Verdier Platine

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
View attachment 19961 This certainly a long shot.. I know a number of Verdier owners have modified their decks in one weay or anther; power supply, motor, belts etc. I have a Verdier heritage/granito and am looking to add tonearm pod and here is a picture of someone who has done it a bit differently. does anyone recognise this and have any ideas who might have done it?

Peter

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, this looks like it belongs to a guy over on Audiogon named Syntax (Thomas), or one of his German friends. That preamp or phono amp is called the Omni Gon. It is a very custom/special design from his friend, Dertonarm, who designs the Axiom tonearm and UniPro protractor and headshells. He also has a new cartridge design. His company is called Acoustical Systems. Syntax is also a big advocate of Vibraplanes isolation platforms and the Sutherland Timeline strobe for checking turntable speed. Other clues are the thread drive and the two Fidelity Research FR 64 tonearms on the table. You can do a search on Audiogon for his system. It is called "Voice of Living Presence". I'm sure you can look him up on Audiogon and send him a PM.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
View attachment 19961 This certainly a long shot.. I know a number of Verdier owners have modified their decks in one weay or anther; power supply, motor, belts etc. I have a Verdier heritage/granito and am looking to add tonearm pod and here is a picture of someone who has done it a bit differently. does anyone recognise this and have any ideas who might have done it?

Peter
I agree, looks like Syntax's system. I don't think he has Verdier at this time, but he is of a high opinion of it.
I have Verdier Granito as well, and went with copper armpod and gabon Ebony armboard. Also converted to battery power. Upgraded springs in the suspension and hardware for the armpod.
It's interesting that he has it on Vibraplane- I'm wondering how that works, since Verdier has it's own spring-loaded suspension.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree, looks like Syntax's system.
It's interesting that he has it on Vibraplane- I'm wondering how that works, since Verdier has it's own spring-loaded suspension.

Syntax also had his suspended Basis turntable on a Vibraplane, and I have my suspended SME 30/12 on a Vibraplane. It's surprising how much adding a serious isolation platform to an already suspended turntable can improve the sound. Rockitman has his TechDas on an active isolation platform from Herzan and reports excellent results even though the TechDas already has air isolation and also sits on a custom HRS passive shelf.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Syntax also had his suspended Basis turntable on a Vibraplane, and I have my suspended SME 30/12 on a Vibraplane. It's surprising how much adding a serious isolation platform to an already suspended turntable can improve the sound. Rockitman has his TechDas on an active isolation platform from Herzan and reports excellent results even though the TechDas already has air isolation and also sits on a custom HRS passive shelf.
I agree it can produce some good results, I just have been hesitant to try two different suspension systems together.
I tried Stillpoints Ultra SS on SRA platform, and liked it less, than SRA alone. I'm sure different combinations could be complimentary. Never know until you try.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Arm Pods

Thanks Peter

Yes I did PM Syntax via this forum after seeing the Verdier on a 'gon thread and he confirmed that he had taken a pic of the deck when he heard the system originally. I may try a post on the 'gon and see what happens

Peter

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Interesting….My Verdier has the GT audio (in the UK) mods with the battery power supply, ebony arm board and new motor as well as a couple of cosmetic additions of arm board bolts and alluminium sleeves for the magnets. I put mine on a symposium ultra platform. I was intrigued by your comment on changing the springs in the suspension

Peter

I agree, looks like Syntax's system. I don't think he has Verdier at this time, but he is of a high opinion of it.
I have Verdier Granito as well, and went with copper armpod and gabon Ebony armboard. Also converted to battery power. Upgraded springs in the suspension and hardware for the armpod.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
I have now been able to get in touch with Syntax via the 'gon and discovered that the owner of the system in the pic is Heradot. And via the 'gon have been in conversation with him (he lives in Germany). The company who produced the pods is Acoustical Systems (German) and they did them as a one off. They also produce an arm and a turntable mod called the SDP.

Fortunately they still have all the drawings and the specs and are happy to make another pair for my Verdier. I will probably go ahead and combine it with their SDP mod and make sure that I have a number of spare arm boards to fit the pods. So many thanks you guys for the initial information. Once it is all completed I will let yo know if it was all worth it!

Regards Peter

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have now been able to get in touch with Syntax via the 'gon and discovered that the owner of the system in the pic is Heradot. And via the 'gon have been in conversation with him (he lives in Germany). The company who produced the pods is Acoustical Systems (German) and they did them as a one off. They also produce an arm and a turntable mod called the SDP.

Fortunately they still have all the drawings and the specs and are happy to make another pair for my Verdier. I will probably go ahead and combine it with their SDP mod and make sure that I have a number of spare arm boards to fit the pods. So many thanks you guys for the initial information. Once it is all completed I will let yo know if it was all worth it!
Regards Peter

Thank you Peter,
Could you explain what the SDP mod consists of? and what is the cost of it and the arm pods?

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
You can access Acoustical Systems web site on www.acoustical-systems.com where it will explain the SDP modification for turntables. There is a picture of their mod on a Verdier. The cost is 1,600EU not including shipping.

The cost of the two arm pods is 1,900Eu with additional blank arm inserts 180Eu. This does not include shipping

Regards Peter

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
And I believe, the owner of the company is Dertonarm, a friend of Syntax?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
And I believe, the owner of the company is Dertonarm, a friend of Syntax?

Yes. I think he designed the pre amp in the photo and I read that Dertonarm also designed a massive ultra limited turntable for six of his friends but it will not be marketed to the general public. From what I recall, it has a massive 200 lbs platter, idler wheel to quickly get it to speed and then a thin thread drive with controlled slippage to maintain a constant correct speed. The bearing was also very unique. I've not heard anything about it in a few years, so I don't know if it was ever built.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
It'll be educational to check WTB under the search "Dertonarm", puts a different light on the man.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Good gracious!!!!!! It does not fill one with confidence. I had been made aware of some possible 'issues' but having spoken with a couple of people who had first hand dealings without any problems, I was prepared to take, what i considered a minimal risk. However the risk/reward equation is really going the wrong way for me now so many thanks for your timely contribution.

peter

It'll be educational to check WTB under the search "Dertonarm", puts a different light on the man.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I've never had any dealings with the company and the person, so I'm not in a position to pass judgements.
But simply reading numerous report of what seems like an outright scam would make me pretty nervous.
I did however had very negative experience with Art Audio USA, more precisely Joe Fratus, who was a USA distributor for them at the time- he took my $6,000 for a power amp, that he had never delivered. Very similar MO, and he had many positive feedbacks, as well.
Good gracious!!!!!! It does not fill one with confidence. I had been made aware of some possible 'issues' but having spoken with a couple of people who had first hand dealings without any problems, I was prepared to take, what i considered a minimal risk. However the risk/reward equation is really going the wrong way for me now so many thanks for your timely contribution.

peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing