JA Michell TT's

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Is anyone using one of these tables?

I have been looking at the JA Michell Turntable: Gyro SE w/ Rega RB300.

Any thoughts on this table.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I have a friend who owns one.Apart from the visual treat of the spinning weights under the platter, it is a very honest and well designed performer.
And if i'm not mistaken, there is an upgrade route to the big brother Orbe.
That is a real masterpiece (skip the plexi clad version).

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I was wondering if the weights were just an attention getter, or if they really did something. It is cool to watch.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had exactly that model, with the external PSU and RB300 arm. It is a fine deck and has great looks, always a conversational piece at home. I had a VdH MC10 at that time.

The brass cylinders besides the platter create additional mass that helps inertia, since the platter is a composite of vinyl according t the manufacturer, it does need some extra weight.

A9X

Oct 17, 2010
I have owned a Gyro since they first came out and was able to get rid of the junky LP12s. Terrific TT's.

Mine is the early aluminium platter, but I think I'll upgrade to the new bearing when the other projects are done and I have some spare pesos. It already has the 2 piece suspension towers and I designed and built a 2 phase motor controller many years ago for it. Currently sports a SAEC arm and as I have several spare arms and carts floating around here, I may have another armboard made for it later and put another on.

phycomp

Aug 21, 2012
My Michell Gyro SE turntable is about 3 years old now, started off with Rega RB300 arm and Denon DL-110, have now upgraded the cartridge. Beautiful sounding turntable, very delicate detail and vast stereo soundstage. Next upgrade is to add the Orbe platter upgrade kit!
michellgyrose.jpg

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I spent three years with the Gyro SE and SME V arm. I have not heard or used anything in the price range I liked as much. Big airy soundstage, very reliable. Paired with either Lyra i used with it, (Delos & Kleos) always enjoyable.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
buddy has a gyro for 20years with a rega arm , he just upgraded the arm.
drop in replacement is a audiomod ( modified rega ) or the the funk firm tonearms

gryo still a great looking deck , one in bruce willis looper movie set 30years in the future

if you have a gyro , looks even better on a asu-100
wall shelf from audio suspension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIm1WMOslu0

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
I agree with the general tone of this thread.First-class company with great integrity...they will still service the classic old Transcriptor. And you can indeed upgrade to Orbe level. I know Michell especially like the SME arms.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have had an Orbe with a SME V for the last 14 years. It left the house last Sunday as my new turntable is due to arrive soon.

The Orbe is a great turntable at a reasonable price. It does a good job but it is a little too mellow and sometimes lacks precision. Don't get me wrong as I truly believe that it is difficult to find a contender at the same price point (European price). Setting the suspension right is somewhat tricky.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing