Stop Worrying if You are Overweight -

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
An article in yesterday's Independent by Dr Malcolm Kendrick, a GP and medical researcher, from his book "Doctoring Data:How to Sort Out Medical Advice from Medical Nonsense (Columbus) comprehensively debunks the prevailing norm that being overweight is bad for your health.
He defines overweight as having a BMI of between 25 and 30 and cites Wikipedia on the dangers of being overweight. It states that"The generally accepted view is that being overweight causes similar health problems to obesity, but to a lesser degree. Adams et al estimated that the risk of death increases by 20 to 40 per cent among overweight people, and the Framingham heart study found that overweight at age 40 reduced life expectancy by three years."
Similarly journals such as the Journal of the American Medical Association had the following headline "Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight and obesity" which suggests overweight is bad for you. If you look more closely at the paper you can find these words "Overweight was not associated with excess mortality." Perhaps more extraordinarily what the researchers actually found was that those who were overweight lived the longest; they lived longer than those of normal weight.
Another study done in Canada in 2010 concluded "Our results are similar to those from other studies,confirming that underweight and obesity class II+ (BMI + 35 are clear risk factors for mortality, and showing that when compared to the acceptable BMI category, overweight appears to be protective of mortality" He comments that he loves the way they couldn't bring themselves to say "normal" BMI.
He also cites a 2009 German study by a group which did a painstaking meta analysis of all studies on overweight and obesity that they could find. He says that as with most other researchers. they found that being overweight was good for you. They did not phrase it that way and said "the prevailing notion that overweight increases morbitidy and mortality, as compared to so called normal weight, is in need of further specification."
As for those with a BMI of more than 30, those who are truly obese,he says the health danger are greatly over estimated because of what is called clumping whereby the obese category covers everybody with a BMI in excess of 30 including those with a BMI of 50,. Thus it tells you absolutely nothing about the health problems of a BMI of 31. He also says that other studies where obesity was sub divided those with a BMI between 30 and 35 lived longer than those of normal weight.
Just to conclude by saying I have absolutely no vested interest in this as I have never had any weight problems, but I hope others will find this as interesting as I did and perhaps of comfort to some.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In every way

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
+1

I would add this is an oversize pile of bovine manure ...

Well Ack and Frantz I find the evidence and reasoned arguments cited in the article more persuasive than your unsubstantiated responses to the contrary which make a zero contribution any understanding of the issues.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Here's my take. I know nothing of the medical field. I don't wish to know (unless it is for my immediate household's benefit). What I do know is common sense. Those that are in shape (slim) outlast those who are obese (portly). End of story, that's all I have.

Given that, without doctors to tell me what's right or what's wrong? In this case, I'll side with the majority.

Tom

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There is one study that indicates there is a 100% chance you will die no matter what you weigh.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well Ack and Frantz I find the evidence and reasoned arguments cited in the article more persuasive than your unsubstantiated responses to the contrary which make a zero contribution any understanding of the issues.

Good for you. I spend little time discussing perceived and fairly obvious nonsense, hence my terse response.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
All of us have a genetic predisposition to one thing or another. During my professional career I have looked after the thinnest of patients with poor health as well as markedly obese patients in apparent good health. Having said that however metabolic obesity (overweight or call it what you want) brings with it all sorts of health issues that pose problems to long standing good health. To name but a few
1. Metabolic syndrome
2. Hyertension
3. Diabetes
4. Heart Attack
5. Stroke
6. Arthritis (for every pound of weight gained, there is inequivalent of an extra 4 pounds at the knee joints)

etc, etc, etc

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's important to add 'risk of cancer' to Steve's list of serious diseases. To give ONE example of such a common - and unfortunately, deadly - disease, I hope people will care to read the following articles regarding breast cancer risk related to weight: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/e...7/05/weight-gain-during-cancer-treatment.aspx and http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/OverweightWeightGain.html

Both links, and so many more like them that are based on decades-long research, basically say the same thing:

Managing weight is a challenge for most people in the US. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 69% of American adults are overweight.
This puts them at higher risk for serious conditions including diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer. For women, being overweight or obese after menopause increases the risk of breast cancer.

Both articles are easy to read...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
You can find a 'doctor' that will support anything. A current example are those who say vaccines are dangerous and not necessary. A previous example were those who supported smoking.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The obesity rate of people over 65 is about 10% lower (about 25%) than in the age group 45-64 (about 35%). If there was a obesity rate statistic for people over 80 it would be much lower still. This simply means obese people die younger. You just don't see people over 85 that are obese. This is really all the science / statistics I need.

http://stateofobesity.org/obesity-by-age/

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The obesity rate of people over 65 is about 10% lower (about 25%) than in the age group 45-64 (about 35%). If there was a obesity rate statistic for people over 80 it would be much lower still. This simply means obese people die younger. You just don't see people over 85 that are obese. This is really all the science / statistics I need.

Point well made Erik

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

Everything you say is correct.
I would like to add something.
Once you hit 85 you are withering away [definition: the action of becoming dry and shriveled].
Unfortunately nothing works the same / nothing works smoothly.
You could have a fabulous AAAAAAAA+++++ banquet put in front of you; if you ate a lot, you would suffer.
zz [not suffering yet].

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Point well made Erik

The issue that is being evaded or ignored in the recent posts is the definition of obesity. Nobody that I am aware of has any doubts about the dangers of obesity. What the article I summarised did was to distinguish between overweight defined as a BMI of low thirties and obesity with substantially higher BMIs.The current orthodoxy of obesity appears from the research cited to have continually conflated being overweight with obesity.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
As an aside, just returned from a week in Barcelona and a brief stay in the countryside north of there -- don't recall seeing a single obese person and very very few even over-weight people. Life expectancy there is a couple years higher than the U.S.

This seems a pretty silly topic in that it refutes most data and common sense -- I think we're born knowing that carrying too much weight for our frame, sullying the waters we drink from, etc is not good.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The issue that is being evaded or ignored in the recent posts is the definition of obesity. Nobody that I am aware of has any doubts about the dangers of obesity. What the article I summarised did was to distinguish between overweight defined as a BMI of low thirties and obesity with substantially higher BMIs.The current orthodoxy of obesity appears from the research cited to have continually conflated being overweight with obesity.

So it seems the hypothesis is that that the higher mortality rate of obese people (as defined by BMI of 30 and up) is driven by very high mortality of very obese people (BMI 35 and up), and there is no elevated risk for 30-35. For me to hit BMI 33, I need to hit 250 lbs (gaining 60 lbs) (I'm 6'1"). I have a very hard time believing this would not be a health risk to me. Also, the observation that you just don't see that many people 75 and older that have BMI of over 30 (not just over 35 - i.e. really fat) still holds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing