Transparent Opus Gen 5 vs Transparent Opus MM2 mini review

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey JFrech,

Did you go full Magnum Opus? I have nearly finished the migration from Opus MM2 to Opus Gen 5 (also made a move in one place from SE to Balanced). Wow it IS a lot quieter (I think that is the nature of balanced...not the Opus Gen 5)...but I still do think there is something about detail, ability to dig into bass and hold the detail and resolve...which is very special.

I did a few months back. Really impressed with the results. On par with like a speaker upgrade (and ugh costs about the same). It was just just one of those things that completes a system. Skytop's assessment on his upgrade is totally consistent with what I hear.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did a few months back. Really impressed with the results. On par with like a speaker upgrade (and ugh costs about the same). It was just just one of those things that completes a system. Skytop's assessment on his upgrade is totally consistent with what I hear.
Thanks and congrats! That is pretty huge...the final frontier! We have one Opus MM2...the rest is Opus 5 all the way to the speaker. Thinking about it...;)

Reactions: jfrech

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Transparent Audio Generation 5 series being updated? It looks like it is due, based on their previous refresh cycles (dates sources from the TA Website)

G1 - 1993-1997. 4 years.
XL - 1997-2001. 4 years.
MM - 2002-2008. 6 years.
MM2 - 2009-2014. 5 years.
G5 - 2015-Present. Almost 6 years now...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Transparent Audio Generation 5 series being updated? It looks like it is due, based on their previous refresh cycles (dates sources from the TA Website)

G1 - 1993-1997. 4 years.
XL - 1997-2001. 4 years.
MM - 2002-2008. 6 years.
MM2 - 2009-2014. 5 years.
G5 - 2015-Present. Almost 6 years now...
I asked my dealer, he says the timing data is just more a coincidence than a "release" schedule and that nothing is announced ... Transparent always has a great upgrade program, I am sure they'd take care of you if you bought something now and something else came around the corner soon...

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
I though I would add to the link regarding Transparent cables. I will qualify myself as a believer in cables and the overall sonic palette. In the 80's I had big ARC mono blocks and bi wired MIT shotgun to a Vandersteen 2c - crazy, but the sonics were spectacular. I transitioned with equipment to Reference XL years ago. When Transparent went to the first introduction of Opus ; I did not think they were significantly better than the Reference XL and I left Transparent on a quest for something better. My equipment got more exotic with one off hand built stuff and a variety of different cables. When Gen 5 arrived I thought it may be time for a re-visit to Transparent.

I started with Reference XL speaker cable; then phono, then the long lead from the preamp to amps on the other side of the room. Each step provided an upgrade to the sound (all the usual - transparency; sound stage; dynamics etc. - just more live). However, when the entire run from the source to the speaker was all Reference XL the synergy was significant. I replicated this exercise with Opus - same sequence same result - better. I then went to all Opus power cords and an Opus Power isolator on the front end. I was not prepared for the the startling improvement. Dumbfounded. So much better, the kind of 2+2 = 5 experience.

I then went to Magnum Opus same sequence same result - better. The lesson for me with Transparent is a all in proposition. One may gain improvements selectively with speaker cables and some interconnects, but the real punch comes when the total system is integrated. Therefore, it becomes a value question at what level of Transparent is one willing to spend and experience. I would take an all Gen 5 Reference XL system over selected Opus pieces. You get the idea.

Table: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0, Tri Planar U-12, MB LPS.
Phono amp: VLT TP 6.5 Series II
Line Stage: VTL TL 7.5 III.
Amps: VTL Siegfried II.
Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Interconnnects & Speaker.
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia 2.
Power: Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolator (front end).
Rack: GPA Silverstone F1 (x4).
Platforms: GPA under all components and speaker cable network.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, ski nut!

I am a big fan of the VTL electronics you have! I think they deserve the upcoming Alexx II! :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I though I would add to the link regarding Transparent cables. I will qualify myself as a believer in cables and the overall sonic palette. In the 80's I had big ARC mono blocks and bi wired MIT shotgun to a Vandersteen 2c - crazy, but the sonics were spectacular. I transitioned with equipment to Reference XL years ago. When Transparent went to the first introduction of Opus ; I did not think they were significantly better than the Reference XL and I left Transparent on a quest for something better. My equipment got more exotic with one off hand built stuff and a variety of different cables. When Gen 5 arrived I thought it may be time for a re-visit to Transparent.

I started with Reference XL speaker cable; then phono, then the long lead from the preamp to amps on the other side of the room. Each step provided an upgrade to the sound (all the usual - transparency; sound stage; dynamics etc. - just more live). However, when the entire run from the source to the speaker was all Reference XL the synergy was significant. I replicated this exercise with Opus - same sequence same result - better. I then went to all Opus power cords and an Opus Power isolator on the front end. I was not prepared for the the startling improvement. Dumbfounded. So much better, the kind of 2+2 = 5 experience.

I then went to Magnum Opus same sequence same result - better. The lesson for me with Transparent is a all in proposition. One may gain improvements selectively with speaker cables and some interconnects, but the real punch comes when the total system is integrated. Therefore, it becomes a value question at what level of Transparent is one willing to spend and experience. I would take an all Gen 5 Reference XL system over selected Opus pieces. You get the idea.

Ski Nut,

What a great post. And welcome to WBF!

I am a GPA and Transparent Audio fan also. A few weeks ago I put the GPA platforms under my Transparent Audio Magnum Opus speaker networks. And was pleasantly surprised, it was a total experiment, but paid off nicely sound wise. Typical GPA improvements, better resolution allowing for more spatial clues, textures, and frankly just more enjoyable.

See pic below.

IMG_0413.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Really great to read your experience. As a fan of TA since 2005, I can say as a TA Opus 5 owner they now are the 3rd longest running component in the system brand-wise and are still here. CJ ran from 2000 until 2020. Zanden from 2008 to today. Wilson from 2010 to today. Gryphon from 2010 to today. Velodyne from 1996 to today.

The consistency of TA ranks up there for me, and I also have a complete loom of their signal cables from end to end. On the power side, I only experimented (once the signal cables were all in) with the Opus power cable...and went a different direction. Sablon Audio Prince (Orange). That said, I never went 'end to end' with the Opus power cables...I only tried 1 of their power cables in comparison with several others I had at the time (Crystal Audio Absolute Dream, a big Siltech, PAD 25th Anniversary and 20th Anniversary) in the amp and again with the preamp.

If I ever decided to go back and listen to TA power cables, I will ask for a complete loom just in case. Enjoy your fantastic system.

BTW, can you provide any comparisons with Opus Gen 5 and Magnum Opus Gen 5? I have witnessed/owned/auditioned at home: XL MM2, XL Gen 5, Opus Gen 5 so have some familiarity with the uplift of each level. Would love to learn how the uplift from Opus to Magnum Opus compares relative to these other level upgrades. Again, I own Opus Gen 5 today and have read JFrech's comments about upgrading to Magnum Opus Gen 5 in the past. Thanks for any additional insights!

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
Ski Nut,

I am a GPA and Transparent Audio fan also. A few weeks ago I put the GPA platforms under my Transparent Audio Magnum Opus speaker networks. And was pleasantly surprised, it was a total experiment, but paid off nicely sound wise. Typical GPA improvements, better resolution allowing for more spatial clues, textures, and frankly just more enjoyable.

See pic below.
Ski Nut,

See pic below.

View attachment 73327
Ski Nut,

See pic below.

View attachment 73327
Very Cool. Obviously, I would agree with the approach. You may want to try the old small GPA compression discs under the feet between the network and the platform. I got another incremental improvement.

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
Really great to read your experience. As a fan of TA since 2005, I can say as a TA Opus 5 owner they now are the 3rd longest running component in the system brand-wise and are still here. CJ ran from 2000 until 2020. Zanden from 2008 to today. Wilson from 2010 to today. Gryphon from 2010 to today. Velodyne from 1996 to today.

The consistency of TA ranks up there for me, and I also have a complete loom of their signal cables from end to end. On the power side, I only experimented (once the signal cables were all in) with the Opus power cable...and went a different direction. Sablon Audio Prince (Orange). That said, I never went 'end to end' with the Opus power cables...I only tried 1 of their power cables in comparison with several others I had at the time (Crystal Audio Absolute Dream, a big Siltech, PAD 25th Anniversary and 20th Anniversary) in the amp and again with the preamp.

If I ever decided to go back and listen to TA power cables, I will ask for a complete loom just in case. Enjoy your fantastic system.

BTW, can you provide any comparisons with Opus Gen 5 and Magnum Opus Gen 5? I have witnessed/owned/auditioned at home: XL MM2, XL Gen 5, Opus Gen 5 so have some familiarity with the uplift of each level. Would love to learn how the uplift from Opus to Magnum Opus compares relative to these other level upgrades. Again, I own Opus Gen 5 today and have read JFrech's comments about upgrading to Magnum Opus Gen 5 in the past. Thanks for any additional insights!
Being familiar with the XL 5 to Opus 5 uplift the Magnum uplift is similar yet even more profound. I am not an audio writer so I can't describe in detail what I hear articulately. That said, the dynamics both micro and macro were startling. The noise floor was lower - a blacker black background. Passages in music I was very familiar with over decades were revealed in a more natural way. I would not say I heard things I never heard before; rather their was just more coherence in the performance and once you hear it...there's no going back. Every album I pulled out and listen to was a new delightful experience. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Gardener

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Being familiar with the XL 5 to Opus 5 uplift the Magnum uplift is similar yet even more profound. I am not an audio writer so I can't describe in detail what I hear articulately. That said, the dynamics both micro and macro were startling. The noise floor was lower - a blacker black background. Passages in music I was very familiar with over decades were revealed in a more natural way. I would not say I heard things I never heard before; rather their was just more coherence in the performance and once you hear it...there's no going back. Every album I pulled out and listen to was a new delightful experience. I hope this helps.
Thank you!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well said. My experience also on the Gen 5 Opus to Magnum...

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Does anyone have experience in placing damper plates under TA Opus speaker cable networks? Does this improve SQ in any respect? Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Does anyone have experience in placing damper plates under TA Opus speaker cable networks? Does this improve SQ in any respect? Thanks.
I have and have found a meaningful improvement. However on the newer Gen 6 it's not as significant as prior versions, I think TA worked on the vibration damping in the Gen 6 networks.

IMG_1805 2.jpg

Reactions: Frankie67

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
I have and have found a meaningful improvement. However on the newer Gen 6 it's not as significant as prior versions, I think TA worked on the vibration damping in the Gen 6 networks.

View attachment 101451
Thanks. Do you believe that placing isoacoustics footers under the network would suffice?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks. Do you believe that placing isoacoustics footers under the network would suffice?
I would try it for sure. Easy to add/remove...

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
I am going to upgrade cables in my dcs Vivaldi stack, D'Agostino Momentum phono preamp and Transparent Audio Isolator from Reference to Opus. I already have Opus IC throughout the system and Opus speaker cables, except for my Gryphon amps (respectively, Gryphon Mephisto and Gryphon Commander preamp) in which Gryphon recommended to use their own (Vanta) cables. Do you believe that I would loose synergy not having Opus in the amps as well? Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am going to upgrade cables in my dcs Vivaldi stack, D'Agostino Momentum phono preamp and Transparent Audio Isolator from Reference to Opus. I already have Opus IC throughout the system and Opus speaker cables, except for my Gryphon amps (respectively, Gryphon Mephisto and Gryphon Commander preamp) in which Gryphon recommended to use their own (Vanta) cables. Do you believe that I would loose synergy not having Opus in the amps as well? Thanks.
This is hard to say without trying. My suspicion is yes, I wonder if Transparent has any clients moving from the Gryphon cables to Opus and could give you some advice or hook you up for a reference....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing