Interesting Vivid Listening Rooms (world-wide) - Show Us Yours !

Thought it might be fun to show how audiophiles & music lovers listen to their Vivid speakers:

CA_Pure Audio_Fred Nadel.jpg
Giya G2 @ Pure Audio's wild listening room (Santa Cruz, CA)

Dubai Audio.jpg
Giya G2 & K1 in Dubai

G1 Artic.jpg

G1 Japan Stellar Inc & retailer AC2.jpg G2 Pearl K1 Artic Dubai.jpg

More to follow

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
fantastic! thanks for sharing these...i know those Zanden monos a bit...great stuff. beautiful rooms. i notice a few seem to prefer to place these speakers on isolation platforms or feet. Is that your experience as well?

fantastic! thanks for sharing these...i know those Zanden monos a bit...great stuff. beautiful rooms. i notice a few seem to prefer to place these speakers on isolation platforms or feet. Is that your experience as well?

Most of my own experience at home is with the Giya G1 and we found no sonic benefit to placing the speakers on spikes due to the reaction cancelling woofers.

However, on the smaller Giyas, it is a tight fit getting large speaker cables underneath, so I can understand that many owners opt to raise the cabinets up a little.

---------------------------------------

At Axpona next weekend, Shubyata will run the Vivid V1-5 on the Stillpoint feet, that will be interesting to the sonic benefits of their devices. Should be an audible benefit as this model does not have reaction cancelling woofers.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Great pics - thanks for sharing, I agree some outstanding rooms. Brought back some memories seeing the pair of B&W Matrix 800's in the one pic. Those G1's in the same pic really appear to have been set-up with an extreme toe in compared to any other set-ups I have seen - odd?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great pics indeed! The toe-in that DEV mentioned does seem rather severe.

Great pics - thanks for sharing, I agree some outstanding rooms. Brought back some memories seeing the pair of B&W Matrix 800's in the one pic. Those G1's in the same pic really appear to have been set-up with an extreme toe in compared to any other set-ups I have seen - odd?

I agree pretty sever toe-in, but that is what Vivid recommend in the Owner's Manual. Personally, I have always set up the Vivids with the least toe-in possible & still have a solid center image. That way we enjoy a wide sound-stage.

Reactions: sbo6

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree pretty sever toe-in, but that is what Vivid recommend in the Owner's Manual. Personally, I have always set up the Vivids with the least toe-in possible & still have a solid center image. That way we enjoy a wide sound-stage.

Why do you think that is? Seems a really odd recommendation.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've seen quite a few people recommend crossing in front of the listener- it can take out the room i guess, although that room is fully treated so a bit puzzling.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Depends how you interpret "crossing in front" - I also cross in front of the listening seat, but my definition of it has been to cross the _inner_ edges of my panels in front of me, not the center; and by that, I really mean cross the imaginary perpendicular lines to the panels at those edges (you do that by flashing a light from behind the panels). In the picture above, it looks like the interpretation is to cross the centers in front of the listener, and I don't know how well that works. If I had dynamic speakers, I would be attempting to cross in front of the listening position using the imaginary lines that run from the voice coil to the perimeter of the midrange drivers (obviously, the perimeter points closest to the center of the soundstage), though the final result would also greatly depend on tweeter output and perhaps also bass.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Didn't realize there was a high end audio store in Santa Cruz. Maybe go check it out and get snobbed.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Here is mine ....
walls are all acoustic paneling with rockwool behind , ceiling has "faux" rock panels for diffusion
Twin subs are used to bust room nodes , corner traps take care of some of the bass
I use DIRAC to deal with everything else....
The listening chair is an ergonomic Nefil chair..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,225
Ty
Here is mine ....
walls are all acoustic paneling with rockwool behind , ceiling has "faux" rock panels for diffusion
Twin subs are used to bust room nodes , corner traps take care of some of the bass
I use DIRAC to deal with everything else....
The listening chair is an ergonomic Nefil chair..

Rodney,

It looks like a fun room, what are you using for sources ? cables ?
How would you characterize the sound you are getting ?

Ciao
Philip

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Its a great room , a little on the deadish side , but its not a problem as the room sounds very natural.
I play at pretty loud levels and am a bit of a bass head , so the room is set up to contain all the energy.

I use a computer source , via a Squeezebox touch using kimber d60 spdif cables.
Currently not shown is the fact I have biamped the G1's using 2 audiolab 250w monoblocks.
Cables are nothing fancy , some yellow van den hull stuff and audioquest.. still got to look for decent stuff
I use miniDSP for the "room correction"

It is difficult to characterise the G1's sound, its almost as tho you can follow each instrument etc in the recording and it just comes out as coherent music.
The imaging and placement of instruments is amazing , Im used to it but those that arent cannot believe they can hear depth and width and can place instruments in that space without having to suspend belief..

The bass is legendary.. subs are not at all needed and in fact they do not add to the bass at all but are used to smooth room nodes
Without subs bass is -3db down at 16 hz.., you can feel the room shudder!!!
Blindingly fast transients , exceptional treble and mids and you gain insight into the artists intent whereas on other systems its not that clear

I watch audiophile and other folk who come to my place , my audiophile pals love to come round and just listen , often for hours on end , as they groove to their favourites and get totally lost in the music and its fun to see their faces.. non audiophile people comment on the clarity and the bass smacking them in the chest

Dirac room correction etc just puts the cherry on the top.
I find the G1's and devialet combo amazing and exceptional value for money in the high end scheme of things , heard many other more imposing and pricier systems and wouldnt change.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, nice room. Boy would I love to own those speakers!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Its a 6m x 8m room (lowish ceiling tho , 2.3m) , 25ft x 19ft x 7.5ft .. I could do nothing about ceiling height , there is a slab above. Ceiling is also "treated" internally , there is Rockwool in the void and an air gap..
Luckily I can play as loud as I like when I like in the house..

I listened to Grand utopias , some massive Genesis system , Avante Garde duos, trios , Gryphon Pendragon, Dali megalines , B&W 800's , Tannoy Royal Kingdoms , SFaber (Cant remeber the models , big buggers) , meridian 8000's and others , some within my price range , some not... G1`s won out for me...

Oddly enough , i went to a hotel presentation of the G1's and devialet and DCS front end and based on that , I would never have bought..however going to a pals place with G1's and devialet was another matter.. and I then bought. Was gonna go for G2's , but the price differential of the G1's was about 25% more..so went for them..
In south Africa , cos we are local , we get a decent price break over overseas buyers (no shipping etc), so actually Vivid here is a "bargain" for locals Especially if you have to import other speakers..
My system has inspired many folk to change over to Vivid and upgrade within the range..

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Over your Magico M's?

Personally, I would take the G1's over any of the Magico's that I have heard, BUT I have NOT heard the M project.

Maybe. Not that one can go by shows alone, but every time I've heard the Giyas at shows I've been mighty impressed. I can't say the same about Magicos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing