NBA Finals Conspiracy Theory

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Players just started reporting to camp and the regular season begins in 1 month.

Channeling Mel Gibson for a moment, if you are a conspiracy theorist and believe that the NBA itself and/or the TV networks and advertisers can exert influence over which teams make it to the finals, which 2 teams do you believe they would propel to the finals?

In the west it is the Lakers (barring serious injuries to Kobe or Gasol), but which team comes from the east?

Is it the Heat with their 3 stars? Or is it the Celtics again, which would sort of settle the score -- you know, 2 out of 3 -- with the added drama of having Shaq back in the finals but playing for the Celts?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I still like the Celts because they know how to play defense, something the Big3 and the Heat IMO dont have. To watch LeBron give up in the last final game of the past two seasons when his team was losing was nothing short of shameful.

I still believe the Heat has to get by the Celts and/or the Magic to prevail in the east

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Well!! lets see...... since the inception of the NBA only 2 teams have accounted for I think 1/2 of the Championship titles. So the logical answer would be the Lakers & Celtics. Hmmm conspiracy somewhere???? YA Think?
But hay, lets see who can throw around the most money & maybe buy themselves a ring.
I love the pro game as much as anyone but it truly has become a joke & has been for a long time.

sorry, just my two cents.

great topic, should spur some response

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

It will be the Lakers and ... not-The_Heat in the Finals... The East is very competitive. More so than people realize. Chicago is poised to cause serious damages to anyone on their path. They will at the very least tire a good team enough for their latter competitors to have an easier way.. It comes to them (Bulls), the Celtics and yes, The Magics.. This will be a bloody... Whomever comes out (and I don't think it will be the Heat with that paper-thin bench) will be scarred and have to face a much improved Lakers with a likely healthier Bryant

Steve Williams

I agree completely about the lack of depth on the Heat bench. Nothing more than a bunch of journeymen rounding out the other 9 players. I would be surprised to see the Heat win the East let alone the NBA Finals

Steve Williams

I can more easily tell you who it won't be....our hapless Pacers :mad:

If that unfortunate fight had never occurred with Artest and the fans, he would never have been suspended for a year and traded thereafter and would never have become a Laker without whom the Lakers lose to Celtics in game 7

Strange isn't it how fate deals some cards. Who will never forget Ron Artest interviewed at the end of the series gives thanks to his psychiatrist..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who do you guys think'll give LA the hardest time in the West now that Phoenix and San Antonio look like they've gone into rebuilding mode? Could it be young Oklahoma or Portland?

I'm guessing Orlando in the East. Celts for all their heart look battered. Heat for all the flash, no second team to keep their big three durable.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Durant leading Team USA to victory in the FIBA World Championships has no doubt added even more bounce to his step. This should be a good year for the NBA.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I started this thread not with the purpose of asking people who they thought would make it out of the east - people have answered that question and gave good answers - but instead who they think the league, tv networks and advertisers would want to have come out of the east.

The Heat are, of course, grabbing almost all of the headlines at this time, and I think a strong conspiracy theory argument could be made that the league, tv networks and advertisers would prefer it to be the Heat. We'd be bombarded with Kobe v. LBJ and stories of the Olympics.

And an equally, if not more compelling, conspiracy theory argument could be made that the league, tv networks and advertisers would prefer it to be the Celtics. We'd be bombarded with Kobe v. Shaq and the fact that it would be a rematch to decide which team truly is the best, since each team beat the other once, and of course the Celts would argue they would have won game 7 with a health Perkins.

Finally, no way would any conspiracy theorist argue the Magic or Bulls come out of the east.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the ad dollars then? Going by endorsement dollars alone.....

L.A. vs Miami

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
And an equally, if not more compelling, conspiracy theory argument could be made that the league, tv networks and advertisers would prefer it to be the Celtics. We'd be bombarded with Kobe v. Shaq

I think Kobe vs. Shaq is done as an issue for most fans. LA vs. Miami would be the sexiest from a promo POV -- the stars collide.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From the Merchandising perspective as well, great point. Yeah I think Kobe vs. Shaq is done. They even get along now I've read.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Steve Williams

Gavin

I have followed the NBA since the 60s. I remember when Phil Jackson, Don Nelson, Bob Cousy etc were playing in their prime. I watched Wilts 100 point game and can say therefore that I have followed it for 5 decades. I love the game and the abilities of these athletes. Absolutely right about the tattoos etc but heck this is the 21st century and it is more than a sport. It is entertainment. Take it for what it is but to see the game played at it's best, my vote goes to the NBA.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I can proudly say that I didn't watch one game last season. The NBA doesn't do it for me any more. I was a big fan in the 80s when Larry and Magic were going at it but alas, their retirements ended it for me. Too many tattoos and earrings for me I guess. College ball is where it's at these days!

Bad Hoosier! How could you have abandoned Miller, Jackson, the Davies' and company! Larry even coached! For shame! :)

Well not to keen on the tats and piercings either but I wasn't too keen on the short shorts, knee high socks and Chuck Taylor shoes of yore either. Ben Wallace's home game do however I totally dug!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Like this?

Or maybe this?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah! Who'd wanna drive into the lane when the Center could block your shot with his head!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Was just teasing :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing