When the "cover" song is as good or better than the original

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Most covers struggle to approach the original. But sometimes, they create unique works of arts of their own, even though they are a "copy" of the original. After all, a painting is a copy of the real thing and we praise that.

So I thought I create a thread and have everyone post the covers they enjoy as much if not more than the original.

To get us started, here is the House of the Rising Sun, sung by Kimberly Nichole in the show, The Voice:

And the "original" as sung by Animals: [yes, I know, they were also doing a cover as this is a much older song than their rendition]

The real hero in The Voice version is the band, holy crap! They made her performance!
http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/about/bio/the-voice-band

The Animals version cant be touched, love the video, Metallica Master of Puppets be damned! I love how they guitar and bass players follow the singer around the stage in a funeral march, wind up at the keyboard for the solo and them complete the laparound the stage. Brilliant early music video. Not a cable to be seen, early Wi-Fi!:):p:D

I "dig" how Hilton Valentine keeps a stone face till the last verse and then totally hams it up behind Eric.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Not better, just different...Brad Mehldau takes on Jimi Hendrix

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last edited:

APP

Oct 1, 2014
One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)

First recorded by Fred Astaire in the movie musical "The Sky's the Limit"

Covered many, many times but Sinatra owns this...

My favorite version is 'unplugged' off the triple best of Capitol Records set...

+1!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That makes me think of the Brother's Johnson whose greatest hit was a Shuggie Otis cover:

I still have the red vinyl 12" EP of that with "Get Da Funk Outta My Face" on the B side. Might have to give that spin today! :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Ian Shaw covers Joni Mitchell's "BARANGRILL"...don't miss this one guys...

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..well duh...thx Johnny!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding

Written by Nick Lowe and first performed by his group Brinsley Schwarz

Lowe would later produce the definitive version by Elvis Costello and the Attractions (initially released as a B side for Lowe's great "American Squirm")

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sara Bareilles, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This is at least as good as the original, and perhaps, dare I say it, even better. And how can you be even better than Elton John on a song of his -- he is enormously difficult to sing? Yet I think this may very well be:

https://youtu.be/eAti8JNmJi8

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Squeeze re-recorded an album of their best songs "Spot The Difference"...brilliant CD

Recently ran across this BBC documentary...

Once you get past the stunning physical transformation of Glen Tilbrook, it's an amazing documentary

Last edited:

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Sara Bareilles, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

This is at least as good as the original, and perhaps, dare I say it, even better. And how can you be even better than Elton John on a song of his -- he is enormously difficult to sing? Yet I think this may very well be:

https://youtu.be/eAti8JNmJi8
I agree and had meant to suggest this one myself. Great sound too on the version from her her live "Brave Enough" album which she does entirely solo. One of my favorite albums of recent.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Really like the Bangles cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter"

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
the great[luther Vandross]was a master at taking an original and making it his own[since I lost my baby-a hose is not a home]the marvelettes great cover of[that's how heartaches are made].

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing