Transparent Opus Gen 5 vs Transparent Opus MM2 mini review

number95

May 14, 2014
I just bought a Opus power cord (for my amp). I had it on demo for a few weeks. I'm impressed to. I would not say it's all around better than my previous cord. But is clearly a better match for my system and ears in the area's of dynamics, beauty, textures in the bass and top end. The Transparent Opus power cord is very similar to the Opus signal cabling. I could see someone saying the Transparent Opus Power cord is dark in a comparison...but it presents all of the information just in a more natural and pleasing way to me. It's one of those things that you keep comparing and you just keep going back to it...goes for the heart vs the head.

It is not perhaps related to topic but I am impressed with Stage III power cords. Perhaps similar to Transparent Opus PC, they first sound as dark, but then one realizes that they even contain more high frequency detail but there is no hi freq noise, distortion just the data. Kraken is a significant step above any power cord that I tried, Leviathan is a better Kraken almost in every way.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been listening to a system i know reasonably well in my dealer's room (where i have spent countless hours over the years)...where they have been breaking in a pair of Opus Gen 5 SCs...been an interesting and familiar ride as i have popped in from time to time.

After the first 2 listens over a period of a few days, the third listen resulted in a system that seemed incredibly more composed than i remember it. And it seems incredibly quiet in a way that i am used to experiencing from new upgrades of TA cable. Of course, setup matters, and each time the same equipment is setup, or moved, or tweaked...it could well be very different from the last time. Nevertheless, i find the system incredibly composed where detail in the piano decay from the prior note is there where perhaps a single new piano note might otherwise have appeared. The fact that it is right there, this decay, whereas before i cannot recall it...is something to behold for an audiophile.

That said, its not all smooth sailing...as noted by others before me, across these visits, the cable's sound became notably better in certain respects...but was not quite as improved in others, leaving a very unbalanced performance. I have experienced this unbalanced evolution of sound first hand in burning in my own TA cables. In this case, the third time, the entire presentation was starting to sound a bit more balanced...and incredibly nuanced in a way that is fantastic for enjoying music...and its still not had 100 hours on it yet, probably closer to 40 perhaps. So more to come.

...will be interesting to hear what 100+ hours sounds like on this cable.

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
I have been listening to a system i know reasonably well in my dealer's room (where i have spent countless hours over the years)...where they have been breaking in a pair of Opus Gen 5 SCs...been an interesting and familiar ride as i have popped in from time to time.

After the first 2 listens over a period of a few days, the third listen resulted in a system that seemed incredibly more composed than i remember it. And it seems incredibly quiet in a way that i am used to experiencing from new upgrades of TA cable. Of course, setup matters, and each time the same equipment is setup, or moved, or tweaked...it could well be very different from the last time. Nevertheless, i find the system incredibly composed where detail in the piano decay from the prior note is there where perhaps a single new piano note might otherwise have appeared. The fact that it is right there, this decay, whereas before i cannot recall it...is something to behold for an audiophile.

That said, its not all smooth sailing...as noted by others before me, across these visits, the cable's sound became notably better in certain respects...but was not quite as improved in others, leaving a very unbalanced performance. I have experienced this unbalanced evolution of sound first hand in burning in my own TA cables. In this case, the third time, the entire presentation was starting to sound a bit more balanced...and incredibly nuanced in a way that is fantastic for enjoying music...and its still not had 100 hours on it yet, probably closer to 40 perhaps. So more to come.

...will be interesting to hear what 100+ hours sounds like on this cable.

I have had similar experiences with Ref XL and then Ref MM, until they were fully broken in, they had some inconsistencies or unbalanced improvement. My Ref MM improved until 200-250 hours but after 150 the changes were subtle.

With Magnum Opus SC, so far 50 hours and no ups/downs which is very surprising, it has gradually improved in almost every way such that the performance is jaw dropping.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have had similar experiences with Ref XL and then Ref MM, until they were fully broken in, they had some inconsistencies or unbalanced improvement. My Ref MM improved until 200-250 hours but after 150 the changes were subtle.

With Magnum Opus SC, so far 50 hours and no ups/downs which is very surprising, it has gradually improved in almost every way such that the performance is jaw dropping.

When do you new amps come in? I have to wonder if the sc is as big of a deal as the new amps...any more comments on how it's "jaw dropping"? You know I'm wondering here :)

number95

May 14, 2014
When do you new amps come in? I have to wonder if the sc is as big of a deal as the new amps...any more comments on how it's "jaw dropping"? You know I'm wondering here :)

Hope they will be delivered late Jan.

As for Magnum Opus, fluidity, continuity as well as resolution, dynamic range are amazing. These qualities also create a sound stage with a better depth and layering. Let me try to explain with some comparisons. When M Pros replaced BW 800s, there was a remarkable difference even from the first moment which it got better while Ms breaking in. Another moment was when Ref 10 pre replaced Ref 3, everything that Ref 3 made was bettered by Ref 10 even w/o burning in, the difference was almost dramatic. I would say the impact of Magnum SC is at par with Ref 10's case which I still give the most dramatic one as M Pros. Without a speaker like M Pros, which are almost acting as transparent windows, one may not truely judge the impact of other equipments.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . With Magnum Opus SC, so far 50 hours and no ups/downs which is very surprising, it has gradually improved in almost every way such that the performance is jaw dropping.

I received a call from the hyperbole police. The officer asked for a clear and detailed explanation of why you find the Magnum Opus SC to be "jaw dropping."

For example, when you write that "the resolution [and] dynamic range are amazing" are you comparing the resolution and the dynamic range of the new cables to the resolution and the dynamic range of the old cables? If so, how are you benchmarking resolution and dynamic range to make these comparisons?

number95

May 14, 2014
I received a call from the hyperbole police. The officer asked for a clear and detailed explanation of why you find the Magnum Opus SC to be "jaw dropping."

For example, when you write that "the resolution [and] dynamic range are amazing" are you comparing the resolution and the dynamic range of the new cables to the resolution and the dynamic range of the old cables? If so, how are you benchmarking resolution and dynamic range to make these comparisons?

Hi Ron,

Actually both. The difference between Magnum Opus and Ref MM is huge in every respect. I also tried previously Opus MM2 and -assume my memory is right- it is also no match. Another reference is well others ears which one relies. After Magnum, a recent gathering of listening has concluded that after Magnums, the resolution (not the dynamic range though) of system is now better than another reference or benchmark system which has not been the case before Magnums arrived (that is the jury's decision). As Jfrech states, this is like a serious component upgrade similar to a speaker or amp change. Anyway I don't want to be charged by hyperbole officer so I may correct as at least my jaws are dropping :D

number95

May 14, 2014
Hi Ron,

Actually both. The difference between Magnum Opus and Ref MM is huge in every respect. I also tried previously Opus MM2 and -assume my memory is right- it is also no match. Another reference is well others ears which one relies. After Magnum, a recent gathering of listening has concluded that after Magnums, the resolution (not the dynamic range though) of system is now better than another reference or benchmark system which has not been the case before Magnums arrived (that is the jury's decision). As Jfrech states, this is like a serious component upgrade similar to a speaker or amp change. Anyway I don't want to be charged by hyperbole officer so I may correct as at least my jaws are dropping :D

If I also understand you correctly you were curious if there has been a live a-b comparison between two cables. Yes that has been the case before I sent my old cables. Right out of the box, cold, not tuned to my current amps, Magnum Opus was clearly superior compared to a well burned in, specially tuned to amps Ref MM.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If I also understand you correctly you were curious if there has been a live a-b comparison between two cables. Yes that has been the case before I sent my old cables. Right out of the box, cold, not tuned to my current amps, Magnum Opus was clearly superior compared to a well burned in, specially tuned to amps Ref MM.

Yes, I was curious about that comparison! I will forward your explanation to the hyperbole officer.

I am happy for your that the Magnum Opus has made such a significant contribution to your system!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hope they will be delivered late Jan.

As for Magnum Opus, fluidity, continuity as well as resolution, dynamic range are amazing. These qualities also create a sound stage with a better depth and layering. Let me try to explain with some comparisons. When M Pros replaced BW 800s, there was a remarkable difference even from the first moment which it got better while Ms breaking in. Another moment was when Ref 10 pre replaced Ref 3, everything that Ref 3 made was bettered by Ref 10 even w/o burning in, the difference was almost dramatic. I would say the impact of Magnum SC is at par with Ref 10's case which I still give the most dramatic one as M Pros. Without a speaker like M Pros, which are almost acting as transparent windows, one may not truely judge the impact of other equipments.

Sounds fantastic! Any comments from anyone you know about Magnus Opus vs Opus Gen 5? Or perhaps you have compared?

number95

May 14, 2014
Sounds fantastic! Any comments from anyone you know about Magnus Opus vs Opus Gen 5? Or perhaps you have compared?

Sorry I could not yet hear Opus Gen V.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry I could not yet hear Opus Gen V.

Thanks for letting me know...most curious! I am sure Magnus is a major upgrade over even the great Opus Gen 5, if all the other comparisons in the Transparent family from the past are any indication. Enjoy!

number95

May 14, 2014
Finally Magnum Opus interconnectors arrived. Now having a full Magnum Opus synergy all across the signal chain in addition to previous Magnum Opus SC (except phono cables which are still Ref mm2).

After a bit experimentation that which cable is creating most impact, concluded that they have a synergy when combined together. Performance? Right out of the box, it is a killer. Haven't yet experienced any audio gear from the first second of usage creating such a positive impact without almost any reservations expect perhaps wishing what it does or doesn't become even better. After 25 hours I am still amazed. No need to refer to audiophile vocabulary. Perhaps rhaps with one sentence to describe, they are the most dynamic cables that I heard but the most relaxing ones. Weird but true to ears. The change is no less than a major speaker or amplifier or source upgrade, no kidding.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Finally Magnum Opus interconnectors arrived. Now having a full Magnum Opus synergy all across the signal chain in addition to previous Magnum Opus SC (except phono cables which are still Ref mm2).

After a bit experimentation that which cable is creating most impact, concluded that they have a synergy when combined together. Performance? Right out of the box, it is a killer. Haven't yet experienced any audio gear from the first second of usage creating such a positive impact without almost any reservations expect perhaps wishing what it does or doesn't become even better. After 25 hours I am still amazed. No need to refer to audiophile vocabulary. Perhaps rhaps with one sentence to describe, they are the most dynamic cables that I heard but the most relaxing ones. Weird but true to ears. The change is no less than a major speaker or amplifier or source upgrade, no kidding.

Congratulations ! I'm continually amazed at really great cabling like Transparent. I have to agree, it's like a source or amp upgrade...potentially bigger even..

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
You guys are killing me. I thought I was done buying cables for a while. I may have to try to hear some Gen V for myself. Myles has them for review.

Wish we were making this up...The Opus Source Power Cord is pretty sweet to

number95

May 14, 2014
You guys are killing me. I thought I was done buying cables for a while. I may have to try to hear some Gen V for myself. Myles has them for review.

Hi Peter,

Make no mistake Ref MM2 is a great cable. You don't need to try Gen V Opus or Magnum Opus. But if you try there is no going back. At least that is what I experienced.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's been 2 months with the Opus 5s. Of course the whole system is basically settling into the new place, and Furutech outlets, etc are also new. Only about 4 weeks of steady playing...[maybe] 160 hours?

number95

May 14, 2014
It's been 2 months with the Opus 5s. Of course the whole system is basically settling into the new place, and Furutech outlets, etc are also new. Only about 4 weeks of steady playing...[maybe] 160 hours?

Congratulations with new setup and Opus V. I am sure you must be enjoying it.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014

congratulations. what would be interesting to do is a comparison between your stage 3s and the new gen v power cords...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing