Lessloss firewall

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..bumping this post...Bueller?...Bueller? Anybody familiar with these bad boys?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Have you actually tried one?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Has anyone experimented with the Lessloss Firewall module current conditioning unit?

http://www.lessloss.com/firewall-module-p-216.html

This looks like a potentially cost effective tweak.

What say you all?
I purchased one a month ago, with Oyaide connector.
I have put it between Acrolink Mexcel 7300 PC and Lampizator Dac.
After two weeks or so it started to show the potential. The sound became even more natural , with darker background and very low noise floor .
A friend of mine recommended it and I think it worth every cent , this is not a small improvement.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm at a loss to say anything good about it other than the wood is nice. But a power line filter, it's not.

That might be true. Honestly it's hard to tell what's going on. Magic isn't a great selling point for those that understand how power works...

Nor is advertising stupid **** like "no capcaitors or coils".... You know, the things your amplifiers, DAC's, CD players, and preamps are filled to the brim with.... Sure, so bad. Throw away all your gear because it has capacitors and coils in it, inferior; go buy a brass Trumpet.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That might be true. Honestly it's hard to tell what's going on. Magic isn't a great selling point for those that understand how power works...

Nor is advertising stupid **** like "no capcaitors or coils".... You know, the things your amplifiers, DAC's, CD players, and preamps are filled to the brim with.... Sure, so bad. Throw away all your gear because it has capacitors and coils in it, inferior; go buy a brass Trumpet.

..so apparently marslo doesn't know what he's talking about? Hello parade...here's some rain..

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
..so apparently marslo doesn't know what he's talking about? Hello parade...here's some rain..

Sorry , I am not technician and my knowlegde of phisics is limited to high school level finished in 1978, but with math/phisics profile.
My experience with audio gear is deeper and I believe the science today has very limited aparatus to explain the complexity of audio reception by the human ear/brain combo.
I would not strive to explain why Lessloss firewall works, I can only say that I am really grateful to my friend for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Bad phrasing.

Maybe they really do do something, I'm not going to tell Marslo they don't. But as Speedskater says it wouldn't appear any power conditioning is going on were we to take the information given. And I stand by my statement about the ludicrous notion of capacitors and "coils" being inherently bad.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Look, who knows how these things work, but if you are prepared to put physics aside because it sounds good, why not also put it aside when you think about safety.

Those guys on audio science review are just trying to spoil it for the rest of us

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Look, who knows how these things work, but if you are prepared to put physics aside because it sounds good, why not also put it aside when you think about safety.

Those guys on audio science review are just trying to spoil it for the rest of us

:D

"Burning down the house

My house's out of the ordinary
That's right
Don't want to hurt nobody
Some things sure can sweep me off my feet
Burning down the house

No visible means of support
And you have not seen nothin' yet
Everything's stuck together
And I don't know what you expect
Staring into the TV set
Fighting fire with fire"

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Selling "skin effect" for HF noise reduction seems like a new approach. I've used mu metal tape and strips of ferromagnetic material to do the same thing and it does work. You can buy sheets of the stuff from various electronics suppliers (Google lists tons, starting with www.Mu-Metal.com). I don't see any practical difference than looping the power lines through ferrite cores, however. And power supplies usually do a good job of rejecting noise all on their own.

They should include strain relief on the safety ground, do a decent soldering job, and add a clamp on the incoming wire to keep it from stressing the connections to the (mu metal?) plates.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing