Repair an old GyroDec or replace?

scooter

Dec 25, 2013
I have an old JA Michell Gyrodec with an SME IV arm and Van Den Hul One cartridge that I have had for 20 years. The pabst motor died and the cost to upgrade the table to a current Gyrodec (approx $1500) is making me think about replacing it with a different turntable. Does anyone have opinions on how a Gyrodec would compare with a replacement table? Should I also consider replacing the arm even though the SME is still made (the cartridge is newer)?

jperry

Aug 10, 2014
I don't think you can make a big improvement for $1,500. Why don't you just replace the motor instead of upgrading the turntable? If you change your mind later you can sell the turntable without being buried in it cost-wise. The SME tonearm is still a great tonearm, so I would not replace The "GyroDec DC Motor and Power Supply Upgrade Kit" is $595 from through Artech Electronics. I have also seen replacement motors on ebay. I had the same problem and replaced the motor on my Gyrodec. It works and sounds fine now.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I don't think you can make a big improvement for $1,500. Why don't you just replace the motor instead of upgrading the turntable? If you change your mind later you can sell the turntable without being buried in it cost-wise. The SME tonearm is still a great tonearm, so I would not replace The "GyroDec DC Motor and Power Supply Upgrade Kit" is $595 from through Artech Electronics. I have also seen replacement motors on ebay. I had the same problem and replaced the motor on my Gyrodec. It works and sounds fine now.

Agreed, if $1,500 is the cost to fix your current Gyro, there's nothing out there that would compete at that price range. Especially nothing that comes with that pistonic bounce. ;)

Artech Electronics is the US and Canadian distributor. Dave is a great guy to talk to there. http://www.artech-electronics.com/us/index.html

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Stick to the Gyro. You might want to consider upgrading it with the Orbe platter as well. The Gyro cannot be beaten in its price range and it is one of the best looking TT (I am biased as I used to have an Orbe which I kept during 16 years).

I owned a Gyro, then an Orbe; I was particularly delighted with the Gyrodeck, a terrific value for the money. Getting the suspension correct is critical. Replace the motor, then evaluate how to proceed. If you are itching to improve the performance consider a good isolation platform. Should clean up the bass & midrange.

scooter

Dec 25, 2013
So the replacement motor was supposed to be delivered sometime late this week or early next... I happen to be looking at the front door camera footage because my wife said some strange person knocked on the front door this AM. Instead of finding him, I find a woman throwing her coat over a box and walking away with it. The vendor did not require a signature for a $700 item and then the USPS person didn't ring the doorbell even though my wife was home. The package was stolen about 30 minutes after it was delivered. What makes this even more brazen is that I not only live across from the playground for a school that is always busy but you also have to walk down a 20' enclosed corridor to get to my front door. The woman had no idea though that there was a camera there... Lets hope the vendor doesn't cause trouble and either sends me a replacement or refunds my credit card.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
So the replacement motor was supposed to be delivered sometime late this week or early next... I happen to be looking at the front door camera footage because my wife said some strange person knocked on the front door this AM. Instead of finding him, I find a woman throwing her coat over a box and walking away with it. The vendor did not require a signature for a $700 item and then the USPS person didn't ring the doorbell even though my wife was home. The package was stolen about 30 minutes after it was delivered. What makes this even more brazen is that I not only live across from the playground for a school that is always busy but you also have to walk down a 20' enclosed corridor to get to my front door. The woman had no idea though that there was a camera there... Lets hope the vendor doesn't cause trouble and either sends me a replacement or refunds my credit card.

Oh wow! That's just terrible. Have you contacted the police and filed a report? Not that it will help you get your motor back, but you never know, the thief might eventually be arrested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing