Lampi Lite 7 Anybody compared with the Big 7?

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
I think it could be interesting how big is the difference between both Dacs. Same Tubes of course.

best

Josef

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it could be interesting how big is the difference between both Dacs. Same Tubes of course.

best

Josef

I wouldn't try to save money here, just go with the Big 7. Heard from a reliable source the Lite wasn't as good, it is for those who want tube rolling fun at a lower price. I tried various ways to not upgrade from the L5, even was unhappy for a while when I finally upgraded to the Big 7 wondering if I should have auditioned more before buying (I am a slow buyer, like to be sure). And now I just keep getting happier realizing how good a deal it was, I find it better than any other source I have heard regardless of price. Maybe the GG is better, but it's a big jump in price, while the Big 7 is beating everything else on it's own. So, my opinion, fwiw, is that trying to save by buying a lower level Lampi is false economy, as you will sooner or later upgrade anyway, especially if you are into complex music like orchestral where the distance between the Big 7 and it's lower levels or other dacs widens tremendously.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
What's retail on the GG ,any idea ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's retail on the GG ,any idea ?

14000 eur plus vat. My point is, and while others may disagree, is that premium on GG will be paid only to beat the big 7, and big 7 is sufficient to beat everything else, including uber priced dacs.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
14000 eur plus vat. My point is, and while others may disagree, is that premium on GG will be paid only to beat the big 7, and big 7 is sufficient to beat everything else, including uber priced dacs.
Thanks , have you been able to compare the two . Does the Big7 allow one to run a 300b tube?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks , have you been able to compare the two . Does the Big7 allow one to run a 300b tube?

No, haven't compared. Both B7 and GG can run 300B, 101d, VT52 and 45s, and 6A3s. Wisnon probably might know more. Even the rectifier valve can be rolled.

The best are considered to be the Western Electric 101Ds, which can cost up to $2000/pair, and many use the Psvane replicas of the WE 101Ds which are available at much lower. What I have used in my comparisons with other dacs are the Psvane replicas. It is good to know that one day when I buy the original WE my quality can further shoot through the roof.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Just curious

Diminishing Returns - at what point?
Experiment for people with available equipment in the same room:
Compare a Lampizator GG or B7 connected to top of the line SS equipment [preamp & amps].
>to<
Top of the line non-tube DAC connected to an extremely nice sounding tube set-up [preamp & amps].
The experiment would be through the same speakers that would work well with both set-ups.

Just curious - I have no answers and/or opinions for the above & no axes to sharpen [my kitchen knives are kept at razor:)].
zz.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

The Big 7 is pretty amazing sonically. I'm looking forward to hearing a GG someday. I have a feeling that your decision to stay with the Big 7 may be the winning approach. We will see. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing