How can you tell who makes the tube if it's unmarked?

caesar

May 30, 2010
My VTL MB-750 has some unmarked 6550 (or possibly KT88) tubes. I have tried to pull them out, but I don't see any letters. Is there a way to tell who makes it? I really like the sound of them.

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Can you post some pictures of the side and bottom of the tube?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are folks over at AK that can tell a tube just by looking at it. They can even date it. Tube collectors ought to have there own name if they don't have one already.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I will take a picture when I get a breather from my work load. What's "AK"?

An aside question: how hard can I yank on the tube to pull it out? Is there an easy way to pry it out?

Thank you

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Sometimes you have to do a tiny bit of rocking to get it to move.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Grab at the base, not the glass, and gently rock it out. Some have a little hold-down clip so be sure to press that down if needed. In very stubborn cases I have used contact cleaner and let it soak a bit them tried again. Make sure the amp is perfectly cool before spraying!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies. I feel a bit dumb. I moved the amp away from the wall to get more leverage to "rock out" the tube. I shined the flash light on the tube, and I saw faint gray print on the tube next. (I was not able to see the markings before as the tubes are fairly close together.)

The tube says:
Svetlana Electron
6550 C
Made in Russia

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thank You

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Now that you know what they are, and how to get them out,............. It's Tube Rolling Time!!! Now the fun begins.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Now that you know what they are, and how to get them out,............. It's Tube Rolling Time!!! Now the fun begins.

Yes, it does. Don't have much experience with this, and it does sound like an expensive proposition with all of the tubes the amp needs. I do like the sound of the amps now, so I am a bit worried about shelling out the $,$$$ and then not liking the sound.

Is there a way to tell how much life the tubes have on them, or is it just wait and see? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
they are the usual Svetlana 6550C output tubes which many manufacturers use

they can be substituted with KT88's which have somewhat less bass than the 6550C but have a much better midrange

Thanks. The VTL Ref 750 is the only tube amp I have heard so far that does a great job with the bass in setting a great foundation and has fast transients. This is exactly why I am hesitant to drop a grand on tubes that I may not like...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Depending on the age of the tubes, they may or may not be "real" Svetlana 6550s. Like many crazy things that happen in this wacky hobby, the real Svetlana company lost the right to their name and their tubes now say SED. They are also commonly known by their "winged C" insignia that graces all of their output tubes. Newer production tubes that are sold as Svetlana are actually made by Sovtek. My point in all of this is that if your tubes are old enough, they might be real Svetlana tubes before they were forced to change their name and if you buy new production "Svetlana" 6550c tubes you may be getting an entirely different 6550 than you thought you were buying. Take a close look at your 6550 tubes and see if you see the winged "C" insignia.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks. They definitely do not say "winged C". The metal inside the glass looks old and has spots. The amps sound orgasmic, however.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing