New member needing help

stingray13

Apr 16, 2015
I think I have made my choices for a 2 channel stereo system but would appreciate all the help you can offer
(1) Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Elipsa speakers

(2) McIntosh MCD500 Player

(3) McIntosh C2200 tube preamp

(4) McIntosh (2) 501 amp

Is this a good combination with expandability for a turntable in the future ?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Welcome to the WBF, Bill.

To get the best helpful advice, it would be good if you could let us have an idea of the size of room you are going to put this system in, whether it is a purpose-built audio room or the living room, and your taste in music.

stingray13

Apr 16, 2015
For now the living room will have to do and the size is18 ft X 20ft
As far as to my listening preferences I love classical music, instramentals especially strings and of course rock

Thanks

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In this day and age, most people are moving to audio servers instead of dedicated CD players. Have you considered that?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think that system will sound ok. However, I personally am not a big fan of SF and McIntosh. Instead perhaps listen to SF with ARC or BAT gear or for ss...Rowland.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I think I have made my choices for a 2 channel stereo system but would appreciate all the help you can offer
(1) Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Elipsa speakers

(2) McIntosh MCD500 Player

(3) McIntosh C2200 tube preamp

(4) McIntosh (2) 501 amp

Is this a good combination with expandability for a turntable in the future ?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

You can always add a TT any time to this system. I have to echo Amirm's thoughts. Rather than invest in a CD player have you considered a dedicated digital server. I recently went with a dedicated music server and since then I haven't powered up my CD player one time. Just a thought, kind of thinking out loud.

In this day and age, most people are moving to audio servers instead of dedicated CD players. Have you considered that?

You speak the truth my friend.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
The mcd 500 is an excellent digital playback system. I believe it has 4 on-board dacs, this allows the mcd 500 to be used as a stand alone dac as well and accepts usb input. I listened to this very system with a pc as the music server having the usb interface directly into the mcd500 dac, the sound was very good! Overall well balanced and quite natural.

Pop in a cd or sacd and it still sounds wonderful, I really couldn't tell what the fuss was about with all the high-res downloads etc. I understand that the high res stuff like 24/32 bit 192k sounds awfully good but then again a good recording on standard cd & sacd sounds great as well.

Perhaps stingray has a pretty expansive cd collection, therefore is naturally thinking of a dedicated cd player. In this case after listening to the mcd500 you maybe tempted...

Having said that, the New way to go would obviously be a music server, I think mac does one, can't remember the model.
mac also just released a new dedicated transport with a separate dac, maybe something to consider as well.

With regards to amplification, between tubes and ss such as Jeff Rowland designs and Arc or mac, this is a matter of taste and budgets. Stingray, you would have to actually audition various amps combinations before settling in for mc501 monoblocks. If you could stretch the budget, you may find a fine stereo amp that is capable of driving the SF Elipsa beautifully.

On the other hand the mc501's are very good. Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing