Transparent Opus Gen 5 vs Transparent Opus MM2 mini review

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A couple of points :

1- MC cartridges are differential devices - this simply means that both +/- are floating (not tied to ground) and that they have signal present in equal magnitude and opposite phase.
2- A differential amplifier amplifies the signal present on both the positive and negative legs of the cartridge. it is better able to reject common mode noise and since it is not referenced to ground, is relatively immune to ground noise. If I believed SE technology would suffice, I would have used it.
3- The Transparent phono cable that Josh developed uses transparent networks in differential mode thus preserving the transmission of the signal to the Phono input. Feel free to contact Josh at transparent for further information
4- there are no transformers used in the cable on in the input of the Doshi MC stage.
5- there are other manufacturers building balanced MC inputs, for many varied reasons, I believe my phono stage is at least their equal. It certainly has achieved the engineering and subjective criteria I put forth in the design.
6- I did a demonstration at Paragon where the only change was the cable, maybe the folks at the demo can relay what they heard.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm unclear about a couple of points.

1- Is the signal coming out of the tonearm SE or differentially balanced? As far as I know any RCA jack is SE, the signal has to be converted to balanced either by a transformer or electronic circuitry, is there any other way in this scenario?

3- "transparent networks in differential mode"? Is there another way aside from electronic circuitry or transformer to convert the SE signal coming out of the tonearm to a balanced signal?

4- Does this include Tranparent's differential wires we're discussing here? In case of a standard RCA to XLR phono cable basically equates to a SE signal, so what's the point? Just to clarify, your comments were regarding standard phono cables and not what's sitting inside your phono stage, am I correct or did I miss something?

david

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Below:

Thanks for the explanation, I'm unclear about a couple of points.

1- Is the signal coming out of the tonearm SE or differentially balanced? As far as I know any RCA jack is SE, the signal has to be converted to balanced either by a transformer or electronic circuitry, is there any other way in this scenario?

A jack is agnostic to the signal. A RCA jack can carry a differential signal. If the female jack on the equipment side is floating then there is no contact with ground. and every tonearm cable I have ever looked at, is wired with the positive and negative legs of the cartridge output brought to the tip and sleeve of the RCA connector. These cables typically have 2 conductors and a shield. The signal can be ground referenced (negative leg tied to ground) at the phono preamplifier IF the phono preamplifier is a SE design. If it is a differential (or balanced) input, the separate ground wire from the arm provides ground reference.

3- "transparent networks in differential mode"? Is there another way aside from electronic circuitry or transformer to convert the SE signal coming out of the tonearm to a balanced signal?
The signal is not SE

4- Does this include Tranparent's differential wires we're discussing here? In case of a standard RCA to XLR phono cable basically equates to a SE signal, so what's the point? Just to clarify, your comments were regarding standard phono cables and not what's sitting inside your phono stage, am I correct or did I miss something?
Again, you are equating an RCA connector to a SE connection, this may not always be the case. If the cable used is a co-ax, it is unwise to use it in balanced use since the path taken by the two conductors is not the same, if as with most tome arm cables , a twin conductor + shield, it can be used as a balanced connection even with a RCA connector. It is best to use a XLR since the shield can be extended over the mating surfaces providing a continuous shield which is an advantage in heavy RF environments. It is only single ended if the negative leg is tied to ground.
david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Below:
Again, you are equating an RCA connector to a SE connection, this may not always be the case. If the cable used is a co-ax, it is unwise to use it in balanced use since the path taken by the two conductors is not the same, if as with most tome arm cables , a twin conductor + shield, it can be used as a balanced connection even with a RCA connector. It is best to use a XLR since the shield can be extended over the mating surfaces providing a continuous shield which is an advantage in heavy RF environments. It is only single ended if the negative leg is tied to ground.
Sorry to continue Nick I'm trying to figure something out here; RCA connectors are unbalanced regardless if they're used for inputs and outputs. The "ground" connection serves for completing the electrical circuit and way to connect the shield cable to the chassis. Are you saying that its not true and the RCA output jacks from tonearms are all connected as you describe above and that there's no conversion of a SE signal to Balanced is happening inside the Transparent's box?

david

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
There is no conversion happening inside transparent's network box. A simple test with a VOM will confirm the absence of any transformer. RCA chassis mount connectors on the equipment end can be tied to chassis ground or left floating depending on the design of the connector and equipment. Most high end RCA jacks are supplied with chassis isolation washers and can be used for isolated connection. If you have a balanced source and balanced input, you can achieve a balanced connection with a RCA connector. Not ideal but possible. The advantages of having a balanced input for a MC cart certainly outweigh any drawbacks of having to use an RCA for the connection. In Doshi audio gear, we can supply the units with RCA jacks or XLR connectors so as to accommodate the end user's cable.

I believe Myles was attributing the dynamics to the V3 design advances over the 2 series in general not the specific addition of remote control loading and other features. The Doshi V3 Phono stage is offered in 2 specific guises. The first being the Remote controlled version in which we believe the majority of the buying public will be interested. There is a studio version which incorporates metering allowing for L+R / L-R metering for azimuth adjustment as well as selectable eq and roll off to accommodate for older eq curves. This unit is targeted towards a pro/transcription user. They both sound massively good - take your pick :)

Sorry to continue Nick I'm trying to figure something out here; RCA connectors are unbalanced regardless if they're used for inputs and outputs. The "ground" connection serves for completing the electrical circuit and way to connect the shield cable to the chassis. Are you saying that its not true and the RCA output jacks from tonearms are all connected as you describe above and that there's no conversion of a SE signal to Balanced is happening inside the Transparent's box?

david

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nick, are Myles's connections RCA-to-RCA and do i see an extra wire coming out of the Transparent box? It seems to me this 'differential balanced' thing is all about preserving signal independence from chassis ground, and your phono also preserves it, as does the VPI RCA and XLR boxes. As such, all kinds of cables preserve that relationship, and the Transparent would simply run a chassis-ground wire from the phono over the signal wires for shielding (that second wire I think I see coming out of the box, on the bottom of Myles's picture).

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
In run my phono RCA input but flip the input switch to XLR. I get a terrible hum without a ground from phono pre to turntable. Once grounded it is as quiet as the RCA sent to ground by the input switch. One of the quirks of the Ayre phone is that you can float the RCA input to the balanced signal path. Again it must have the additional ground to work.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There is no conversion happening inside transparent's network box. A simple test with a VOM will confirm the absence of any transformer. RCA chassis mount connectors on the equipment end can be tied to chassis ground or left floating depending on the design of the connector and equipment. Most high end RCA jacks are supplied with chassis isolation washers and can be used for isolated connection. If you have a balanced source and balanced input, you can achieve a balanced connection with a RCA connector. Not ideal but possible. The advantages of having a balanced input for a MC cart certainly outweigh any drawbacks of having to use an RCA for the connection. In Doshi audio gear, we can supply the units with RCA jacks or XLR connectors so as to accommodate the end user's cable.

I believe Myles was attributing the dynamics to the V3 design advances over the 2 series in general not the specific addition of remote control loading and other features. The Doshi V3 Phono stage is offered in 2 specific guises. The first being the Remote controlled version in which we believe the majority of the buying public will be interested. There is a studio version which incorporates metering allowing for L+R / L-R metering for azimuth adjustment as well as selectable eq and roll off to accommodate for older eq curves. This unit is targeted towards a pro/transcription user. They both sound massively good - take your pick :)

Thanks Nick, appreciate the clarifications. I didn't know about your v2 to v3 move, it was the way it was phrased that raised an eyebrow. I remember seeing pictures of your pro version here, its DELICIOUS!

My questions don't arise from your phono, "differentially balanced" in electronics is understandable, its association with a cable is where questions arise specially with RCA jacks in the mix. I understand balanced and pseudo balanced cables but differentially balanced without the use of any transformer or circuitry? Calling rigged up RCA jacks "differentially balanced" with a box stuck in middle can lead to other conclusions, you know what I mean :).

Another variable in the "balanced" chain remains with the source and that's the arm's wiring. For example Rega arms which are very popular have the left channel negative signal connected to the ground, that's a SE signal. In this case either the arm needs to be rewired or the signal converted somewhere along its path prior to pre's balanced inputs, so that's not what this Transparent phono cable can address?

david

Last edited:

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
differentially balanced is probably redundant.

If the rega tonearm wire has the left ch negative tied to the arm ground - they are not balanced and there is nothing this cable can do. Although the rega 1000 series has a din connector in the base (AFAIK)

Steve- we used the output of the heads in balanced mode with the RCA to XLR cable. WE also added relay switching to allow for the head wiring to feed the internal electronics which are SE

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Nick, are Myles's connections RCA-to-RCA and do i see an extra wire coming out of the Transparent box? It seems to me this 'differential balanced' thing is all about preserving signal independence from chassis ground, and your phono also preserves it, as does the VPI RCA and XLR boxes. As such, all kinds of cables preserve that relationship, and the Transparent would simply run a chassis-ground wire from the phono over the signal wires for shielding (that second wire I think I see coming out of the box, on the bottom of Myles's picture).

Hi, No ground wire coming out of the network box, just the pic isn't showing something right.

My Opus gen 5 rca phono cables have a totally separate ground wire from the 2 rca cables ...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Installed my 2nd set of Magnum Opus today. This time replacing Opus Gen 5. It's from my tonearm to phono stage. Like a new phono stage...more to come...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Installed my 2nd set of Magnum Opus today. This time replacing Opus Gen 5. It's from my tonearm to phono stage. Like a new phono stage...more to come...

Missing link.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Missing link.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Congrats!...contemplating a possible move to Opus MM2 (2nd hand) speaker cables as many of them are now rolling in...look forward to reading more about your comments on the big Magnus Opus...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats!...contemplating a possible move to Opus MM2 (2nd hand) speaker cables as many of them are now rolling in...look forward to reading more about your comments on the big Magnus Opus...

I still love my Opus MM2 Speaker...to the point I don't want to be without it for 2 weeks or so while gets updated to gen 5...absolutely NOTHING wrong with MM2, in fact, it beats most out there. As far as my new Magnum Opus, put it this way, I thought it made a bigger different than a new phono stage (I tried 2 others more than twice the price of my Nagra)

I know a lot of cable skeptics...but these Opus MM2, Gen 5 and Magnum Opus are component level upgrades...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I know a lot of cable skeptics...but these Opus MM2, Gen 5 and Magnum Opus are component level upgrades...

John, congratulations on the Transparent upgrades. Are you saying that each step, from Opus MM2 to Opus Gen 5 to Magnum Opus, is itself as significant as a component upgrade, or is getting one of these three compared to other cables out there, like a component upgrade? Or a little of both? Having heard the differences between say some of the Pass amps or preamps and noting that some are subtle and others more significant, I know what you mean.

Transparent dealers have told me as much, also. A suite of cables is like a major component. In my system context, just one of the cables you mention is like a component. As one moves up the line, one cable model upgrade can cost as much as a component upgrade, and upgrading an entire suite of cables one or two models up can cost a small fortune. I learned this recently when I simply switched from a Transparent REF XL single ended 1M IC to a balanced version. That upgrade cost the same as my phono stage upgrade. The problem for me was that the new stage sounded better with a balanced connection while the old stage sounded better single ended. So I ended up getting both.

I do think this new Gen 5 is beginning to enable some people to look at the older MM2 Opus line as they are getting traded in. There may be a few relative bargains available.

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I still love my Opus MM2 Speaker...to the point I don't want to be without it for 2 weeks or so while gets updated to gen 5...absolutely NOTHING wrong with MM2, in fact, it beats most out there. As far as my new Magnum Opus, put it this way, I thought it made a bigger different than a new phono stage (I tried 2 others more than twice the price of my Nagra)

you're adding fuel to a fire that is already alight! Look forward to finding out more... ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing