Transparent Opus Gen 5 vs Transparent Opus MM2 mini review

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've upgraded a few cables to the new Transparent Gen 5. But was never able to do a strict A-B of a Gen 5 vs MM2 with only 1 variable changing. Today that changed. The cable was from my phono stage to pre amp. I own a MM2 Opus, my dealer had a Gen 5 Opus, we both have the same phono and preamps. Both, 1m RCA to RCA.

Well, it's not close. The MM2 sounds simply great. I had zero issues with it. And didn't really want to spend more money on more cables.

I have to admit...The Gen 5 is a upgrade-and it's not subtle. Lower noise. More dynamics, deeper bass, more clarity but more organic also...and more resolute. It's hard to go back to MM2.

The Opus MM2 is one of the best cables on the planet....the gen 5 are just better.

Just listen and your ears will tell you...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Like you, I would have a hard time comparing the two generations without a matched cable. I am very happy with the Gen 5 upgrade on my interconnects but was holding off on updating my Opus SC to Gen 5 hoping it might not be a big enough change. Well, I spoke with a friend who has received his updated Opus to Gen5 and he is more than pleased with the sound. Darn, now I have to set aside some time and funds for this too.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Like you, I would have a hard time comparing the two generations without a matched cable. I am very happy with the Gen 5 upgrade on my interconnects but was holding off on updating my Opus SC to Gen 5 hoping it might not be a big enough change. Well, I spoke with a friend who has received his updated Opus to Gen5 and he is more than pleased with the sound. Darn, now I have to set aside some time and funds for this too.

Hi Jim, I hear you...I was holding off on my Opus MM2 SC also...I was just happy with everything. But I think I have my answer now...it's more than I might have thought. Did your friend upgrade MM2 or swap out all the way to Gen 5? I think the only difference to all the way is the new wire..the network changes/update being maybe 90% of the way to Gen 5.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi Jim, I hear you...I was holding off on my Opus MM2 SC also...I was just happy with everything. But I think I have my answer now...it's more than I might have thought. Did your friend upgrade MM2 or swap out all the way to Gen 5? I think the only difference to all the way is the new wire..the network changes/update being maybe 90% of the way to Gen 5.

He had his Opus MM2 SC updated to Gen 5, it was not a swap out. That would be pretty pricey to take the hit on selling the MM2 and purchasing Gen 5. I now some people can do it, but not me at this time. I do know that my dealer has sold at least two pair of the Magnum Opus.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
He had his Opus MM2 SC updated to Gen 5, it was not a swap out. That would be pretty pricey to take the hit on selling the MM2 and purchasing Gen 5. I now some people can do it, but not me at this time. I do know that my dealer has sold at least two pair of the Magnum Opus.

So what do they say about the Magnum Opus SC? I can't afford it...but more curious...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I haven't had the opportunity to spend time with them since the change.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I haven't had the opportunity to spend time with them since the change.

Well, I ordered a Magnum Opus to replace my Opus MM2 single ended interconnect today (between phono and pre). This was my very first Opus...and soon my very first Magnum Opus. Very curious...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well, I ordered a Magnum Opus to replace my Opus MM2 single ended interconnect today (between phono and pre). This was my very first Opus...and soon my very first Magnum Opus. Very curious...

Keep us posted. Wow.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Keep us posted. Wow.

My first set of Magnum Opus were delivered today by my dealer (Ne Plus Ultra in Austin). Damn...only 2.5 hours on the clock right now...I had my dealer Opus Gen 5 for a few days before these showed up (my opus mm2's had went back for the trade in). The Magnum Opus are quicker and do soft to loud/loud to soft with speed in comparison. And then the usual Transparent upgrade qualities also are there...lower noise, better bass, but adding now wider and deeper stage and better dynamics. My experience is that after 1-200 hours these cables should get a lot better.

This particular cable is between my phono and pre...the next Magnum Opus cable on order will be from tonearm to phono...

I'll summarize here...will post more in a few weeks as the cables break in, but cold out of the flight case, the Magnum Opus are a definite step up from the Opus Gen 5. I'm all grins...wow.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
My first set of Magnum Opus were delivered today by my dealer (Ne Plus Ultra in Austin). Damn...only 2.5 hours on the clock right now...I had my dealer Opus Gen 5 for a few days before these showed up (my opus mm2's had went back for the trade in). The Magnum Opus are quicker and do soft to loud/loud to soft with speed in comparison. And then the usual Transparent upgrade qualities also are there...lower noise, better bass, but adding now wider and deeper stage and better dynamics. My experience is that after 1-200 hours these cables should get a lot better.

This particular cable is between my phono and pre...the next Magnum Opus cable on order will be from tonearm to phono...

I'll summarize here...will post more in a few weeks as the cables break in, but cold out of the flight case, the Magnum Opus are a definite step up from the Opus Gen 5. I'm all grins...wow.

Many thanks for the update. Have you noticed any significant improvements in microdynamics and timbres so far? Looking forward to further updates. Enjoy your new cables.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Many thanks for the update. Have you noticed any significant improvements in microdynamics and timbres so far? Looking forward to further updates. Enjoy your new cables.

I've long thought timbre's were a strength of Opus (mm2 and gen 5) - Magnum is better here and I'd say better textures. Again...maybe 5-6 hours playing time...from my experience 1-200 hours should yield improvement...

when I am saying soft to loud...i'm really saying macro and micro dym...everything is just quicker

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I've long thought timbre's were a strength of Opus (mm2 and gen 5) - Magnum is better here and I'd say better textures. Again...maybe 5-6 hours playing time...from my experience 1-200 hours should yield improvement...

when I am saying soft to loud...i'm really saying macro and micro dym...everything is just quicker

Great, many thanks for feedback

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
View attachment 20822

Transparent Gen. 5 differentially balanced phono going into Doshi 3.0 phono and using either Ortofon A95 or Atlas.

The rest of the cables arrive today.

Very curious what you think... when the other cables show up. I'm smitten with my changes.

Frankly, I'd expect the improvement I am hearing as being a new phono stage vs just cables...The Nagra has gone the extra mile for me and a few others. That said, I've read what you and others say about the Doshi...I'd like to hear it one day soon...my cables are a fixture that I don't want to ever change.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Definitely will be reading this thread with interest. Congrats, gentlemen. will also be giving some thought here to whether i go for all the trade-in Opus MM2s that are apparently starting to come to the market...or bite a very big bullet and start going to Gen 5/Magnus. I suspect the former for me given the cost-benefit, particularly for a 4.5m-5m length of speaker cable. nevertheless, will enjoy reading this thread...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
View attachment 20822

Transparent Gen. 5 differentially balanced phono going into Doshi 3.0 phono and using either Ortofon A95 or Atlas.

The rest of the cables arrive today.

Welcome back to WBF, Myles. As you know I have Transparent REF XL and MadFloyd has a full set of Viero cables, some of which I have heard. I will be very interested in reading what you think of the new Gen 5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on this forum.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Perhaps Nick might be better at explaining what he and Josh worked on together as I'm still putting all the pieces together. But it involved optimizing the Transparent network system so as to work in concert with the phono section to properly load the cartridge. The end result is that the unit's noise levels approach the theoretical minimum.

Perhaps this write up from Still One/Jim's report from Paragon Sight and Sounds Show might shed more light.

Nick Doshi, Owner & Chief Designer of Doshi Audio, will be conducting demonstrations of the SE and Differential Network cabling, particularly in relation to MC cartridge playback through balanced inputs vs. rca. The new series of phono cables by Transparent are designed specifically for differential balanced MC stages. This configuration allows for the networks to work on both legs of the balanced line from the Moving Coil Cartridge and results in performance that is enhanced in all areas. The largest gains are in dynamics, soundstaging and noise floor. The Doshi Audio V3.0 Phono preamplifier has been designed with differential inputs to be able to take advantage of MC cartridges as differential output transducers

Thanks Myles

That is very interesting.

Are there other companies beside Nick that do the same

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Perhaps Nick might be better at explaining what he and Josh worked on together as I'm still putting all the pieces together. But it involved optimizing the Transparent network system so as to work in concert with the phono section to properly load the cartridge. The end result is that the unit's noise levels approach the theoretical minimum.

Perhaps this write up from Still One/Jim's report from Paragon Sight and Sounds Show might shed more light.

Nick Doshi, Owner & Chief Designer of Doshi Audio, will be conducting demonstrations of the SE and Differential Network cabling, particularly in relation to MC cartridge playback through balanced inputs vs. rca. The new series of phono cables by Transparent are designed specifically for differential balanced MC stages. This configuration allows for the networks to work on both legs of the balanced line from the Moving Coil Cartridge and results in performance that is enhanced in all areas. The largest gains are in dynamics, soundstaging and noise floor. The Doshi Audio V3.0 Phono preamplifier has been designed with differential inputs to be able to take advantage of MC cartridges as differential output transducers

Please allow me to simplify it for everyone. If the name has any relevance to the product it most likely means that Transparent stuck a transformer in their cute little box! The intent of balanced topology is hum reduction over very long runs of wire. I absolutely see no need for a transformer in a 1.5m connection IF the electronics are built and designed properly! You can buy such transformers for a few dollars if you're curious about their effect on sound quality.

The Doshi Audio V3.0 Phono preamplifier has been designed with differential inputs to be able to take advantage of MC cartridges as differential output transducers

I'm curious about "MC cartridges as differential output transducers" what does this mean exactly? Do MC cartridges actually put out a balanced cartridge on their own or they need a balanced transformer inserted somewhere in line to create the second signal leg for the "differential" input, i.e. yet another transformer or electronic circuit in the signal path! What about the output? Is there another transformer/electronic circuit or or good old SE topology will suffice?

the ability to set two different settings and remotely switch between the two and lastly, remote control absolute phase. It's still breaking but the dynamics are out of this world, with either the new Viero phono or Transparent cable.

Even if one could remove this circuitry to compare, which is impossible in this form; I'd love to hear the conceptual sonic advantages derived with the addition of yet more solenoid switches and remote control circuitry in line with the source can enhance sound with "out of this world dynamics"?

david

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
A couple of points :

1- MC cartridges are differential devices - this simply means that both +/- are floating (not tied to ground) and that they have signal present in equal magnitude and opposite phase.
2- A differential amplifier amplifies the signal present on both the positive and negative legs of the cartridge. it is better able to reject common mode noise and since it is not referenced to ground, is relatively immune to ground noise. If I believed SE technology would suffice, I would have used it.
3- The Transparent phono cable that Josh developed uses transparent networks in differential mode thus preserving the transmission of the signal to the Phono input. Feel free to contact Josh at transparent for further information
4- there are no transformers used in the cable on in the input of the Doshi MC stage.
5- there are other manufacturers building balanced MC inputs, for many varied reasons, I believe my phono stage is at least their equal. It certainly has achieved the engineering and subjective criteria I put forth in the design.
6- I did a demonstration at Paragon where the only change was the cable, maybe the folks at the demo can relay what they heard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing