Amp for Gunaeri Evolution

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hello

I have just sold my apartment and bought a small house, where i will get my own listning room :D But there is a But!!!!

The listening room is not that big - 3.8x4.1m so i have sold my Wilson Sasha, because they are to big for that room.

So i have thought about Sonus Faber Gunaeri Evolution and some new amps. I´m thinking about tube amps, but i´m not sure that they are powerfull enough.
The amps is Mastersound 845 plus mono amp with 50w Class A are they strong enough for that room/ speakers. I like to play loud sometimes and my music preference is Jazz, Blues, Rock (old), Pop and a bit electronic.

Thanks ;)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Pierre, in a room of that size, I think 50w/ch will be fine.
I am using a 60w/ch ARC D70Mk2 tube amp with my GH's and the match is superb.
So long as you are NOT using flea powered SET's with the GE's, I think you should be good.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So long as you are NOT using flea powered SET's with the GE's, I think you should be good.

Having heard your system... I can confirm 60 watts of ARC power sound wonderful.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

+1. I use to drive my Guarneris with a CJ MV60 amp. A wonderful match.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Something in the back of my mind tells me that a Guarneri with a Ref 75 would be quite a seductive pairing.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Pierre,
I had the Evolution for a little while on demo/audition at home and tbh I am two minds about this model; I am a big SF fan (previously owned the Guarneri Palladio standmount and other floor standing) but unfortunately for the price the Evolution misses out on some aspects IMO in comparison to other speakers that would also fit into your room.
Two that I would consider is the Magico S1-S3 (but with an organic-rich sounding DAC+integrated like Dartzeel or neutral dac with say integrated McIntosh MA8000/MA7000,etc - giving these suggestions that fit more to the other side of the scale to true reference neutrality), another possibility to consider would be the very new Wilson Audio Sabrina when it comes out soon.

Instead of the Evolution I would possibly be tempted to go with the 2.5 way Olympia instead, or stretch to the Futura if you can get it at a very good price ex-demo/etc.
The older SF models can be a bit tricky in terms of room placement to get the very best out of them so that would be trial and error in auditioning.
But as you used to own WA, then I would think Sabrina should definitely be on your radar.

If you do audition the Evolution, IMO it needs good amp with good power (whether that be a good Class A 30+watts or AB with say 250watts to bring it to life and for dynamics).
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Pierre

Did you get your Tentation from Cor at Musical Reality? If so then I suggest you ask him if he has a pair of Unifield 3s in stock. He might even have a demo pair. It is a Killer speaker for small rooms. Lovely with the KR T1610 integrated which is also around 50wpc. Another speaker I would seriously consider is the Boenicke W5. That should be great with the Mastersound 845. Both these speakers have full range drivers augmented with tweeters and woofers. A great combo to have with higher powered SETs.

Enjoy the hunt!

Jack

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah,
I am not sure about the Mastersound being at its best with some of the SF range and good suggestion from Jack.
TBH your Pass Labs XA100.5 should be great to audition with SF, but worth noting McIntosh (solid state models) are well liked with many SF fans.
BTW just one recommendation, I do find that cable combinations can also be a consideration with SF; seems "ideal" brand/model from my experience and also fans on forum point to Nordost and Wireworld (such as Silver/platinum Eclipse).
Ironically I think those work better than Yter (which was associated indirectly with SF).

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thank you, Andre. I was listening to the ARC amp tonight, it is so interesting to listen to tubes vs. ss. I think tubes are still slightly more refined, at least in my system.

I prefer tubes myself for the harmonic correctness, especially in the midrange.

But I am not an absolutest.

I have a Simaudio 760A SS amp that is very refined, and absolutely open, transparent, and harmonically rich.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Something in the back of my mind tells me that a Guarneri with a Ref 75 would be quite a seductive pairing.

Indeed, an excellent match. The new Ref 75SE would work great. Also as Orb points out, the cable combo is as usual, very important. IME, Nordost is the way to go with SF's, particularly SF G's.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Absolutely. A friend had Evos with a Ref 150 and Ref 5se. Wow! What a wonderful combo. I eventually bought the speakers from him. I am sure within reasonable volumes, the Mastersound will be wonderful but I don't believe you'll be able to push it. The Ref 75 would be a minimum. I loved my Evos and eventually moved up but they are superb. I am sure the new Ref 75se version will be even better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing