I'm not a completist, but......

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
there are a few artists I really like and am only missing one or two (official, not bootleg) releases from, and I think it would be nice to own them all. Several that come to mind are America, Linda Ronstadt, Steve Winwood, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Sade and Sarah McLachlan. I think I'm going to focus on acquiring those missing pieces this year.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
there are a few artists I really like and am only missing one or two (official, not bootleg) releases from, and I think it would be nice to own them all. Several that come to mind are America, Linda Ronstadt, Steve Winwood, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Sade and Sarah McLachlan. I think I'm going to focus on acquiring those missing pieces this year.

Johnny, I am a neurotic completist. I swear sometimes I stay up at night if there is one album missing in my library of any artists I am particularly obsessed with.

Just recently, I just filled in all the missing links in my Robin Trower discography.

The only things I tend to pass on are lame live albums and GH packages.

As far as America, if you have high resolution digital capability, I can't recommend the America complete album package in 24/192 form HDT and others.

The SRV SACDs are great too. Steve Winwood is well served by classic Mobile Fidelity versions...but some of them will certainly be tough to find.

Lastly, the the complete Linda Ronstadt discography has just been released in 24/192 as well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For my musical tastes it is impossible to be a completist, so I gave it up long ago. Despite that, the size of my music library is humongous, and for some artists it's in the hundreds if not thousands of hours (Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident, Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, etc)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

My Library of music size is not humongous by WBF standard but still sizable . Over 3000 CD and 3000 LPs . If a person has any completist tendency it would be good to consider streaming services. Tidal (CD quality) has a sizable library and Spotify (320 mp3 is the best they do so far) and I am only naming those few. I am at a point where I am seriously considering scaling back my music purchase because there is so much available for streaming... With streaming no need to be a complletis they likely have the complete discography of your favorites artists... This way you don't end up with album you will never listen to more than once.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi-res downloads and streaming are great options, but that's not where I'm at. I'm also only interested in a few artists and would prefer to try and obtain the physical vinyl copies. I can see myself possibly getting into some hi-res, but I still think the price is too steep for now.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi-res downloads and streaming are great options, but that's not where I'm at. I'm also only interested in a few artists and would prefer to try and obtain the physical vinyl copies. I can see myself possibly getting into some hi-res, but I still think the price is too steep for now.

Can't blame you on wanting physical copies.

But on the other hand, if you want the very best archival quality of the recording, the 24 bit remasters are often the way to go..

Some examples are the Grateful Dead, Neil Young,Eagles, Doors, and Springsteen, and Simon & Garfunkel releases..where the real deal master tapes
were used, and in the case of the Dead and Springsteen, the Plangent Process was used which dramatically improves wow and flutter.

And price..well that is a tough argument when I look at the price of reissue vinyl, no? But I get the fact for the same money you
have something you can hold in your hand, as opposed to "files".

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can't blame you on wanting physical copies.

But on the other hand, if you want the very best archival quality of the recording, the 24 bit remasters are often the way to go..

Some examples are the Grateful Dead, Neil Young,Eagles, Doors, and Springsteen, and Simon & Garfunkel releases..where the real deal master tapes
were used, and in the case of the Dead and Springsteen, the Plangent Process was used which dramatically improves wow and flutter.

And price..well that is a tough argument when I look at the price of reissue vinyl, no? But I get the fact for the same money you
have something you can hold in your hand, as opposed to "files"

That's the part I have to get my head around. So far no luck. I know I'll get there though.....(in time).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's the part I have to get my head around. So far no luck. I know I'll get there though.....(in time).

Haha, no rush. I am utterly format neutral. I just want the best possible version most faithful to the master tape.

I just go the Elvis Presley 24/96 download of Golden Records Volume 3, and I have the 7.5 ips tape. Both sound great, but the
digital is definitely more accurate, but the tape is oh so human sounding. So it is a matter of what mood I am in. Ironically, the tape
coast me double what the download did.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are many many artists whose streaming catalogs are quite incomplete, to say nothing of the largely inferior sound quality. In addition, it appears that at least some of the material on the streaming services is "time limited" in availability. I also think if you like an artist enough to think about trying to be a completist there won't be much you will only want to hear once or twice.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
John- let me offer a contrary view- collecting for its own sake is fine, but if it is the music you are after, not everything, by every artist, is worth the trouble. And, to the extent you are tracking down older stuff on vinyl, it can get expensive in some instances; money often better spent on the more musically worthwhile. At one point, i had ambitions of owning all the original Vertigo Swirls; frankly, though the 'concept' (like a complete set of Hummels or Beanie Babies) may have some intrinsic value for its own sake, I decided to be somewhat selective, though I own upwards of 44 of the original UKs and another dozen of the 'off-prints' (whether non-UK contemporaneous, or odd-ball reissues from South Korea or Japan).
If you really like all the music in a particular artists' catalog, that's one thing- but, except for those artists who recorded a few records and left the mortal coil early, some stuff isn't on par with their best. Perhaps that's a subjective judgement, but you get what I mean. (No diss w/respect to the artists you named- Winwood is someone I've followed for a long, long time; btw, you are aware that his brother is a long time producer of some amazing records too?).
best,
bill hart

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I completely understand and agree with the points you guys have made, but with the exception of Linda Ronstadt and SRV I am only missing one album on vinyl of the others, and they should be easily found at a realistic price. The outlay therefore is minimal, but I get the satisfaction of knowing that I have all of the releases of some favourite artists. I kinda like that!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I completely understand and agree with the points you guys have made, but with the exception of Linda Ronstadt and SRV I am only missing one album on vinyl of the others, and they should be easily found at a realistic price. The outlay therefore is minimal, but I get the satisfaction of knowing that I have all of the releases of some favourite artists. I kinda like that!

You mean all the releases available on vinyl, I assume, because both of these artists have a lot of albums only available in a digital format.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You mean all the releases available on vinyl, I assume, because both of these artists have a lot of albums only available in a digital format.

Yes. Only vinyl and only official studio recordings...no compilations, no live recordings (although I do have some of those as well).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

if you are considering any of the Sarah McLachlan 45rpm reissues I have one word of advice; don't.

the CD's are close enough to 'as good' to make me wish I had passed on the three 45's I've purchased. i'm not surprised as they are likely all PCM mastered to begin with; although it does not always work that way. and i'm as 45rpm committed as anyone. I have almost every 45 reissue ever pressed.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
if you are considering any of the Sarah McLachlan 45rpm reissues I have one word of advice; don't.

the CD's are close enough to 'as good' to make me wish I had passed on the three 45's I've purchased. i'm not surprised as they are likely all PCM mastered to begin with; although it does not always work that way. and i'm as 45rpm committed as anyone. I have almost every 45 reissue ever pressed.

Afterglow is the only vinyl I'm missing. Thanks for the warning on the 45RPM.....I'll search for another copy.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes. Only vinyl and only official studio recordings...no compilations, no live recordings (although I do have some of those as well).

Interesting, because for most of the artists I like a lot, the studio recordings are almost superfluous and are far outnumbered by live recordings (as well as that being where the real music is...). Some, like Keith Jarrett and The Grateful Dead, have released relatively few studio recordings. I don't think there are any studio recordings by Sergiu Celibidache!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Interesting, because for most of the artists I like a lot, the studio recordings are almost superfluous and are far outnumbered by live recordings (as well as that being where the real music is...). Some, like Keith Jarrett and The Grateful Dead, have released relatively few studio recordings. I don't think there are any studio recordings by Sergiu Celibidache!

I've got 6 TB of carefully curated live, non commercially released music, and 8 TB of CD rips, downloads, and hi rez downloads.

My live collection is my pride and joy.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've got 6 TB of carefully curated live, non commercially released music, and 8 TB of CD rips, downloads, and hi rez downloads.

My live collection is my pride and joy.

A perfect example for how being a completist (except in a very limited sense) isn't really possible...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was a completest in the 80's. That's a looong time ago and I did end up with a loooong list of duds. Eventually, space constraints forced me to be more selective and more practical.

There are 2 ways of looking at collections. When I asked the Dad of my good buddies why he has such a huge collection (~45,000 CDs NO TYPO), he said "Hijo, what's the use of having a library if you've read all the books?". That's way number one and what a way! Well the other one is what 99.99999999999 of the world's population does. We go with what we like.

The biggest benefit for me is that even at my most beat, I know I can reach for a CD or an LP and enjoy as every album has been vetted/curated. It's so much easier to sample tracks these days. Just click a button. What a far cry from rummaging through LP bins of sealed records going only by what you remember from the radio, or later on going to a CD store and having only 6 albums per rack available for auditioning on those Nakamichi changers and fearing catching something from the headphones. LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing