Interesting Vivid Listening Rooms (world-wide) - Show Us Yours !

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
img0114syo.jpg

e78m.jpg

These are my 1 at Lake of Como.

:)

Reactions: Casosac

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
This room is about 50 squared meters (5.5 x 9.5).
The source is a Wadia CDP (i don't have enough place for LP) and no preamplifier is used (my wife doesn' t want i put too many pieces in that room)..
In that pics i am using Halcro Dm58 but i have have tried also differents others (also tubes).
The room was not so well sounding so i had to make some treatments (like cork panel behind pictures and also behind the carpet on the wall).
Now situation is better and i can play music louder without problems i had (an enforcement on bass).
To better control the bass, in past, i often have felt that elettronics must be transistor or mosfet.
At that time, the best matching i had found , IMO, is with Swiss Phisycs (12A) and YBA Signature (4).
But of course i think this was a situation due to room as speaker themselves (listened in other room) seems to me beeing really fine and with well extension ed with natural tonal balance and dynamic. In fact actually i can also drive them with Kondo or Sàkuma (about 50 watt) and the result has no more the problems i had.
The thing that convince me to buy these speaker was that they seems to me able to reproduce in a good way a lot of kids of music nd as they have differents parameters corresponding to what i'm looking for.
Yesterday night i was in Milan to listen Monteverdi's Vespro della Beata Vergine performed in an ancient church near the Conservatorio and it was (of course not exactly the same thing) near a listening i made two weeks ago with G1 (tonight i am not at the lake so i am listening with great interest on a system i like very much with this kind of music (perhaps even more than GiYa), but this system is not able to reproduce (for example Mahler/Titan or Rock music as G1 do).
If you have not understood... don't worry, i believe my english is terrible!

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Pepe57 - There is no need to apologize for your English, it is perfectly understandable to other audiophiles! It is interesting that you have used Halcro amps in your system, since I believe that Philip used to be their US distributor. I wouldn't be surprised to see his further comments about his experience with them. Congratulations on an your excellent system; I remember dreaming about one day owning a Versa Dynamics turntable myself and you have their best version!

This room is about 50 squared meters (5.5 x 9.5).
The source is a Wadia CDP (i don't have enough place for LP) and no preamplifier is used (my wife doesn' t want i put too many pieces in that room)..
In that pics i am using Halcro Dm58 but i have have tried also differents others (also tubes).
The room was not so well sounding so i had to make some treatments (like cork panel behind pictures and also behind the carpet on the wall).
Now situation is better and i can play music louder without problems i had (an enforcement on bass).
To better control the bass, in past, i often have felt that elettronics must be transistor or mosfet.
At that time, the best matching i had found , IMO, is with Swiss Phisycs (12A) and YBA Signature (4).
But of course i think this was a situation due to room as speaker themselves (listened in other room) seems to me beeing really fine and with well extension ed with natural tonal balance and dynamic. In fact actually i can also drive them with Kondo or Sàkuma (about 50 watt) and the result has no more the problems i had.
The thing that convince me to buy these speaker was that they seems to me able to reproduce in a good way a lot of kids of music nd as they have differents parameters corresponding to what i'm looking for.
Yesterday night i was in Milan to listen Monteverdi's Vespro della Beata Vergine performed in an ancient church near the Conservatorio and it was (of course not exactly the same thing) near a listening i made two weeks ago with G1 (tonight i am not at the lake so i am listening with great interest on a system i like very much with this kind of music (perhaps even more than GiYa), but this system is not able to reproduce (for example Mahler/Titan or Rock music as G1 do).
If you have not understood... don't worry, i believe my english is terrible!

Pepe,

My first exposure to Vivid, I believe was with the K1 was when they were driven by Halcros at CES 2005, I thought they were a fantastic match. The Halros also work really well with the Wilson speakers. We showed Wilson & Halcro together for many years with great success. The Halcros have a speed that the Vivids thrive on. The remarkable purity is also v. appealing.

I always believed that a systems performance is 50% dependent on the equipment's interaction with the room. If you don't deal with the reflections & room nodes, its pointless investing large sums of money in equipment..

Thanks for sharing

Philip

Pepe57

Jan 25, 2014
Milano Italy
Pepe57 - There is no need to apologize for your English, it is perfectly understandable to other audiophiles! It is interesting that you have used Halcro amps in your system, since I believe that Philip used to be their US distributor. I wouldn't be surprised to see his further comments about his experience with them. Congratulations on an your excellent system; I remember dreaming about one day owning a Versa Dynamics turntable myself and you have their best version!

Thank you Bill, i love Versa too.

More Interesting Vivid Systems from Around The World

B1 White.jpg
Pearl White B1 with a V1h center channel

4 Giyas.jpg
Laurence Dickie with the Giya family

Trippy.jpg
This is kind of trippy... Must have been taken at the factory

G2 MBL.jpg
G2 with a full MBL stack

G1.jpg
This looks like a pretty well sorted out system !

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am almost embarrassed to chime in considering the systems shown on this thread. I just installed my G3's last night and thus am very low on the Vivid learning curve since I only have several hours of listening. They replaced ML Montis with 2 JL F-113 subs and are driven by a Spectral 260 which is driven by a BAT. Bottom line, the ML's go on Audiogon this weekend because there is already no comparison, and I love planars and have owned many, not to mention built a room custom designed for dipoles.

Although I have heard these speakers before, it was obvious within the first few seconds that there is something very special about these speakers, especially the mids, highs and bass transitions (I guess that covers the entire range). What I was not ready for is how sensitive they are to room position and one another. I am currently operating them without the JL's and just blown away by how good the bass is, although I would like the additional 10hz that I expect the JL's will provide.

I also love the better power handling without the amp shutting down. Simply incredible. I have moved to another level, but then those of you familiar with the Giya's already knew that!!!

What I do not get is how poorly designed the speaker terminals are, especially considering the design in all other aspects of the speaker. Buyer beware, you need bi-wired banana's.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am almost embarrassed to chime in considering the systems shown on this thread. I just installed my G3's last night and thus am very low on the Vivid learning curve since I only have several hours of listening. They replaced ML Montis with 2 JL F-113 subs and are driven by a Spectral 260 which is driven by a BAT. Bottom line, the ML's go on Audiogon this weekend because there is already no comparison, and I love planars and have owned many, not to mention built a room custom designed for dipoles.

Although I have heard these speakers before, it was obvious within the first few seconds that there is something very special about these speakers, especially the mids, highs and bass transitions (I guess that covers the entire range). What I was not ready for is how sensitive they are to room position and one another. I am currently operating them without the JL's and just blown away by how good the bass is, although I would like the additional 10hz that I expect the JL's will provide.

I also love the better power handling without the amp shutting down. Simply incredible. I have moved to another level, but then those of you familiar with the Giya's already knew that!!!

What I do not get is how poorly designed the speaker terminals are, especially considering the design in all other aspects of the speaker. Buyer beware, you need bi-wired banana's.

Congrats! I love those speakers! How about some photos?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Let me play over the weekend and figure out the JL placement and some tweaking of the speaker positions and then send some picts. I am now looking at swapping my MIT HD 60's with spades for a bi-wired pair with banana's or while I am on a spending streak, buy a pair of HD90's bi-wired with banana's.

What is exciting is how these speakers are so cohesive that they make you want to just sit and listen, and I barely have them figured out! These will probably take several weeks to get right since I am new to the Giya design parameters. Truly amazing speaker and my Spectral likes them much better than the ML because the impedance curve is more reasonable and does not drop to .7 ohms.

Russ,

For most owners, its really not an issue as the dealer installs the speakers and he is the one who gets to crawl around on the floor, connecting the cables into that tight space for the four cables. I can understand why the designer chose to put the speaker terminals under the cabinet and just a few inches off the floor as the connectors are right underneath the crossover.

Normally the speakers come with Van den Hul silver jumper cables; spade on one end and banana plus on the other end. Personally, I use Synergistic Research cables on the woofers and Shunyata on the mids & highs; this combination gives me Stygian bass and sweets mids & highs. I understand the MIT Oracle cables deliver terrific bass, be interesting if you could borrow a different set of cables at some stage for the mids & highs.

Tip
Try laying the speaker on its side, on to a rug or carpet and then you can connect spades or bananas as you prefer. If you are doing this solo, you might also add the spikes at this stage. While the spikes are not de rigueur, the extra height is useful for many cables - the spade connectors do not get squashed.

Have a great weekend & share with us your insights - thanks.
Philip

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Russ - congratulations on your purchase, sounds like they are wonderful! Philip in regards to the speaker cables you use, could you either post the model number you use of each or perhaps OM me with the information? I too am considering my options for bi wiring.

Thanks.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Just got back from a short stay chez Steve's and we managed to hook up with Philip for a couple of hours. The listening rooms posted in this thread are cool but Philip's gigantic space is a very unique experience. If you're looking for a realistic soundstage specially for a full orchestra there's no substitute for size. A very special experience at Philip's his concert hall and his Vivids! His outdoor tropical island complete with waterfalls and hard bodies didn't hurt either:)...

david

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let me play over the weekend and figure out the JL placement and some tweaking of the speaker positions and then send some picts. I am now looking at swapping my MIT HD 60's with spades for a bi-wired pair with banana's or while I am on a spending streak, buy a pair of HD90's bi-wired with banana's.

What is exciting is how these speakers are so cohesive that they make you want to just sit and listen, and I barely have them figured out! These will probably take several weeks to get right since I am new to the Giya design parameters. Truly amazing speaker and my Spectral likes them much better than the ML because the impedance curve is more reasonable and does not drop to .7 ohms.

Coming from someone who has listened to panels, that is quite an endorsement of their cohesive sound. Congrats! Very exciting...i am particularly intrigued to find out what happens when you set up the JLs again with them. Killer good, i hope!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
J(...) If you're looking for a realistic soundstage specially for a full orchestra there's no substitute for size. (...)
david

I fully agree on that one. A few experiences in very large rooms with high ceilings, specially with classical music, made me dream about a 25' x 40' x 14' room ...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I fully agree on that one. A few experiences in very large rooms with high ceilings, specially with classical music, made me dream about a 25' x 40' x 14' room ...

Me too!

There's nothing like a 14,000+ cubic foot room!

Actually, a room 25 x 40 x 16 gives you all three dimensions with a golden proportion.

Last edited:

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Coming from someone who has listened to panels, that is quite an endorsement of their cohesive sound. Congrats! Very exciting...i am particularly intrigued to find out what happens when you set up the JLs again with them. Killer good, i hope!

I am a new forumer who has just bought a pair of giya G3. I have also switched out from a pair of Martin Logan summits and the Giya is my first ever cone speakers. I would like to consult fellow mates on toe in and room treatment. Would diffusers be next place front or back wall? I have bass traps straddling all corners of the room.

I am a new forumer who has just bought a pair of giya G3. I have also switched out from a pair of Martin Logan summits and the Giya is my first ever cone speakers. I would like to consult fellow mates on toe in and room treatment. Would diffusers be next place front or back wall? I have bass traps straddling all corners of the room.

Welcome to the Vivid club Mr. Murphy,

We will be happy to help; why not start off by posting a photo of the room - that way we can see what you are dealing with. What electronics are you using ? How would you characterize the sound quality right now ? Is it too bright / over-damped ?

As regards toe-in, they don't need a lot, just enough to generate a sold center image.

Philip

Costviewer

Aug 4, 2015
Welcome everybody!

I believe this is my first post on this forum. And here are my brand new Vivid Audio Giyas G2. Vivid.JPG
There's something truly special about this particular pair of Vivids. I wonder who, if the photo allows, will find out what it is. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing