PLAY a CD and in the same time Rip it on HD

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Is there a music server/CD Player which can PLAY a CD and in the same time Rip it on it's HD ?

This will be a great time saving : everytime I play a CD, it is also saved as a HighRes music file ! ! :D

It may be tricky, but.... may be a Music server with a built-in CD-Player that read ahead of playing like the PS-AUDIO PerfectWave Memory Player or the The Memory player can do this ?

thanks

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
I use a computer CAPS server and rip with either dbpoweramp or jriver which can do what you want. However, when I rip I will suspend all other activities on that machine just to ensure that my rip is pristine regardless of what logic might otherwise suggest. What you propose seems like a time efficient approach but I am willing to bet that either the quality of the playback or the rip or both will be adversely affected. Regardless, If you do find unit that can do what you want I'd be interested to learn about your findings.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Windows Media Player does that and I use it that way all the time.

Wonder how this is implemented.
Secure ripping is in general a matter of re-reading sectors.
This is not compatible with reading a CD at a constant speed and send the data to the DAC.
Might it be WMP starts ripping and once a sufficient amount of data has been captured, playback starts under the assumption it will never outpace the ripping process?
Is this compatible with secure ripping?

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks bruce for pointing to the NAIM, but... where did you read that the NAIM can Play a CD and at the same time rip it on the HD ?

I have a frend that lives out of state from me with the Naim-- he says he plays CD --it rips to the HD and stores it

He then plays the CD and switched between the two on playback

The impression noticed is slightly cleaner voices and highs with the Ripped version

I have not experienced this myself in person --only what we have Skyped in chat.

Sorry I cannot confirm --maybe another HDX owner here will elaborate fully?

Good Luck

BruceD

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Even humble iTunes will do this...sort of. But the first track rips in silence, then it begins playback while the subsequent tracks are ripping. I assume this is to create the time required for error correction.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing