Oct 22, 2011
Thanks Nick.

Now step away from the computer and get back to the shop! :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There you go! Nick is the best!! I just know that whatever head you go with, stick with it. These pre-amps are built for a certain inductance for each head.
Mine are differentially balanced in/out with XLR in/out. Waited a year for them but well worth it.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I have been fortunate to hear Nick's tape pre-amp and it is just wonderful. The sound that comes from it is BIG! And yet it lets through those subtle cues and micro detail easily.

The matching head was also part of the system and I feel that certainly gave it the edge.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just received my tape preamp V3.0 from nick and my head block which has a Flux Magnetics head, installed by JRF and wired by Nick.

I won't post impressions until I have listened to the unit for a couple weeks, but the unit's build is solid and is working nicely out of the box.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I just received my tape preamp V3.0 from nick and my head block which has a Flux Magnetics head, installed by JRF and wired by Nick.

I won't post impressions until I have listened to the unit for a couple weeks, but the unit's build is solid and is working nicely out of the box.
You're in for a real treat! Please post your impressions.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You're in for a real treat! Please post your impressions.

Do you have one of these? If so, have you done any tube rolling?

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I do and I did :)

I use a quad matched set of ECC801S

Also own one as well & echo Steve with matched ERCC801's.

More macro & micro detail. Great bass control. Not to knock the other tape pre's but the Doshi fits my system.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are the Telefunkens considered the best of the ECC801s? Finding an NOS quad will be challenging.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Are the Telefunkens considered the best of the ECC801s? Finding an NOS quad will be challenging.

Some call the ECC801S the Holy Grail as also the ECC803S. I use the ECC801S in Nick's tape pre and the ECC803S in my amp. You guys have the great fortune of having Nick's current version whereas mine was probably the first version. Having said that and knowing that Nick has put a lot of effort and thought into the new version and one day I know I will send mine back to Nick to do the upgrade but for now I love what mine does and FWIW, I auditioned several and they were all noisy whereas Nick's unit is dead quiet and will put goose bumps on our skin when you hear your tape through his unit. IMO Nick's tape pre is the Holy Grail of tape preamps and everyone should have a listen because the sound is extraordinary

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I swapped out the Telefunken ECC81s for a pair of Mullard CV4024s and like them a lot better.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am listening to a master protection copy of Coltrane's Ole' through Nick's preamp. Wow. I have never heard this album sound like this. Of course, it has a lot to do with the tape too, but the preamp brings the best out of the source.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Testing Telefunken ECC 801S

I just purchased a quad of these from a reliable ebay seller. However, in testing them on my Jackson 646S they are all reading at about 70%. Is there something unusual about how these test? I am using the jackson settings for an ECC 801s which are the same as a 12AT7.

Any help would be appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing