eBay Record Prices

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

I wonder what planet that the seller is from. ;)

Rich

Ork???? And what dimension are the bidders from? It doesn't seem that the bidders are shills either based on their stats.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Ork???? And what dimension are the bidders from? It doesn't seem that the bidders are shills either based on their stats.

Hi Myles,

I missed that that was the bid price. That is nuts unless this disc is so rare and in such remarkable condition. Of course for that kind of price, what turntable/cartridge/Phono Preamp and audio system are these crazies using to warrant this kind of expenditure?

Rich

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Myles, Original Deep groove Blue Notes are going for very good money. I have a friend who is paying upwards of $5000-/ month collecting just these LP's. He has nearly 30,000 LP's and cannot get enough of them! My friend buys most of his Blue Notes on ebay and rarely gets outbid if he wants a particular LP.
I have known him to easily bid the amount of your example and much more!
BTW, he listens to these on an old AR turntable and with a Grace arm and old Dyna Ruby cart. Listens only once, then records the LP to digital and stores it. And you thought us 'philes were sick b'stards:rolleyes::rolleyes:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hey! You could acquire 5 or 6 tapes with that investment :p

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Myles,

Check out www.jazzcollector.com. They do a terrific job tracking prices of vintage jazz LPs. To paraphrase Benjamin Graham, 'the price seems high; the price is high; the price is not as high as it seems'.

Makes those 45 rpm MusicMatters and Analogue Productions reissues seem like a bargain at $50 a pop.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
This is a great place to buy vinyl from, I bought that album 5 minutes ago and the site is already updated and the cool struttin lp is now moved to the out of stock section. I have bought quite a few pieces of vinyl from this site and he is very accurate on his grading of the lps, which is refreshing as a lot of you know some people really stretch it when it comes to grading lps, not this guy.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Myles, Original Deep groove Blue Notes are going for very good money. I have a friend who is paying upwards of $5000-/ month collecting just these LP's. He has nearly 30,000 LP's and cannot get enough of them! My friend buys most of his Blue Notes on ebay and rarely gets outbid if he wants a particular LP.
I have known him to easily bid the amount of your example and much more!
BTW, he listens to these on an old AR turntable and with a Grace arm and old Dyna Ruby cart. Listens only once, then records the LP to digital and stores it. And you thought us 'philes were sick b'stards:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i have a very good friend who is an ardent jazz collector and he confirms this too. i learned that the address '47 West 63rd NYC' on the label means a lot to collectors as it signifies the original 1st pressing copy. 'deep groove' also means it's more valuable than the non-grooved. so you see the seller knows something here. he makes very thorough description, in a way, drawing in the crowd, so to speak.

and how bout this...for 2 songs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-T...4015420?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item335e37503c

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i have a very good friend who is an ardent jazz collector and he confirms this too. i learned that the address '47 West 63rd NYC' on the label means a lot to collectors as it signifies the original 1st pressing copy. 'deep groove' also means it's more valuable than the non-grooved. so you see the seller knows something here. he makes very thorough description, in a way, drawing in the crowd, so to speak.

and how bout this...for 2 songs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-T...4015420?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item335e37503c

Ok knew that :) But I find that used jazz LPs are often in worse shape than classical LPs. For some reason, classical collectors took better care of their LPs. I've seen some ridiculous prices for BNs in lousy shape that I wouldn't give you a nickel for. OTOH, maybe I should keep that $100 record player around and wouldn't know the difference ;)

And as we know from the guys at MMJazz, the value and religious fervor placed on mono BNs appears to be often misplaced. (Of course we're talking about where there was a stereo edition). It seems that RVG just folded down the stereo mix to mono to make those BN monos.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ok knew that :) But I find that used jazz LPs are often in worse shape than classical LPs. For some reason, classical collectors took better care of their LPs. I've seen some ridiculous prices for BNs in lousy shape that I wouldn't give you a nickel for. OTOH, maybe I should keep that $100 record player around and wouldn't know the difference ;)

And as we know from the guys at MMJazz, the value and religious fervor placed on mono BNs appears to be often misplaced. (Of course we're talking about where there was a stereo edition). It seems that RVG just folded down the stereo mix to mono to make those BN monos.

or it could be that they didn't play the classical LPs as much ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guys, it is true that it seems harder to build a good jazz LP collection than a good classical collection. I have collected both for over 25 years and my jazz collection has far more holes in it than my classical collection. The jazz collection is generally in worse condition. I actually have several Blue Notes, including many Lexington Ave Lp's and '47 West 63rd/NYC' labels.They are typically not in the condition of my 'shaded dogs' or my 'Merc's'. However, the art work and frankly in many instances the sound of the Blue Notes is far superior IMHO. Also, I think the overall appeal to the general public is far larger and therefore the value is greater.
BTW, I believe that many of the top priced jazz albums are going to the far east, perhaps the exchange rate has something to do with that:confused:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
BTW, I believe that many of the top priced jazz albums are going to the far east, perhaps the exchange rate has something to do with that:confused:

Been like that for years :) Remember charter busses of fellows from Japan going to Princeton Record Exchange. But the same holds true for classical too. Was in the UK years ago and went to a used classical store in Brighton where the owner told me about the prices he was getting from customers in the Far East.

Much of the collectability of the jazz/classical records of that period (40-60s) is due to the Japanese inability to get these LPs immediately post WWII. As far as China goes, wasn't open to the West until recently.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing