Spectral and Nordost

alessandro61

Apr 18, 2015
Hi folks!

My name is Alessandro and I'm writing from Italy, Milan.
First of all I would like to tell you that I am very happy to share with you my passion for High End and, in my way, for Spectral Audio products.
I'm playing music with Dma 260 s2, Dmc 30 ss s2, Magico Mini 1st version, Dcs Puccini combo, MIT interconnect cables, and I wonder if someone uses Nordost power cables instead of MIT with Spectral gear.
What about your impressions?
Thank you for replay

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome Alessandro! I can only share with you that I have not had as good results with MIT power cords as I have with Shunyata in sheer bass weight and dynamic range - measurable, too, with test tones; no experience with Nordost per se. Signal cables are all MIT.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Welcome Alessandro,

I too have a DMA 260, but use a tube BAT preamp. The combination of the two is wonderful to my taste. When I first bought the Spectral, I was using Shunyata Anaconda interconnects, which sounded wonderful when I had a Bryston 4BSST2, but just sounded wrong with the Spectral. I reluctantly purchased, at great expense, MIT MA-X interconnects and digital cable, plus Oracle MH-80 speaker wire. After I got out of the financial ICU, I must say that my sound improved markedly and my amp seemed to be more stable and powerful. Since those changes, I have had no problems and actually have the best sound I have ever had.

I do want to say that I am a true Shunyata believer and have their PC's, receptacles, Triton and Typhon in my system. Unfortunately, the interconnects that they were making 18 months ago just did not work with the Spectral. Having just spent a day at Shunyata on Friday, I do know that their new interconnects have changed considerably and may now work.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi folks!

My name is Alessandro and I'm writing from Italy, Milan.
First of all I would like to tell you that I am very happy to share with you my passion for High End and, in my way, for Spectral Audio products.
I'm playing music with Dma 260 s2, Dmc 30 ss s2, Magico Mini 1st version, Dcs Puccini combo, MIT interconnect cables, and I wonder if someone uses Nordost power cables instead of MIT with Spectral gear.
Thank you for replay

I have tried almost all MIT power cables (AC1, 2 and 3) and they are not the best. Using top line MIT MAX for the rest (amps: Spectral 360) / Spectral 3000 feeding dCS Elgar Plus). If you are in for a top power cable, put Elrod on the top of your audition list. Have fun!

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Welcome Alessandro,

I too have a DMA 260, but use a tube BAT preamp. The combination of the two is wonderful to my taste. When I first bought the Spectral, I was using Shunyata Anaconda interconnects, which sounded wonderful when I had a Bryston 4BSST2, but just sounded wrong with the Spectral. I reluctantly purchased, at great expense, MIT MA-X interconnects and digital cable, plus Oracle MH-80 speaker wire. After I got out of the financial ICU, I must say that my sound improved markedly and my amp seemed to be more stable and powerful. Since those changes, I have had no problems and actually have the best sound I have ever had.

I do want to say that I am a true Shunyata believer and have their PC's, receptacles, Triton and Typhon in my system. Unfortunately, the interconnects that they were making 18 months ago just did not work with the Spectral. Having just spent a day at Shunyata on Friday, I do know that their new interconnects have changed considerably and may now work.

Spectral equipment requires the use of the MIT manufactured cable. The Spectral has an exceptionally wide frequency bandwidth and has chosen to incorporate a high frequency filter in the cable to prevent oscillation. If you don't use the specified cable it will void the warranty.

If you use Spectral equipment you should use the cable that it was designed to work with.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Spectral equipment requires the use of the MIT manufactured cable. The Spectral has an exceptionally wide frequency bandwidth and has chosen to incorporate a high frequency filter in the cable to prevent oscillation. If you don't use the specified cable it will void the warranty.

If you use Spectral equipment you should use the cable that it was designed to work with.

True. But this does NOT apply to power cables.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I wonder if someone uses Nordost power cables instead of MIT with Spectral gear.

I power all my electronics with Nordost Brahma power cords. This includes my Spectral DMC-30S preamp and DMA-150mk2 amp. These responded incredibly well to the Nordost cords. I could not be happier with the results. I can't say how this would compare to MIT's own power cords. I've never tried them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing