Pink Faun av Streamer

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Here is the inside of my new server (Pink Faun av streamer) currently on the testbench. Massive linear powersupply. Operating system on a chip, 2 x 1TB SSD (for music), and 2 x 6TB for video. Multi channel I2S card, which will be feeding a stack of 3 x Directstream PS audio DACs over I2S.

I am speculating his machine can go toe to toe with the best 5 figure servers. Will take delivery in a week or two I hope.

Av Streamer.JPG

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice !

How much is it ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Nice !

How much is it ?

I paid around $5,000. There is about $2,500 of standard components (including $1,200 for the 4 drives). The power supply and I2S card are custom build and should be added to the cost just to build it. How they make any money at this pricepoint is a mystery to me.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Is that an ATX PSU ?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
So is that good bad or indifferent?

On other forums enthusiasts have been enthusiastic about the product. Personally, I have no experience and don't know how it would compare with what vendors such as Aurender or Core Audio are using.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
On other forums enthusiasts have been enthusiastic about the product. Personally, I have no experience and don't know how it would compare with what vendors such as Aurender or Core Audio are using.

The secret sauce is in the powersupply and the custom I2S card. Lots of attention to detail - the OS is running on a chip. The whole philosophy is shortening the digital signal path. I listened to the I2S card already in my CAPS 3.0, but never did a proper A/B comparison.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
So is that good bad or indifferent?

There are two types of PSUs. ATX or single rail.

Single rail uses a single voltage input, usually on a barrel DC connector. ATX uses standard ATX connector, which looks like this:

atx-power-connector-4014721.jpg

With single rail MoBos, all voltage regulation is done on the MoBo, with inbuilt DC-DC converters, which are quite noisy.

With ATX input, you get an option to use a linear PSU, with high quality, low noise voltage regulators. That gives sound quality advantage.

How much is the board, with the case and PSU ? (no I2s card and no HDDs)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Single rail uses a single voltage input, usually on a barrel DC connector. ATX uses standard ATX connector, which looks like this:

View attachment 20067

With single rail MoBos, all voltage regulation is done on the MoBo, with inbuilt DC-DC converters, which are quite noisy.

With ATX input, you get an option to use a linear PSU, with high quality, low noise voltage regulators. That gives sound quality advantage.

That would be 3,600 euro, or about $4,000. This includes VAT, so for non EU countries, subtract about 20%.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA

View attachment 20067

In regards to single or dual rail, with a good linear power supply feeding the Pico PSU you will have extremely low ripple effect due too the LPSU. Also a good quality Pico PSU can provide low noise performance.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
In regards to single or dual rail, with a good linear power supply feeding the Pico PSU you will have extremely low ripple effect due too the LPSU. Also a good quality Pico PSU can provide low noise performance.

True, but I still believe you can do much better with all linear PSU. PicoPSU uses same noisy DC/DC converters as single rain MoBos. The only difference is that they are outboard.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That would be 3,600 euro, or about $4,000. This includes VAT, so for non EU countries, subtract about 20%.

Can you post some images which would show some design details - how it looks from the outside, back etc.

And having explained what ATX is, can you verify is that an ATX PSU ?

Mysound

Oct 16, 2015
Hello Edorr

Could you tell us your findings with the AV streamer, what does it sound like? I'm interested in buying one myself. Thx.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Hello Edorr

Could you tell us your findings with the AV streamer, what does it sound like? I'm interested in buying one myself. Thx.

It probably sounds like music. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing