Doshi V3.0 Tape Preamp

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I got a chance to see and listen to Nick Doshi's v3.0 tape preamp at Axpona. Needless to say, I want one. This is one beautiful looking and sounding piece of equipment. Nick had his Technics head block wired to the preamp. The combination is pure bliss.

Myles, I know you reviewed his phono pre. Have you reviewed any version of the tube pre?

Reactions: Lee

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've used both his tape and phono pre for years. The tape pre is the best I've heard and I've compared many.

Reactions: Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've used both his tape and phono pre for years. The tape pre is the best I've heard and I've compared many.

Like Bruce I was one of the first to use Nick's tape pre and IMO he has hit it out of the ball park. Best tape pre I have ever heard

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
As I said, it is on my list of wants. The price tag of $14k is the only challenge.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is that what it is? When I saw the new ones at the show, they only stated < $20k

I believe that is the cost that I heard Nick say.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
what justifies a cost like that apart from a fancy chassis?
best
Leif

Nick is a one man operation and he builds quality gear. It was for my ears the first tubed tape pre that I heard that was completely free of noise. Sound is so good that I rolled a matched quad set of NOS Tele ECC 801S's into the unit

For me it was worth it. BTW I had to wait 4 months to get mine. You won't be disappointed

I have a review of it somewhere in my system blog

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yours is different...isn't it?
Would you mind describing your custom unit?
Pics would be great, too.
:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My brother has a couple of custom jobs. I guess it's hard for Nick to put a specific price precisely because there are quite a few add on options like choosing only the EQ options you need or going for all of them. If I heard Jim correctly (we'd had a couple of bottles of wine) Nick's working on selectable output stage sections for one of Jim's units. You can switch between Class A and Class AB. Stuff like that.

Yo Bruce, how ya doing?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yo Bruce, how ya doing?

Nck's stuff is truly remarkable. He told me to send my unit in for more updates after he returned from Axpona. I'm always weary any time I send something out for updating. I use this for all my archival transfers and dubbing.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Nck's stuff is truly remarkable. He told me to send my unit in for more updates after he returned from Axpona. I'm always weary any time I send something out for updating. I use this for all my archival transfers and dubbing.

Bruce, can you explain what, if any, customized changes you had done to your unit? I am going to order one and am interested in what others have done.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
David, what transport will you be using?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Probably a Technics RS-1500. I have new relapped heads on that machine.

if you go with a fine tape pre like the Doshi, I would get better heads if the one's you currently have are stock but relapped technics heads. Nortronics or Flux Magnetics from JRF are the way to go. I have Nortronics on my Technics 1500. I am not sure if Flux can fit in the 1500 head block or not.

Last edited:

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Hello,

do not want to hijack the post so sorry for the intrusion.

Flux heads can indeed fit a Technics Headblock. I was using the lowest output flux heads (Extended Response) on the Technics Transport at Axpona. This is a luxury afforded by the low noise of the unit and allows longer cable runs from the heads without HF losses. Eagle eyed show goers may have noticed the JRF sticker on the headblock. Feel free to contact John French or let me know if I can help in any way. I have a couple of 1500 machines so mounting and alignment of the specific head should not be a problem. The ER heads are really good and JRF does a great job of cleaning the guides and optical alignment.
Lastly, I should say that the stock technics head is capable of fine sound as well and can be used as an introductory setup so please don't think it is a prerequisite to have the FM heads.

if you go with a fine phono pre like the Doshi, I would get better heads if the one's you currently have are stock but relapped technics heads. Nortronics or Flux Magnetics from JRF are the way to go. I have Nortronics on my Technics 1500. I am not sure if Flux can fit in the 1500 head block or not.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hardly hijacking, IMO.

OTOH, compared to the cost of your preamp the cost of new heads is almost insignificant ;)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hello,

do not want to hijack the post so sorry for the intrusion.

Flux heads can indeed fit a Technics Headblock. I was using the lowest output flux heads (Extended Response) on the Technics Transport at Axpona. This is a luxury afforded by the low noise of the unit and allows longer cable runs from the heads without HF losses. Eagle eyed show goers may have noticed the JRF sticker on the headblock. Feel free to contact John French or let me know if I can help in any way. I have a couple of 1500 machines so mounting and alignment of the specific head should not be a problem. The ER heads are really good and JRF does a great job of cleaning the guides and optical alignment.
Lastly, I should say that the stock technics head is capable of fine sound as well and can be used as an introductory setup so please don't think it is a prerequisite to have the FM heads.

Nick, I just got off the phone with John. He is going to build me a head block with a Flux head to match your preamp. He is going to call you to confirm that electronics specifics for the balanced cable out.

I am convinced that the nicest guys in audio (Nick and John) and the guys who work with reels!

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
aww shucks - thanks.

my feeling is that these threads are for you to speak your mind. manufacturers should try to leave well enough alone.

maybe we can get you to bring the machine down - we'll install the block and do a complete alignment with the heads into the preamp etc.
should be fun

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing