Lampi B7 and Turntables

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This thread is for Lampi B7 fans, wanted to know if you had/have a Turntable, or have compared the Big 7 to a TT (where you are also a seasoned TT fan), and if so, what were your observations, and which TT was it that you compared it to?

Thanks

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Nice thread. I'd be interest in such comparisons, as a B7 owner.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I sold all my system last year. My small room was not allowing me to have what I wanted.
Now I will use my living room, with plenty of area but less privacy.
I got the B7 and an Aurender, that's all I have now. Waiting until the end of April for the Audiopax Maggiore M50 and L50 and just ordered a pair of Tidal Contriva G2.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I guess the Lampi crowd does not do the dual ownership thing. I have a GG but I still want to experiment with tables when the time is right. My paternal grandmother was a classically trained pianist and had a fairly sizable vinyl collection which I will be inheriting soon from my Dad. I want to spin vinyl in honor of her.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I guess the Lampi crowd does not do the dual ownership thing. I have a GG but I still want to experiment with tables when the time is right. My paternal grandmother was a classically trained pianist and had a fairly sizable vinyl collection which I will be inheriting soon from my Dad. I want to spin vinyl in honor of her.

Well some of Lampi crowd do. Digital nowadays is really very good but believe me good vinyl reply is ... well very, very special. Get a good turntable, arm and cartridge and you will find out how fantastic those old records will sound.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well some of Lampi crowd do. Digital nowadays is really very good but believe me good vinyl reply is ... well very, very special. Get a good turntable, arm and cartridge and you will find out how fantastic those old records will sound.

Ha! I was speaking in generalities, but you, Audiocrack, are an outlier in more ways than one...;) Have you been following the Audioexotics feedback on their recent show? Lunatic fringe audio. Love it.

Yes, I am morally obligated to get a good TT as much of my love of music comes from her. My dad spend his some of his formative years as a teen in Geneva (his father was with the WHO) and they attended the symphony there constantly. Much of her vinyl collection was derived from those years. Based on Miguel's feedback, I am looking at the Triangle stuff....

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I sold all my system last year. My small room was not allowing me to have what I wanted.
Now I will use my living room, with plenty of area but less privacy.
I got the B7 and an Aurender, that's all I have now. Waiting until the end of April for the Audiopax Maggiore M50 and L50 and just ordered a pair of Tidal Contriva G2.

Jaoviera, is your system completed? How is the Aurender?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Ha! I was speaking in generalities, but you, Audiocrack, are an outlier in more ways than one...;) Have you been following the Audioexotics feedback on their recent show? Lunatic fringe audio. Love it.

Yes, I am morally obligated to get a good TT as much of my love of music comes from her. My dad spend his some of his formative years as a teen in Geneva (his father was with the WHO) and they attended the symphony there constantly. Much of her vinyl collection was derived from those years. Based on Miguel's feedback, I am looking at the Triangle stuff....

So did he have a chance to listen to the (Geneva based) conductor Ansermet? Some of his Decca sxl recordings are pretty amazing. As regards the AE show, don't you think there might be some hype involved?

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So did he had a chance to listen to the (Geneva based) conductor Ansermet? Some of his Decca sxl recordings are pretty amazing. As regards the AE show, don't you think there might be some hype involved?

I am not sure. I will have to ask. What's wrong with hype or adverbials? ;)

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
"Well some of Lampi crowd do."

Audiocrack,
I am one of them. My TT is not SOTA but is a fairly good one with SME V series tonearm adjusted by Transrotor and Phase Tech P3G cartrigde which was considered in Japan as one of the best regardless the price . My phono stage is Tom Evans Groove + mk2 with the separate power supply. I use also Acoustic Revive demagnatizer for vinyls and Acoustic Revive anti vibration clamp . I have also a VPI cleaning machine and antivibration platform for my TT, just to present my analog setup in details.
As I started my hifi road with turntable I have vinyl collection since 70' and some modern high quality pressings but I buy vinyl only on very rare occasions.
Why? Because I consider the convenience and the SQ of my digital setup to be better than analog part. I hate clicks and pops , I like the analog for its coherence but I miss resolution and dynamics of hirez and native dsd . Plus of course convenience to browse the collection with Ipad and outsanding quality of DSD classical music by such brands like channelclasscis or Fone who use for recording analog microphones. I have heard some SOTA TT during shows in Munich and Warsaw but I do not find them better than best digital, just different.
I play PCM mainly with La Fontaine DAC and DSD files with Lampi Big 7 , both fed by Aurender W20.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Audiocrack,
I am one of them. My TT is not SOTA one but is a fairly good with SME V series tonearm adjusted by Transrotor and Phase Tech P3G cartrigde which was considered in Japan as one of the best regardless the price . My phono stage is Tom Evans Groove + mk2 with the separate power supply. I use also Acoustic Revive demagnatizer for vinyls and Acoustic Revive anti vibration clamp . I have also a VPI cleanning machine and antivabration platform for my TT, just to present my analog setup in details.
As I started my hifi road with turntable I have vinyl collection since 70' and some modern high quality pressings but I buy vinyl only on very rare occasions.
Why? Because I consider the convenience and the SQ of my digital setup to be better than analog part. I hate clicks and pops , I like the analog for its coherence but I miss resolution and dynamics of hirez and native dsd . Plus of course convenience to browse the collection with Ipad and outsanding quality of DSD classical music by such brands like channelclasscis or Fone who use for recording analog microphones. I have heard some SOTA TT during shows in Munich and Warsaw but I do not find them better than best digital, just different.
I play PCM mainly with La Fontaine DAC and DSD files with Lampi Big 7 , both fed by Aurender W20.

Hi Marslo,

Totally agree with you on the convience point. And I love high res files such as those of Channel Classics (have not heard Fone files so far). However, to my ears vinyl beats digital reply in aspects as purity, fluency and dynamics. But surely no reason at all not to fully enjoy digital/high res music reproduction.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Audiocrack,
I am one of them. My TT is not SOTA but is a fairly good one with SME V series tonearm adjusted by Transrotor and Phase Tech P3G cartrigde which was considered in Japan as one of the best regardless the price . My phono stage is Tom Evans Groove + mk2 with the separate power supply. I use also Acoustic Revive demagnatizer for vinyls and Acoustic Revive anti vibration clamp . I have also a VPI cleaning machine and antivibration platform for my TT, just to present my analog setup in details.

Nice system. So Lampi PCM not up to snuff?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Jaoviera, is your system completed? How is the Aurender?

Yes, my system is completed. I am still using the Tidal Piano Cera speakers, my Contriva G2 didn't arrive yet.
Tomorrow I will receive the last cables, Schnerzinger speaker and IC cables and two pairs of Cleaners.
The Aurender is an amazing streamer. I compared it with a MacBook Pro and there is a large distance between them.
I am very happy with Aurender and Big7.
The Audiopax Maggiore L50 (pre) and M50 (50W Pure class A1 monos) are very special. If any of you have a chance to audition this brand in US or Monaco I think you will be surprised with such a natural and involving system.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nice system. So Lampi PCM not up to snuff?

Thank you Geardaddy.
Well, I have La Fontaine already for few years and spent many hours on "fine tunning" especially of the timbral aspects of the sound. Now I am happy with micro and macrodynamics and the balance between resolution and timbre. Altough PCM from Lampi seems to be very good, the attack of notes is a bit softened and the timbre is less organic compared to La Fontaine. I guess that is the limitation of the amanero board in Lampi design. On the other hand the PCM from lampi is more lifelike , probably due to very good power supply and the possibility to switch off the power in usb on aurender side when connected with B7.
I would give 10 points for DSD from Lampi, , 9 to PCM from La Fontaine and 8-8,5 to PCM from Lampi but it has potential and tube rolling may change that in the future. I will give my analog setup 6-9 points depending on quality of recording and 6-8 points for cd/sacd playback from La Fontaine as player. Of course as always , it's a matter of personal preferences.

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Thank you Geardaddy.
Well, I have La Fontaine already for few years and spent many hours on "fine tunning" especially of the timbral aspects of the sound. Now I am happy with micro and macrodynamics and the balance between resolution and timbre. Altough PCM from Lampi seems to be very good, the attack of notes is a bit softened and the timbre is less organic compared to La Fontaine. I guess that is the limitation of the amanero board in Lampi design. On the other hand the PCM from lampi is more lifelike , probably due to very good power supply and the possibility to switch off the power in usb on aurender side when connected with B7.
I would give 10 points for DSD from Lampi, , 9 to PCM from La Fontaine and 8-8,5 to PCM from Lampi but it has potential and tube rolling may change that in the future. I will give my analog setup 6-9 points depending on quality of recording and 6-8 points for cd/sacd playback from La Fontaine as player. Of course as always , it's a matter of personal preferences.

interesting. What tubes have u used in the Lampi?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marslo,

Totally agree with you on the convience point. And I love high res files such as those of Channel Classics (have not heard Fone files so far). However, to my ears vinyl beats digital reply in aspects as purity, fluency and dynamics. But surely no reason at all not to fully enjoy digital/high res music reproduction.

I love the Mahler 2, Ivan Fischer, from Channel Classics. Is there any LP that matches or betters that?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing