The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Great info to know!

BTW...how does that even happen?

They had to fit two albums in 1 CD, and when the entire thing won't fit, they just drop one or more songs. It actually used to be fairly common (unfortunately).

Just checked Discogs, and there are other reissues on CD now, in individual CDs. This is the one to avoid:

Marks/Mountain Queen

Unfortunately, Esoteric as a reissue label is pretty hit and miss as well, so maybe our "lasercd" expert, Ken, will remember if those reissues are any better than the old 90s one...

cheers,
alex

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sorry I meant to post that I found it on Facebook.
Sucks no west coast events. Last I saw them would have been 96ish at The Strand in Redondo Beach, now closed for good

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
They had to fit two albums in 1 CD, and when the entire thing won't fit, they just drop one or more songs. It actually used to be fairly common (unfortunately).

Just checked Discogs, and there are other reissues on CD now, in individual CDs. This is the one to avoid:

Marks/Mountain Queen

Unfortunately, Esoteric as a reissue label is pretty hit and miss as well, so maybe our "lasercd" expert, Ken, will remember if those reissues are any better than the old 90s one...

cheers,
alex

I was able to find and download some tracks from the Esoteric issues to compare to this "two-fer" CD which I have. The single CD costs less than either of the separate Esoteric CD's, has marginally better sound, and is only missing one track from the original LP (the aforementioned Mr. Barnum's Junior's...). So I would certainly disagree that the single CD is "one to avoid", although a completist would probably want the Esoteric re-issues.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

Marks/Mountain Queen

cheers,
alex

I haven't listened to the Esoteric reissues (but we sell them!). In general I think Esoteric's mastering is mediocre at best. Typically I find their remasters to not be as good as previous versions.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Esoteric's releases (remasterings) are unpredictable; occasionally, as with the first two Procol Harum albums (but strangely not with the next two), they do everything right, and I have this feeling there have been a few others like that which don't come immediately to mind. More often, though, they are typical modern compressed and often hard peak-limited masterings. The Alquin tracks I sampled aren't like that, fortunately, but they don't offer any improvement over earlier CD releases.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
5632db57.jpg

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Still an all-time favorite here at Skylab.

The Deacon

Nov 16, 2018
KAYAK was mentioned.

Most every prog reunion band cd is inferior to the 70s origional input. (For instance there has been a flood of Italian prog reunions and most are on the mediocre side.)

But the Dutch band, KAYAK "17" is an exception. Their "Nostradamus" 2cd of a whiles back was not too shabby , but this "17" cd could possibly be their best.

The Deacon

Nov 16, 2018
Another Italian prog monster is IL Rovescio Della Medaglia - "Contaminazione" from 1973. I have never heard a better union of rock & classical. This blew my teenage mind when I first heard it on a local Toronto FM station back in 1974.

View attachment 26180
This is the creme de la creamer of Ital prog. You will cream yer pants.

I have a trade copy of the English version (with different coverart.)

Last edited:

The Deacon

Nov 16, 2018
John at PCV is a good guy. (Remembers my name everytime even though I never actually paid cash for anything there (got credit for lotta common lps)

Was there the other day. Didn't find much but in the small prog section I got Stomu Yamashta's best lp, "Man From the East "soundtrack (with Gary Boyle and morris Pert of brand X). UK orig press priced at $6.50.

Rarest lp I ever found there is Dando Shaft - same orig UK on Youngblood.

You might want to try Records On Wheels in Dundas, Ontario. he just got a shitload of classical cds from a collector who passed on. Also about 1000 rock/pop.

And Black Duck Records in Burlington: if you were there 6 months ago you would have got some super vinyl crack: my friend had to offload good lps so as to pay the rent.

Rics Recollections is good for eye-candy but, like you say, unaffordable. (Is the Appletree Theatre "Playback" lp still languishing there? The Deacon needs it!)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Rics Recollections is good for eye-candy but, like you say, unaffordable. (Is the Appletree Theatre "Playback" lp still languishing there? The Deacon needs it!)

Unaffordable? You do know you're posting on the WBF, right? Haha! But you're not wrong! Ric is more expensive, but all of his stock is play-graded and he imports stuff you'd be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. When I lived in Oakville ( I left for Calgary 4 years ago after 30 years) Ric was my primary dealer. He's extremely knowledgeable, very personable and as a regular customer I was able to negotiate pricing on many of my purchases. But maybe more importantly is his dedication and commitment towards the Port Credit Business Association and the charities he supports. He wants to build a better community and for that he has my utmost respect and continued support.

Last edited:

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Marillion~Marbles (3-LP)
Madfish SMALP1086 (2017)
Mastered at Super Audio Mastering/Optimal Media pressing
Mixed at The Racket Club

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018

Reactions: Skylab

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Porcupine Tree~The Sky Moves Sideways
KSCOPE 949 (2017)
Mixed, Remastered by Steven Wilson
Optimal Media GmbH pressing

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Dream Theater~Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Music On Vinyl MOVLP781 (2013)
George Marino mastering/RI pressing

Reactions: Skylab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing