JackD201 - Almost Done

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It started literally as a creepy subterranean bunker....

As the rock wool and double walls came in....

then came the custom treatments and frames....

Problem is I knew I had to bring the VR-9s through these stairs down to the basement....

We don't have big guys like you have over there. So I opted to have this built instead. Should come in handy if I ever get even bigger loudspeakers....

Here they are provisionally positioned in the unfinished room. I'm still waiting on Guilford of Maine fabric that's been delayed. The garbage bags on the wall are growing on me though. Very Dark City ;)

and from some alternate angles....

The analog rig will move in once all the fabrics are up and the rugs soon after.

Thanks for looking!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That looks stunning Jack! I think I may have to do a stopever in Manilla when I visit my brothers in Vietnam next!

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Steve and John! 20 years of dreaming and saving. I have to admit it feels REAL good! All of you are welcome should you pass by these parts. I make a mean prime rib too :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Steve and John! 20 years of dreaming and saving. I have to admit it feels REAL good! All of you are welcome should you pass by these parts. I make a mean prime rib too :)

How long did it take to get everything done up to now?

John

PS: I like my Prime Rib RARE!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
About 14 months from slabs to now. The rest of the house had to be finished first. You know, Dad comes last ;) The HT was up weeks ago. Shoot! I should take pics and post that too shouldn't I? I promised es347.

120 deg F Center cut, you got it ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations! It looks truly stunning...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Now that's room treatment!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks again guys!

Gavin, I wanted a fireman pole but the wife figured I might have a Natalie Portman look-a-like dancing on it ala Closer if she wasn't around ;)

For those that PMed, the chair is an Auckland by Cassina. The headrest can be brought down to shoulder height (I'm 5'10") so I can do my William Shatner impersonation or up around the head so I can do my Adam West. It feels and smells like a GT drivers seat. I highly recommend it to those looking to be comfortable but not fall asleep at the wheel of a turntable spinning at 45rpm.

Greg, my father always told me "Do it once, do it right". So I decided on a ground up build. I ended up tearing down the old house my wife and I bought and built under and over it. The ceiling slab is cantilevered and has only one cross beam. Dimensions wise I picked out prime numbers to avoid multiples. The dimensions are 3m Height (finished...damn beam!), 7m width 11m length (slab to slab). Never saw this in any text books, most charts generated are for 50sqm or less. The idea of using prime number dimensions just seemed so right I gambled. I figured the Lyngdorf could cover me since there are no early reflections other than the floor anyhow. Turns out there is a 230V RP-1 for sale cheap if anybody wants mine. The result is no suck outs in the bass. Modal distribution is in the 3 digits frequency range ;) Noisefloor is below 30dB with the AC running. I'm running ducts 35% larger than standard specs for low velocity. The rest of the acoustics I left to the professional acoustician who did our recording studios and soundstages. Besides, he's leaps and bounds better than I ever was so that too seemed the logical thing to do. I'll post measurements when everything is done and I get the 4 mono blocks matched properly. The bass amps need some attenuation.

What I didn't make provisions for was for isolation transformers. My brother had been telling me to do it but for some reason I shrugged it off. Now that I've opted to go straight into the wall and floor lines, orphaning my V-Rays. I'm regretting that.

Next big step is the lighting. Inside the Onyx bar are the DMX controllers for the LED cove lights and 4 Martin Alien 05s will be transplanted from my old listening room a couple of clicks away. The wave will also be backlit.

Back to eBay to hunt down more LPs :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That is fantastic. I hate you. :)

Prime numbers are a great way to minimize room modes and most studios and many other spaces use that approach. I did plan that for my media room, until we added/enlarged a basement bedroom and the volume came out of my HT room. Now, I have a few nasty humps...

30 dB noise floor is outstanding!

We (maybe just I) badly need a great big green "envy" emoticon... - Don

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We all need that big green envy emoticon Don! Steve's pre and amps, Myles' record collection, Ron's prog CDs, Mike's Rockport, Albert P's Coral Stone, all those R2R and TP tapes, oh the list goes on and on! This is WBF after all! Important thing is it's not real envy and that we're all happy for each other :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just say when Mullard, Let's have Jadis over also. :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi JackD201,

Let's schedule after the Lamm M1.2 amps are set-up. May I bring supermario when I visit you?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sure! I can also hand him the LL2 for a check up :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, that is a nicer room than anything I would even dream about at home let alone build :). Congrats. Must put a smile on your face to show it to folks before you even turn int on :D.

How are the construction costs in Philippines? I assume much lower than states. Yes?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh much, much less Amir. What I spent treating and lighting this room wouldn't buy a pair of mono amps from Lamm or Spectral :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing