Luxman C-900u Preamplifier

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I've owned the Luxman C-900u flagship preamplifier for nine months now, and it is absolutely one of the finest components I have ever come across. Not only is its sonic performance at the highest level, but it is literally built like a tank and always an absolute pleasure to use. I noticed that there were no posts about it yet in this forum, so I thought that I'd provide my initial impressions below which I provided to Philip O'Hanlon after purchasing it. While it is not inexpensive every time I listen to it I realize that it is one of the best purchases I have ever made!

"After breaking in the Luxman C-900u for just over 200 hours, I anxiously sat down for a listen. What stunned me was how dramatically it improved my system’s performance. It’s difficult to put into words what I experienced, but I’ll do my best to detail the changes heard.

I began the listening session at very low volumes and it immediately sounded so realistic, like music was actually being performed in the room and very unlike typical hi-fi reproduction. Even when I stepped into another room the realism of the musical portrayal remained evident. At higher volumes the room was effortlessly filled with music having an amazing sense of space and harmonic integrity along with a completely natural decay. The music now has a realistic density that I never experienced before.

Inner detail was revealed from familiar recordings in layers that I didn’t previously know existed, making the presentation very musically engaging. There are no solid state artifacts, just a completely natural musical flow along with a very convincing recreation of the recording’s acoustic space. While being so revealing of detail it is never analytical in nature like some electronics can be. Instead the detail is reproduced as a portion of the musical whole that simply helps recreate a stunning degree of realism.

High frequencies are crystal clear and dynamics are effortlessly reproduced. Plucked strings including those from an upright bass have a natural resonant quality with the texture of the instruments being accurately portrayed. The overall sound is always presented in a very smooth and musical way. Everything appears on the blackest of backgrounds with each instrument being portrayed in its own sense of space with an alluring airiness to the presentation.

The attention to detail and build quality of this piece are immediately apparent, and its user interface is an absolute pleasure to use. I don’t often use the term “reference quality” but I think that it clearly applies to this preamp. It is an extremely refined design that I will be proud to have as the anchor of my system for many years to come."

haarvi

Mar 20, 2022
@audio.bill
Two questions:
1) What power amp have you been using with the Luxman C-900u?
And...
2) If you have made any use of the Loudness adjustment which is found on the remote, is there anything you can tell me about your impressions of its functionality.

I ask the second question because of what I have read about the helpfulness of using Loudness Control when listening at low volume.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
@audio.bill
Two questions:
1) What power amp have you been using with the Luxman C-900u?
And...
2) If you have made any use of the Loudness adjustment which is found on the remote, is there anything you can tell me about your impressions of its functionality.

I ask the second question because of what I have read about the helpfulness of using Loudness Control when listening at low volume.
I use the matching Luxman M-900u power amp. A loudness function was much more common in receivers and preamps back in the 70's and 80's, and adds an EQ with some boost in the bass and highs at lower volume levels. As you increase the volume level the loudness function in some implementations decrease the amount of EQ applied. It can help to improve dynamics and tonal balance when listening at lower levels, but whether it is preferred or not will depend on many factors in the system as well as user preference.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...interesting that m900u comments would surface, as I was just considering how little you read about Luxman gear. Must not be much budget for marketing in the US.

I have two m900u amps bridged and the c900u "pre." Fantastic sound. So musically satisfying. Sorry I cannot be helpful re: loudness button, as I never use it.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
although almost never use the loudness button (i have C900u pre + 2x C900m amps) it can get quite handy when listening on low volume, it's giving you a bust for some frequencies (bass for example) without getting the overall volume up.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Hello, I have

-CD08U
-stealth indra v10
-C900u
-nordost valhalla 2
-M900u

Which interconnect would you recommand To replace stealth indra v10 ?

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hello @felipe91
I have been using the Iconoclast POCC xlrs for a couple of years and they sound great. However, I just this morning wrote to Dave C re: ZenWave demo based on comments in that thread. The timing was good to read your comments there. I also demo-ed but did not purchase the new Sablon xlrs. Highs seemed a bit emphasized to my ears. I can post back if I get a demo of the ZenWaves.

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Hello @felipe91
I have been using the Iconoclast POCC xlrs for a couple of years and they sound great. However, I just this morning wrote to Dave C re: ZenWave demo based on comments in that thread. The timing was good to read your comments there. I also demo-ed but did not purchase the new Sablon xlrs. Highs seemed a bit emphasized to my ears. I can post back if I get a demo of the ZenWaves.

Hello MarkusBarkus, Yes i would be interested to know your feeling with ZenWaves cable!​

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Hello, I have

-CD08U
-stealth indra v10
-C900u
-nordost valhalla 2
-M900u

Which interconnect would you recommand ro replace stealth indra v10 ?
I use a full loom of Cardas Clear cables (Speaker, IC, PC, USB, Ethernet)

What speakers are u using?

felipe91

May 23, 2022
I use a full loom of Cardas Clear cables (Speaker, IC, PC, USB, Ethernet)

What speakers are u using?
Thanks. They have a very good reputation. are you satisfied?
Do you think there is a big difference between " clear" and "clear beyond"?

nota: I use french speakers Pierre-Etienne Leon, "MAESTRAL BE" (BErylium tweeter).

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks. They have a very good reputation. are you satisfied?
Do you think there is a big difference between " clear" and "clear beyond"?

nota: I use french speakers Pierre-Etienne Leon, "MAESTRAL BE" (BErylium tweeter).
I'm more than satisfied with them, (a couple of years ago when i checked cables i compared them to VDH and Purist - Preferred the Cardas).
didn't compare them on my setup against Cristal Cable or Siltec.
I can say i heard the same setup as i have (Luxman 900 pre/amp + Magico S3MK2) with inakustik (4004) loom of cables, the result was good and different from the cardas i have, different but not better.

regards "clear beyond" cables, did not have the [pleasure to test those on my system, i'm sure they are better but honestly the whole cable thing just got out of proportion - i prefer to put my money elsewhere (acoustics, amp, speaker, source).

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

felipe91

May 23, 2022
I'm more than satisfied with them, (a couple of years ago when i checked cables i compared them to VDH and Purist - Preferred the Cardas).
didn't compare them on my setup against Cristal Cable or Siltec.
I can say i heard the same setup as i have (Luxman 900 pre/amp + Magico S3MK2) with inakustik (4004) loom of cables, the result was good and different from the cardas i have, different but not better.

regards "clear beyond" cables, did not have the [pleasure to test those on my system, i'm sure they are better but honestly the whole cable thing just got out of proportion - i prefer to put my money elsewhere (acoustics, amp, speaker, source).
Yes I agree, and the most expensive cables are not always the best for one setup. cardas clear is a possibility for me.

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Yes, the clear beyond is my short list. I know it's very good.

Is it as flexible/light as the clear? what is the break-in period?

pnp

Nov 28, 2012
Yes, it's flexible.
Break-in, in my experience about it takes about 200 hours to be at it's best.

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Yes, it's flexible.
Break-in, in my experience about it takes about 200 hours to be at it's best.
thank you. clear beyond is a good option. it would replace my stealth indra V10.
I've also a Nordost valhalla 2 XLR. Has someone tried Nordost valhalla 2 with luxman devices?

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Hello,

I finally replaced my Stealth indra v10 XLR by a French interconnect, Esprit Eureka G9 (between D08 u and C900 u) , with very good results: more details and more density, better basses, deeper sounstage..etc. This cable is heavy and stiff.
I had the opportunity to test it at home, and i kept it! the seller bought a Gaïa G9 instead.

After that, I also replaced the nordost valhalla 2 XLR (between C900 u and M900 u) by a Gobel lacorde statement XLR (from Germany) , I also got better results. I was lucky to find a used one because I knew that some people prefered it to Kubala Sosna Elation , which is a reference.

Of course, there are a lot other cables (and probably better) which can match with Luxman devices ...

Philippe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing