1" 30ips Studio Master Tape Dubbing

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Can anyone suggest how I might have a 2-track 1" 30 ips master tape dubbed to 2-track 1/4" 15 ips? A friend of mine bought a lot of master tapes from the defunct Capricorn Records library. No one that we know has a 1" 30 ips deck. The tape content is from some Kansas sessions. (No copyright issues as nothing is being offered for sale). The idea is to donate the master tape to whomever can dub it. We would need 2 copies and will supply the tape and reels. The master is Ampex stock, so it would probably have to be baked first. That could be done on our end if that is preferred.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Can anyone suggest how I might have a 2-track 1" 30 ips master tape dubbed to 2-track 1/4" 15 ips? A friend of mine bought a lot of master tapes from the defunct Capricorn Records library. No one that we know has a 1" 30 ips deck. The tape content is from some Kansas sessions. (No copyright issues as nothing is being offered for sale). The idea is to donate the master tape to whomever can dub it. We would need 2 copies and will supply the tape and reels. The master is Ampex stock, so it would probably have to be baked first. That could be done on our end if that is preferred.

The Tape Project uses a 1" deck for their working masters, and then dubs to 1/4". so if you contact either Paul Stubblebine or Dan Schmalle at info@tapeproject.com they should be able to help you get those tapes dubbed to 1/4".

now, of course, if you don't have license to do that (don't legally own the rights to copy that music) you could end up striking out as that must be done under the radar and Paul and Dan are all about following the rules. if your purchase included license to copy then you are good to go. you might be right on the copyright issue, and it might be an issue.

you might need to find a friendly private party with 1" and the working knowledge on how to bake tapes. not likely too many of those.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
The Tape Project uses a 1" deck for their working masters, and then dubs to 1/4". so if you contact either Paul Stubblebine or Dan Schmalle at info@tapeproject.com they should be able to help you get those tapes dubbed to 1/4". now, of course, if you don't have license to do that (don't legally own the rights to copy that music) you could end up striking out as that must be done under the radar and Paul and Dan are all about following the rules. if your purchase included license to copy then you are good to go.

you might need to find a friendly private party with 1". not likely too many of those.

That pretty much sums up the problem as we've discovered. Still, never hurts to ask.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That pretty much sums up the problem as we've discovered. Still, never hurts to ask.

it actually might be easier to find a working 1" deck, a 1" deck that needs a little work, or a 1" head block and guides/hubs for your existing deck than finding a 1" owner who can help you. there is no market for them and if you look a little you may come across one on the cheap.

then you can listen to those puppies in all their 1" glory when you want. and there are likely other 1" tapes out there needing a home.

when I got my 1/2" A-820 I considered 1". but it's added maintenance due to the extreme alignment sensitivity (1" tape will not bend even a little) pushed me away.

1" 2-track 30ips is the bomb, if not real world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing