Dark Field SS vs Dark Field DFE v2

number95

May 14, 2014
I have been using DFE v2 under speaker cables for a while (6 each) and compared to my previous DIY wood elevators, my assessment was to prefer DFE v2 due to higher resolution of mids and highs, blacker backgrounds while I had some reservations (gradual softening some of dynamics and mid tones, enhancing of upper frequencies while lacking strength in bass). I was never impressed with their build quality and design which their light weight was not the best to use over thick carpet etc. Then came DF-SS which my dealer sent me two boxes to try. First I am surprised to see the new ones are significantly heavier as their based filled with a material which I suppose something anti static. Second unlike the previous ones which are packed 6 per box, the new ones are presented as 3 per box and costlier. DF-SS has its own antistatic band over the V shaped edges so unlike the previous version which cables were lying over the lower end of the V shaped box hence in full contact with the elevator box, the new system keeps the cable over its band which decouples it from the rest of the elevator. Ok now let me come to the most important topic, the performance or contribution to the sound. First, I am surprised to hear much more energy restored to the music/signal similar like you increase the volume. The presentation is full of energy, has body and punch compared to previous version which lacks that vividness. Second, tonality is neutral, so DF-SS has no color, it is just transparent and has no effect over tonal balance, while DFE v2 acts like softer and a bit brighter. Third, these are trickier in terms of placement under cables. I have tried 3 of them each under speaker cables and then tried 5 each (got more from dealer to try), interestingly with 5 the sound was better. I kept on this experiment for 2 weeks in order to be sure my hearing is consistent. I wonder if DF-SS is more sensitive to weight per elevator (ie more weight increasing vibration, distortion etc) and/or even slightly lowering of cables between two elevators (ie the longer the distance between elevators the more cables bend lower between) creating some issues. Overall I am amazed with the performance of DF-SS which improves the quality of the signal while not shifting tonal balance. The impact should be felt greater when the audio chain is capable of higher resolution. My system performs more neutral and dynamic, which overall is closer to live music after DF-SS. Definitely worth trying.

Last edited:

RadioWonder

Jun 22, 2015
I have 16 of the Dark Field DFE v2 and 24 of the Dark Field Mini's... I was ready to purchase 24 more Dark Field DFE v2 cable elevators when I found the price for the new model was out of my budget... :(

So I modded my Dark Field DFE v2 with two strips of NVX Butyl Rubber damping material... It made them dead quiet and lowered the noise floor with an all around sonic improvement...:D

Dark Field DFE v2-NVX- Butyl Rubber.jpg

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
Update: I tried DF-SS with power cords for my power amps and can say the difference (ie cord is partially having contact with floor vs no contact due to 3 DF-SS each holding the power cords) is nothing short of dramatic. I am surprised as I have thought power cords have better insulation and are less prone to floor vibration or impacts compared to speaker cables. Finally I tried DF-SS between Triton and its power cord via main supply and the impact is at least as similar or greater to DF-SS under cords of power amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That microvibrations have a negative impact on audio quality can be shown when a signal is amplified. I read of an experiment where a microphone cable is attached to recording equipment but not to a microphone. The cable is dropped onto the floor; while the impact barely jostles the wire's electrons, it did so enough that the capacitance changes. When the recording of the dropped cable is amplified a signal is revealed. My (limited) understanding is that current itself can cause microvibrations that can alter a signal. I'd be curious if Shunyata has any feedback from studios using their cable holders on the recording end of things.

As far as I know it is a known effect called triboelectricity, not a change of capacitance. People measuring small biopotentials or using electrometers know about it. From a Keithley manual :

Typical test cables can
generate as much as tens of nanoamps of current as a result of the triboelectric effect. This
occurs when the outer shield of a coaxial test cable rubs against the cable’s insulation when the
cable is flexed. As a result, electrons are stripped from the insulation, and added to the current
total. In some applications, such as nanotechnology and semiconductor research, the current
generated by this effect may exceed the level of current to be measured from the DUT.
The triboelectric effect can be minimized by using low-noise cable, with an inner insulator
of polyethylene coated with graphite underneath the outer shield. (...)
The test setup should be isolated from vibration to minimize
unwanted movement of the test cables, by positioning test cables on top of vibration-absorbing
material, such as foam rubber

The commonly known piezoelectric effect must also be considered in cable noise:

The piezoelectric effect is another source of measurement error in low-current
measurements, current generated by mechanical stress on susceptible materials. The effect
varies by material although some materials commonly used in electronic systems, such as
polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) dielectrics, can produce a relatively large amount of current
for a given amount of stress and vibration

We must also consider that mechanically induced distortions and noise are time delayed.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Too bad there's no Shunyata distributor where I live. I'd love to test the new ones... I guess I'll have to buy them without any prior test! :(

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I have not had a power cord - or speaker cable - touch the floor at all since 1991, after Enid Lumley of TAS proclaimed that removing cables and cords off the floor amounted to a significant improvement in the musical experience. At that time, I used CD jewel boxes, or the edges of books.

I demonstrated this, quite unintentionally, at a dinner at the former publisher of Fi's house, back in 1994, when we were listening to his system, and I heard an edginess on Elvis' voice on several cuts and looked at the floor. I noticed a power cord was lying across a speaker cable and I asked if I could use a book to move the power cord off the speaker cable (this was before we even recognized power cables' power (no pun intended). ( I know they must have thought I was daft, but I didn't care. It's not as though I wouldn't learn something by doing it) so, I lifted the stock cord off the speaker cable, stood the book on its end and placed the (generic) stock power cord on top of the book so it was elevated by around 10" (it was a BIG book!) and that, obviously, kept it from touching the speaker cable and we replayed an Elvis cut on the Grand Slamms and Rockport turntable/Jadis JA-80 preamp, and there was a collective gasp from the group,which included Tom Miiler, Richard Brown, Larry Kay, Sallie Reynolds and a few other illuminati. Sallie asked what i'd done and I just regurgitated Enid Lumley's proclamation and said I'd always kept everything off the floor. It was quite noticeable.
I'll use Music Direct's 60-day try out policy to see how the new footers compare to the 36 DFE 2s I already have. I'm sure it'll be enlightening. It usually is. But given that its a vibration issue, why wouldn't filling the DFE2s with sand have a similar effect on vibration, although not to the degree of sophistication of Caelin's device, since he has an elastometer across the bridge of the device and that would provide minimum contact with the interconnect/speaker cable/power cord. I think I'll try it in the morning.
For now, I always have my power cords sitting on DFE 2s. And then I have a Shakti online wafer on top of the cable (and i have it on the Nordost interconnects, too, and I can always tell when it's fallen off. I have them on the speaker cable as well, and its fascinating how moving them an inch in one direction or the other affects the sonics. But then, I've played with the placement of the DFE 2s, and their is unquestionably a difference in sonics when you moved them underneath the speaker cable (Shunyata's speaker cable, of course). Surprised the hell out of me, so suddenly, after reading that number95 found 5 better than 3, I would opine that 6 works better on an 2 meter length of speaker cable. I didn't think it was 'just me', but I hadn't seen anyone, before this post, mention that more elevators improved the sound, although that certainly was my experience. I don't think ANY of the cords like to slump, so I keep the cables completely straight without allowing any dips in between elevators. It's rather an easy effect to hear, even given I'm using Hegel, NAD and Parasound integrateds. I'd have thought this would be a given that cords shouldn't be bent or twisted. Another of Enid Lumley's proclamations, along with not having the cable rest on the shelf, either. I usually suspend mine with twine and a nail in the wall so nothing touches anything. The walls look strange, but then they're ASC wall damped, so I don't give a fig. I spent that much money on damping the room, I'm not gonna worry about a nail in the drywall and some string tied around the interconnects. 'Sides, I have a dedicated music room and you wouldn't believe the experiments I've subjected it to. Was just thinking tonight, "I'll have to get some spackle and fill up all those nail holes where I put other manufacturer's damping materials (I like to experiment). Even the ceiling wasn't spared! But in all seriousness, putting elevators every two feet and keeping the speaker cable level does affect the sound, positively speaking.

Last edited:

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Too bad there's no Shunyata distributor where I live. I'd love to test the new ones... I guess I'll have to buy them without any prior test! :(
Music Direct had a 30-day return policy on most items (excluding cartridges). They also do not charge a restocking fee. Many's the time I've returned items to them - much to their dismay - because I simply wasn't getting the level of performance commensurate with the price. Nonetheless, I just looked at their site and it's now 60 days. If it doesn't work, send it back. You're only out shipping costs!

Vhiner

Nov 10, 2013
To be honest, when I installed my DF elevators several years ago, the result was pretty much on par with most tweaks: not bad, but I'd probably not be too disturbed if they were removed in the middle of the night. ;-) The DF-SS v2 was another matter. My healthy skepticism was in full force when I installed by first set on speaker cables alone, so the resulting improvement in detail, blacker background and more natural transients were stunning. As I added the DF-SS v2s to my power cords and then a few more to the speaker cables, I got the proverbial "what'd you do" from my music-loving wife. I was a skeptic on this aspect of vibration control, but the DF-SS v2 is the real deal and now you'd have to pry them from my cold hard-wood floors. :D Best tweak in years.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
To be honest, when I installed my DF elevators several years ago, the result was pretty much on par with most tweaks: not bad, but I'd probably not be too disturbed if they were removed in the middle of the night. ;-) The DF-SS v2 was another matter. My healthy skepticism was in full force when I installed by first set on speaker cables alone, so the resulting improvement in detail, blacker background and more natural transients were stunning. As I added the DF-SS v2s to my power cords and then a few more to the speaker cables, I got the proverbial "what'd you do" from my music-loving wife. I was a skeptic on this aspect of vibration control, but the DF-SS v2 is the real deal and now you'd have to pry them from my cold hard-wood floors. :D Best tweak in years.
Completely agree. I have had the 1st gen Shunyata DFS for over 6 years primarily for the speaker cables. Earlier today I inserted the new DFS on the right channel speaker cable doing a A/B comparison between the L/R channels using the balance feature on the remote of the CJ GAT. The difference is not subtle it's pretty dramatic. Higher gain, clarity and definition. This is a no brainer. Next stop a few DFSS v2s under the power cables. Highly recommended

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Are there any other users? More comments?

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Wondering if putting rubber bands across the gap of the DFS would do anything like the band on the new models?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing