Ex Machina

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just saw this flick and I must tell you this is a huge thumb's up. In summary the film is about......

A young programmer is selected to participate in a breakthrough experiment in artificial intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breathtaking female A.I.

Written and directed by Alex Garland and starring Alicia Vikander (who IMO is worth the price of admission just to see her), Domhnall Gleeson (Unbroken), Oscar Isaac (from Inside Llewyn Davis -which I hated)

The film is definitely worth seeing IMO even though you might leave the theater asking yourself "what the heck did I just see?". Nonetheless there have been many films made about AI but this one to date captures it all. (the movie HER last year was for me its predecessor).

I don't want to give away anything in the movie but to say put your seat belt on cuz you're in for a bit of a ride with this film

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I agree with Steve. I have mixed feelings about it. It is beautifully shot and acted, but there is certainly something unsettling about it as well. It grabs you pretty much out of the gate, but about 2/3rds of the way through you start to wonder how in the world this weird ride will be resolved within the time frame left. It resolves, all right, but as Steve said, put on your seat belt. I'd be surprised if this does well in the box office, but for all I know, it could end up being a cult-classic.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks. This is the type of movie I like, and buy. Looking forward to the Blue Ray.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I normally do not go to see movies in this genre but it seems Steve and I often enjoy the same movies. Heading out this morning to take it in.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I enjoyed how the movie developed but the ending was a bit predictable. I walked out wondering who was good and who was bad in the end. After the first five minutes you have a film where only three characters must carry all the dialog. They all handled their roles very nicely.

I couldn't shake the thought that Domhnall Gleeson looked like a young Bill Gates. Ava always kept your attention and she sure looked good in the final scenes.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw Ex Machina over the weekend and I really enjoyed the movie. Looks like Alicia Vikander is a budding star - scheduled to do 6 more movies in the near future. I thought she was excellent as Ava in this film.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Steve,
have you seen Her?
It is also one of those films that will split people and there are quite a lot of subtle nuances throughout the film, such as what accidentally in the real world has a causal effect on the AI/AIs that the programmers did not even consider (it does not affect the plot so will mention, IMO it is when Joaquin Phoenix and the Operating System decide "she" should have a name - this seems to have been reinforced that later we find another AI behaving similar that also was given a name - also subtly done).

Anyway another enjoyable movie that delves into human and AI interaction and relationships, and probably captures part of the trend on where society is heading.
Cheers
Orb

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thought it was really well done and interesting in how it shifted sympathies among the characters as it progressed.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
agree with most of the above- great movie. didn't realize going in that it was only 3 characters and shot in a house, but really liked the direction he took with it. perhaps a tad predictable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Ex_Machina' will be the first ever Blu-ray released with a DTS:X audio soundtrack (3D "elevated" surround sound).
...On July 14th, 2015. ...First day purchase for me. ...But only in 2D, not 3D...unfortunately.

? www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16835

_____

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing