices than on Amazon? I am thinking rare remasterings, perhaps Esoteric remastered CDs, etc. Thanks for any guidance! We hope to go this spring.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Visited Jack yesterday afternoon and coincidentally, his new updates for the AirForce1 just arrived with him from Tokyo. Was able to watch Jack replace the pulley into a new one and had close up looks of the fit and finish of the parts used in this mighty looking turntable. And actually I was able to leave my fingerprints in the small PCB as Jack asked me to help snap in the cables into its sockets with very little breathing space to work on. :D I felt like the techguy of Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible. :D

Well, all I cay say is, Jack is *not yet* done. :)

111.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The future is bright my friend :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the help Phil, you could have been a surgeon :D

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In case I got too excited? LOL.

Best way to clean the glass float is with damp (water) double ply toilet paper, then polished with the same. Leaves no stray fibers. It is more painstaking than microfiber but with TP I can easily see if my material and surface is clean and I'm not just rubbing dirt around. It works great for polishing stainless steel too. ;) Small circles, small circles :D

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
In case I got too excited? LOL.Best way to clean the glass float is with damp (water) double ply toilet paper, then polished with the same. Leaves no stray fibers. It is more painstaking than microfiber but with TP I can easily see if my material and surface is clean and I'm not just rubbing dirt around. It works great for polishing stainless steel too. ;) Small circles, small circles :D
I'm always learning from you Jack. I feel like I should be paying tuition.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I learned that from the local TW Acoustic distributor. Just passing it on :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In case I got too excited? LOL.

Best way to clean the glass float is with damp (water) double ply toilet paper, then polished with the same. Leaves no stray fibers. It is more painstaking than microfiber but with TP I can easily see if my material and surface is clean and I'm not just rubbing dirt around. It works great for polishing stainless steel too. ;) Small circles, small circles :D

And the ultimate test is that you will all the black dust/dust all absorbed by the toilet paper. Repeat procedure till your toilet paper is still white. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing