Is anything above a BMW 3 series overkill for everyday driving?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I really like the 3 series. I think it is the best car out there from a practical and fun perspective. For every day driving, I am wondering if the m3 or the 6 series is just a waste of money.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had to previous series 3, a 325Ci and a 330 prior my current 545, all I can say is that as good as the 3-series is within its category, the series 5 (even the new 528i) will set you in a great treat of comfort, handling, power and POO.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I saw a clip of Vicky of 5th Gear chasing down a dead ringer of my e46 M3 in a 330d on youtube. Made me think!

With BMWs you really don't need the M Cars to have fun, the M cars are just MORE fun!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Overkill is a matter of perspective. If you have a car that is safe, accelerates well, handles well provides reasonable comfort and fun, than you could say anything else above that is overkill.
If you want a status statement, something that will tear apart the asphalt on a race track, and outperform the nearest competitors by fractions of a second, then there is no such thing as excess or overkill.
For everyday driving only, most premium cars are overkill.
For bombast, testosterone, and flagrant excess, the sky is the limit.
But you already knew that, you probably just want some encouragement to up the ante on choice B.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had to previous series 3, a 325Ci and a 330 prior my current 545, all I can say is that as good as the 3-series is within its category, the series 5 (even the new 528i) will set you in a great treat of comfort, handling, power and POO.

An argument could be made between the M3 and the M5 .. The M3 would get the upper hand in that match ..The M3 represents IMO the car to beat when one thinks about sports car.. It is spacious, almost normal until the 440 HP starts rumbling and there not too many cars that can match it ... That includes a bevy of AMG from M-B and several Italian exotics and a few Porsche ... Long list All manufacturers are aiming at the M3 ...
for around $65K .. it is very hard to do better

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Whatever the choice, I would stick to the most tricked out sedan that keeps curb weight below about 3400 pounds. It seems that above that weight, no matter what the power or technology, cars seriously begin to lose their "tossability" factor due to the laws of inertia. I think that tossability is part of the "fun" factor even more than straight line acceleration.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Indeed! Top speed wise I begin to chicken out at 220kph. I've seen minivans doing that in US Interstates. Thats not even close to the 155mph gentleman's agreement. I love the twisties! So it's light and RWD for me. For practicality, the boot has got to accommodate my golf set. 95% of the time my road trips are about Golf anyhow.

A bit like Audio I guess. Many systems will do 110dB but......It's all about how you get there ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
TEST DRIVE THE 540i. THEN WE CAN TALK. WHEN YOU ACCELERATE IT WILL THROW YOU BACK AGAINST THE SEAT. WHEN YOU CORNER YOU'LL FEEL LIKE GEORGE CASTANZA OF SEINFELD IN THAT EPISODE WHERE A U TURN IS MADE THROWING HIM UP AGAINST THE WINDOW. FINALLY SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND WATCH YOUR CONTACT LENSES BOUNCE OF THE WINDSHIELD. ALL OF THIS IN AIR CONDITIONED COMFORT WHILE VIVALDI PLAYS IN SILENT BACKGROUND ACROSS THE STEREO.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Then test drive the M5 and throw away the stereo. You won't even want to listen to music. You'll likely be driving around looking for tunnels to blast through with the windows down ;) ;) ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Vr9se and bmw m5. Let's see should i take the short cut home and listen to the stereo or take the country road and blast the m5? Must be nice.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It'll have to be the VR9........I don't have an M5, I've only just ridden in one! ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think some of this has to do with what you do with the car. When I bought my 5 series BMW, I had to constantly take out people to lunch and such and the backseat of that car was barely adequate. The 3 was impossible.

My son has the 3 series and the experience driving it is just incredible. Something I did not get in the 5. So there are the compromises.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
and an 85 M6

This is a collectors item now. I hope the lucky guy you sold it to appreciated what he got. The purists say e30, the speed demons the e92. The good looking owners the e46. Hahahahaha! Okay, I'm still sour graping after seeing that e90 330 diesel on the e46's tail!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I think some of this has to do with what you do with the car. When I bought my 5 series BMW, I had to constantly take out people to lunch and such and the backseat of that car was barely adequate. The 3 was impossible.

My son has the 3 series and the experience driving it is just incredible. Something I did not get in the 5. So there are the compromises.

I'd agree about the rear legroom! My wife has the 2010 535i with the "M" sport package. She previously had the 335i ('07). I don't find anything lacking in the driving performance of the 535iM, since it has shift point and suspension enhancements when in "sport" mode. In fact, I think it's a bit faster than the 335i she had with the same motor. According to the dealer, this 535i is only 100lbs. heavier than the 335i.

Either way, they're pretty nice automobiles. The 535i is definitely a step up in luxury, though.

Lee

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
One other thing... I decided for the 5 series some years back to replace a 330 because of the extra back-seat space ' while we usually pick the MiniVan of my wife for weekends (she stills refuses to buy something less than a 3 row-seat option), my teenager kids just were squeezing-in the 330 when there was no other available option.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, you guys make me sad.... After needing a larger car, I bought an SUV but saved my 5 series BMW for my son who was to get his driver's license 3 years later. The car sat there and all of a sudden, developed a blown head gasket. And shortly after, its water pump died too. Then the usual power lock problem came up where you couldn't unlock the door anymore (so they had to disassemble the door to get fix it at $$$ cost). I pay some $5,000 for all of these repairs. My son gets his license and a couple of months later and has a fender bender as he runs into the driver ahead of him. Take the car to state-farm and they declare it totaled because of high expense of getting parts for BMW!!! :( This was a 1997 car with only 45,000 miles on it. The car was completely drivable with just the radiator fan torn up and the front fender and quarter panels bent a bit.

I had such fond memories of that car that it was hard to let it go for such a minor event. But that is how our economic system seems to work....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
All this talk about BMW made me pay a visit to my local BMW dealer. It was Saturday so I did not trouble anyone for a test drive. It is no longer the 540i but the 550i. Still less than VR9se. It will navigate, for a family of four ,the winding road to grandmas house in record time in spacious comfort. At slightly less, the Mercedes Benz E350 now comes in convertible.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ooooo, the new E-class, now that's another nice range of cars. Much sportier in feel and handling than the last two generations but still comfortable and luxurious. There's something about the torque curves of MBs that's appealing.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Whatever the choice, I would stick to the most tricked out sedan that keeps curb weight below about 3400 pounds. It seems that above that weight, no matter what the power or technology, cars seriously begin to lose their "tossability" factor due to the laws of inertia. I think that tossability is part of the "fun" factor even more than straight line acceleration.

I agree 100%!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
For everyday driving, I would get the base model of the new Merc S-class. In terms of ride comfort, nothing can beat this car (OK, maybe the RR can - never driven one). The cost of the S350 and M3 is similar.

For spirited driving - the M3 is a no brainer.

PS. Audi S5 driver.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing