So.. You Come Home And Your Dog Is On The Roof...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My wife and I returned home from dinner out on Saturday and we entered house
expecting our dog, who we rescued in January (Sandy, 55 Lbs Aussie Cattle Dog/Boxer Mix)
to greet us at the garage door as usual. No Sandy. I go upstairs thinking she was deep in a nap,
and she is no where to be found.

Turn the lights on the living room (we live in a two story condo)
and I see a GAPING hole in the window scree. We always leave windows open for fresh air.

I FREAKED, because when I looked out the window I saw paw and scratch marks on the roof.

I SCREAMED to my wife who was still downstairs to go look outside. I swear to god I though we
were going find her on the pavement below in a sorry state. My heart was pounding like a jack hammer.

No dog outside!!!! I ran out, thinking she somehow survived the fall and was on the run.

Our neighbors heard my screaming her name and yelled to me..

"Your dog is on the roof!":eek:

I thought to my self..did they just say, "my dog is on the roof"?

I look up and my dog is staring down at me with a look on her face that said

"Uh, I'm in a bit of spot".

I yelled to my wife to call 911 hoping the fire dept could bring a ladder and I stood below hoping to catch her if she fell...

Sandy heard my wife and went close enough to her that my wife was able to grab her collar..

I RACED upstairs, I mean I was Usain Bolt, took the collar from wife and grabbed the hind quarters
and lifted her into the window, all 55 LBs.

My wife started began crying, because we both love this dog very much, and it could have ended very badly.

Our dear neighbors stood below with a blanket when they saw me race up to bring the dog in...

All's well that ends well..but boy did the adrenaline pump...:eek:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow. What a story. One of our dogs has run away twice to the point there I thought I would never find him, only by chance doing so. The thoughts that go into your mind when you wonder where they are....

But the roof... that certainly trumps my stories :).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Wow. What a story. One of our dogs has run away twice to the point there I thought I would never find him, only by chance doing so. The thoughts that go into your mind when you wonder where they are....

But the roof... that certainly trumps my stories :).

It took a day or two for my blood pressure to come back down!

Here is the bozo her self...

IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1208.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, glad to hear all's well that ends well. That story is pretty funny, BUT not so much when you are living it.
Kind of reminds me of the time when I returned home a few months ago and I hear this strange noise coming from a neighbors roof. It was dusk, so I couldn't immediately see what was on his roof. Upon further inspection, I see a Peacock!!
Yes, a large white Peacock is walking atop the ridgeline of the roof and screaming away!! Now, as you know, a Peacock is a little unusual in my neighborhood ( plenty of other strange sights, BUT not that). After about ten minutes, my neighbor across the street returns home and sees the Peacock....wherein he tells me that it actually is a pet of the house next door! Apparently, the dear bird has escaped and decided to do a little exploring. So, after about an hour, the Peacock decides to come down and go home....with a LOT of coaxing from his now returned owner...:cool:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, glad to hear all's well that ends well. This story is pretty funny, BUT not so much when you are living it.
Kind of reminds me of the time when I returned home a few months ago and I hear this strange noise coming from a neighbors roof. It was dusk, so I couldn't immediately see what was on his roof. Upon further inspection, I see a Peacock!!
Yes, a large white Peacock is walking atop the ridgeline of the roof and screaming away!! Now, as you know, a Peacock is a little unusual in my neighborhood ( plenty of other strange sights, BUT not that). After about ten minutes, my neighbor across the street returns home and sees the Peacock....wherein he tells me that it actually is a pet of the house next door! Apparently, the dear bird has escaped and decided to do a little exploring. So, after about an hour, the Peacock decides to come down and go home....with a LOT of coaxing from his now returned owner...:cool:

My story was certainly not funny at the time..but it when I think about it now it is kind of...lol..I guess that is because no one was hurt..

I have to say, your story is even STRANGER!!!

A pet peacock! I've seen them in person many times and they are amazing animals..but hardly pet material.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Agreed, a pet Peacock isn't something that most people would consider....BUT then you don't know my neighbor, LOL:eek:.
He owned a Aussie Ridgeback (large dog) as well....apparently the two ( Peacock and Dog) got along well. Nonetheless, the neighbor's were NOT too pleased about the Peacock in the area and were fairly happy when the dear neighbor decided to give it back to wherever he got it from.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Agreed, a pet Peacock isn't something that most people would consider....BUT then you don't know my neighbor, LOL:eek:.
He owned a Aussie Ridgeback (large dog) as well....apparently the two ( Peacock and Dog) got along well. Nonetheless, the neighbor's were NOT too pleased about the Peacock in the area and were fairly happy when the dear neighbor decided to give it back to wherever he got it from.

Strange neighbors and strange pets! Sounds interesting!

Ridgeback's are fantastic dogs..my neighbor has one as well. Need lots of exercise or watch out.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
"Your dog is on the roof!":eek:

I look up and my dog is staring down at me with a look on her face that said

"Uh, I'm in a bit of spot".

All's well that ends well..but boy did the adrenaline pump...:eek:

Eek! Dufus dog! I'm glad it all ended well.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I thought your dog had passed. I was taught that "Your dog/mother/granny/?? is on the roof" was a metaphor for them passing!

Glad you both are somewhat back to "normal".

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I thought your dog had passed. I was taught that "Your dog/mother/granny/?? is on the roof" was a metaphor for them passing!

Glad you both are somewhat back to "normal".
Thanks Bruce!

I am not familiar with that use of the expression but I will have to remember it!

zog

Oct 8, 2013
My story was certainly not funny at the time..but it when I think about it now it is kind of...lol..I guess that is because no one was hurt..
Of course it is funny from the beginning (or first post) ... we ALL understand poetic licence.

After the interrogation: what was the pooch's explanation?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Our neighbors in KY had a bunch of peacocks and during mating time it sounds like a bag full of cats.
They used to roam free, one even came into my theater. When the owner was told that we had the right to eliminate them a coop went up right quick.
They were damaging paint on cars in the neighborhood and they do tremendous roof damage on the ridges after time. Their talons are vicious.
Corner one and find out. The also vibrate their feathers and it sounds alot like a rattlesnake.
They used to roost right outside our bedroom window at night and talk to each other.
Since I could not bring myself to hurt them I would get underneath them with a full auto airsoft and let loose, that at least got them off the property.
And they fly really well when a dog is after them.
Also watched one take on a deer, took him a bit but he finally got smart and booked it.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
OMG
Reminds me of a highend classic car show that was held at large stately home with extensive grounds here in England not long ago and which also had a flock of peacocks,
They wreaked havoc on a lot of the cars, particularly the lightweight aluminium bodied ones. Saw their reflections in the paintwork and attacked what they thought was another bird.
I can't remember the precise figure for restoring all the cars but as I recall it was well over £500,000,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing