What speaker would you like to have back?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Dipoles are a problem for multichannel.

Kal, You are the expert in this area but I would have thought that dipoles would further expand the surround experience. In a concert experience sound seems to come from everywhere.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, You are the expert in this area but I would have thought that dipoles would further expand the surround experience. In a concert experience sound seems to come from everywhere.
Well, there's sound from everywhere and there's sound from the right places. To get the best from a dipole, you need it spaced well from room boundaries in order not to create false spaciousness and, for MCH, that means all speakers. I have heard a great example at a show with Audio Research and 6 large Magnepans but the listening area was a fraction of the room and made the rest almost useless. Besides, the spaciousness generated by the reflections from the rear radiations is not a proper recreation of the correct ambiance. FWIW.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The nostalgic pair would have to be the AR 2ax's but I wouldn't want them back. Then it was a pr of Braun Mini-monitors...aluminum cabinets...cool little speaker but no, wouldn't want them back either. Lastly it would be the humongous Snell Type A Improved. Do I want them back? Not a chance...huge with poor dynamics...never liked those guys..

Hmm. I remember playing on my dad's rug while he played his AR3as. I wonder if the east coast sound brought us where we are today Gavin even if what we're listening to now is very much different.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Hmm. I remember playing on my dad's rug while he played his AR3as. I wonder if the east coast sound brought us where we are today Gavin even if what we're listening to now is very much different.

Yep east coast sound would describe it...ruler flat for it's day and what we've settled in on would certainly be a refinement of that goal..

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Tried the ARs which were ok. The Infinity 2000As, one step down from the Servo Static 1s, were superb. They used the same electrostatic tweeters which were to die for. The mid-range was well integrated and the transmission line bass supplied as solid, and clear a bottom end as could be expected from any 12 inch driver.

Infinity 2000As.jpg

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Tried the ARs which were ok. The Infinity 2000As, one step down from the Servo Static 1s, were superb. They used the same electrostatic tweeters which were to die for. The mid-range was well integrated and the transmission line bass supplied as solid, and clear a bottom end as could be expected from any 12 inch driver.

View attachment 20120

What years were they mfd?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have had more than my share of loudspeakers, but for several reasons, mostly for the amount of joy per dollar I had and the fact that it was my college years, the original Advent loudspeakers really rocked me nicely. It was 1971 and I had two part time jobs in college to upgrade from my Dynaco 75's to the Advents. (I think they were about $138 each?). Eventually moved up to Mari Otala's Citation electronics (open bandwidth design, low negative global feedback, low TIM) and then added some god-forsaken supertweeter array (Micro-something?). I thought that system was the cat's meow even though it was set up in a dorm room with not chance in hell of being able to listen in anything resembling a sweet spot. Elton John's "Take me to your Pilot" was a favorite demo cut at the time. (Now, $138 doesn't even buy you some over-priced stickers to put on your fuses and circuit boards.) I kept them for 2 years before moving up to the original Magneplanar Tympani 1-U's. But man, I loved those Advents.
Wouldn't they have been Dynaco A25's? I also went from these speakers to Advents in 1971, then to double Advents in 1974, driven by a Phase Linear 400. By the time I went to Citation electronics (in 1975) I had switched to Gale 401 speakers (in the wood cabinet, not the aluminum), then in '77 to the Acoustat X. I stayed with various Acoustats until the mid-90's.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Wouldn't they have been Dynaco A25's? I also went from these speakers to Advents in 1971, then to double Advents in 1974, driven by a Phase Linear 400. By the time I went to Citation electronics (in 1975) I had switched to Gale 401 speakers (in the wood cabinet, not the aluminum), then in '77 to the Acoustat X. I stayed with various Acoustats until the mid-90's.

I heard the A25s circa 1969 and remembered being dazzled. I'm sure by today's stds they wouldn't impress but back then especially for the money they were da bomb!

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Mirage M1 or Magnepan Tympani IVa, both wanted lots of watts which I now have.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Von Schweikert VR8's. Way too large for my listening room ( at the time), but they had a little magic in them!

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Vienna Acoustics Beethovens! circa 2002-04. Smart money those.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Still thinking very fondly of my Quad ESL-63, driven by a Lectron JH50 tube amp, which I had in the early nineties. If I had the space for another system it would be with a planar speaker.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing