Great little hub to put in front of a USB dac

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I installed one of these yesterday, and it made a pretty marked improvement for not very much money. It's basically an audiophile quality hub built around a great clock and power supply. It's purpose in life is to improve the quality of what your USB input is seeing.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...tone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/

I was using a high quality purpose built server, with a tricked out USB output board, feeding a high quality asynch USB to Spdif (actually, USB to Tascam) converter, so I was surprised by the magnitude of the gain. I noticed markedly better imaging, with a bigger soundstage, more "air" and more three dimensional imaging. I also noticed improved clarity and bite on pianos (better "clang") and stringed instruments (akin to more rosin on the bows). All in a lot for under $200 with shipping.

I haven't gotten my MSB Signature V quad rate i2s unit back yet (it's in for the IV to V upgrade), so it'll be interesting to see if I get the same magnitude of improvement.

I have no financial interest, etc. in the vendors and no prior history with them.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think the Schiit Wyrd is the same idea. They both use inexpensive SMPS. For only 5v vbus power, it seems like a low noise linear PSU is easily done.

I totally respect your impressions. However, I'm not sure the benefit of this device has anything to do with it's supposed low phase oscillator since the MSB's clock will control the data flow anyway. Maybe the TASCAM is different. Maybe this could benefit those wanting to extend a USB cable beyond 15 feet.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
It was a Tascam pinout/format feeding a Trinnov.

Given that the Regen unit was directly feeding an asynch USB device with an ultra high quality power supply and Hynes USB 5v regulator, I was surprised it made any difference. It should not have made much of a difference, but it did. (I also have a Schiit, and it didn't make any difference in that same signal chain.)

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Swenson has lots of logical explanations. But I've never seen him offer any measurements to back any of it up using a decent DAC with proper USB interface.

zerung

Nov 20, 2011
Swenson has lots of logical explanations. But I've never seen him offer any measurements to back any of it up using a decent DAC with proper USB interface.

The measurement is 99.99 endorsement from people who have paid for this and use the same.
At the same time, it seems that some one has actually bought him a scope. That he is going to prove his case.
Which is a tad disappointing, I prefer the poetic and artistic resolution of his theory and the resultant fruit, than the lab's endorsements that is to follow.
In this case the truth will not set us free!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing