Need Help With These Tapes

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Greetings all. A couple of years ago I picked up a bulk lot of old Ampex tape from an eBay auction. At the time had no interest in the tape itself, I just wanted the reels so I could mount new tape on them. Most of the reels where very good condition Ampex 456 reels, but a few were different Ampex formulations and the reels were not in suitable condition for my purposes. However, the tapes appear to have come from some studios and seem to be masters of artists that I've never heard of before. I'm going to try to attach some photo's that I took of them here and would appreciate any info or feedback as to what they might be. The Who's, Were's, Whatevers...etc.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping it may be some material that some of you may recognize from years back.

Master 1.jpg

Master 2.jpg

Master 3.jpg

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Before we talk about the music on the tapes, you can be sure that the first and third 456 tapes will be inflicted with SSS (sticky-shed-syndrome) and shouldn't be even spooled until you do the baking. No mention of the tape type on the second one but judging from date of recording noted, it will be SSS as well.

Ki

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Before we talk about the music on the tapes, you can be sure that the first and third 456 tapes will be inflicted with SSS (sticky-shed-syndrome) and shouldn't be even spooled until you do the baking. No mention of the tape type on the second one but judging from date of recording noted, it will be SSS as well.

Ki

I agree. I had no intention of trying to use them. I was more interested if anyone might know something about the studios or perhaps the artists. They're obviously masters, but of what I have no idea.

Have you met with success with the baking process?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Although baking is a temporary solution to SSS but it works. If you do bake (there are many recipes on Internet), you need to dub the music onto modern RMGI or ATR tapes before the master tapes turn SSS again may not be playable next time.

Ki

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Although baking is a temporary solution to SSS but it works. If you do bake (there are many recipes on Internet), you need to dub the music onto modern RMGI or ATR tapes before the master tapes turn SSS again may not be playable next time.

Ki

That's good advice. If I'm not mistaken Ampex either patented or applied for a patent on a baking formula.

What method have you used?

Bodyslam

Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I can tell you a bit about the studio that the third reel came from, since I was one of the owners. I don't have any recollection of an artist called Circle Star, but there was a well known performance venue called the Circle Star theater in San Carlos at that time. I thought I had trained all my engineers to label tape boxes better than that, however. It should have had the engineer's initials at least. I looks like it contains nothing but a set of alignment tones.

Anyway, it was a sweet little studio, already built when we moved in. It had been built for a management company called White Rabbit. The owner of White Rabbit partnered with us briefly in the beginning, and the only lasting contribution he made was to insist on adding the "u" in "Harbour."

It had been built by Scott Putnam, the elder son of Bill Putnam, so it was of course a Putnam style studio. One small studio, a small control room, plus support areas. We recorded Van Morrison, ConFunkShun, Chris Isaak, among others. Analog 2" 24 track. I think we moved in in 1981, and ran it until some time in 1984. I was working there and also mastering at the Automatt in San Francisco at the same time, so I didn't get much sleep during those years.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Ah, the thrill of the hunt. If you can get past the monotony of re-spooling and baking old tapes such as these, you occasionally come across something interesting and worth keeping. Occasionally being the key word, I'd guess I found perhaps a dozen keepers and one or two gems after going through literally hundreds of tapes, most in boxes marked no better than what you found.

Still, there must be some good stuff out there.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I can tell you a bit about the studio that the third reel came from, since I was one of the owners. I don't have any recollection of an artist called Circle Star, but there was a well known performance venue called the Circle Star theater in San Carlos at that time. I thought I had trained all my engineers to label tape boxes better than that, however. It should have had the engineer's initials at least. I looks like it contains nothing but a set of alignment tones.

Anyway, it was a sweet little studio, already built when we moved in. It had been built for a management company called White Rabbit. The owner of White Rabbit partnered with us briefly in the beginning, and the only lasting contribution he made was to insist on adding the "u" in "Harbour."

It had been built by Scott Putnam, the elder son of Bill Putnam, so it was of course a Putnam style studio. One small studio, a small control room, plus support areas. We recorded Van Morrison, ConFunkShun, Chris Isaak, among others. Analog 2" 24 track. I think we moved in in 1981, and ran it until some time in 1984. I was working there and also mastering at the Automatt in San Francisco at the same time, so I didn't get much sleep during those years.

Thanks for sharing that, Paul. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing