Linear Phase vs Minimum Phase Listening Test

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Archimago has a new test.

There are many who believe strongly in upsamping digital files. There are many arguments put forth but I thought it would interesting to know to what extent folks can really hear a difference between different upsamping filters. More importantly, I want to know which filter folks prefer. Personally, since I need DSP for my system, I can't take this test. I do prefer linear phase filters for the DSP I use though. But that's a very different application.

I am interested to know what others hear or don't hear. Download the upsampled files from the link below.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/04/internet-blind-test-linear-vs-minimum.html?m=1

Report your findings here once:
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/h3fzrf9bnlk53i7654880

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I know from my own personal preference I enjoy listening to filter/co-efficient that takes into consideration some form of minimum phase co-efficient (can still be close-ish to linear such as Wadia and MBL) ; seems I notice this more obviously on drums-cymbals-etc and sibilance, and more subtly some perceived "unnaturalness" for reverb-ambient phase-etc, other aspects would be much more subjective in terms of overall listening.

Keith Howard has done a lot of investigation-articles regarding digital filters/distortion/hires/etc and also developed his own analysis tools in many instances.
Good example of one article relates to Digital filtering (which is applicable to both oversampling-interpolation and also reconstruction).
Ringing False: Digital Audio's Ubiquitous Filter - http://www.stereophile.com/reference/106ringing/index.html

Edit:
LOL somehow missed while reading Archimago blog that he also mentions Keith Howard, also just want to say ringing is fundamentally time domain.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Also just to add,
the biggest issue I see with this test is that the listeners will be using their own DACs and unfortunately this means the test becomes muddled IMO because these also have their own interpolation and reconstruction filters.
The number of DACs that the engineers actually control both interpolation and reconstruction filter are in the minority because most DACs use the integrated functions provided on the DAC chip by the manufacturer that can be rather limited in capability-function (one aspect is hardware limited resources in this situation) or only defaults have been applied.
Only way around this is to use Archimago's filter design with a PC and software that has same or can import those filter co-efficients.

Maybe I am missing something *shrug*.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing