What speaker would you like to have back?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is there a speaker you once had that you regret selling or had to give up for some reason, but still have fond memories of and maybe would like to get back one day? Has technology or parts quality improved too much for such a consideration, so that you'd rather just have the memory of good times with it?

I personally haven't had too many different speakers, but two that come to mind are the Celestion Ditton 66 speakers and a pair of Klipsch Heresy II Signature Editions. While I think the Ditton 66s had a little more finesse, I think I enjoyed the Heresy IIs more. I could throw anything at them, from rock to folk to classical and they seemed never to run out of breath. They went through some serious partying for years, and it was a sad day when I had to part with them.

There is no doubt that my Genesis G7s are much more sophisticated and will totally outperform them, but I'd love to have another pair nonetheless.

What's your experience been with previous speakers you've owned?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
While I have had many speakers and a couple of them really loved, I can only think of one that I would like back.

Ohm F

There is one other but I bought one and had it reconditioned:

Quad 57

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
my pair of Apogee Stage Mini Grand speakers.... powered by Classe' amps.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My first response was to think of my Apogee Duetta IIs and Stax ELS-F81s. But, upon reflection, what I would love to have back were the huge semi-active, 4-way, 2-box TLS systems that I built with TLC in the mid-70's. At the time, they saw off anything else and impressed many skeptical visitors. They induced extreme obsessive/compulsive behavior in me and I fussed over subtle realignments and crossover tweaks to the point that I had to give them away in order to maintain some degree of sanity. I really want to hear them now!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In truth, its not practical to have a 2nd pair today. But with the room...probably would go for the Apogee Stages i nearly bought and passed on because i could not afford them 2nd hand a year out of college. Or my old SF Guarneris...one or the other.

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
Despite the hassle of replacing panels, I sometimes miss my Quad US Monitors (on Arcici stands w/Entec L2f-20 subs).

The delicacy of resolution and truth of timbre have never been bettered in my experience.

A good solo cello recording was the nearest thing to being there.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Compared to what I use now, I have no wish to have any of my prior speakers...
Prior to my x-2's I had WP 8 and before that Aerial Acoustic 10t's which I aquired back in 1994. Before that Thiel CS 2.2.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
IRS 2's. When I had them the EMIMs/EMITs had serious reliability issues but they were great speakers when they were all working. The woofers backed up a smaller pair of Maggies for a while but I did not have the room for both and ultimately sold the Infinity's.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
For me it would be my Maggie MG1 Improved....they were very sweet with my HK tube amp/preamp. OTOH, not in any way in the same league as my current SF GH's. Lloyd, why not acquire another pair of GH's? They still come on the market once in a while. Perfect for that second system in the smaller room....or maybe even in your existing room with a Sub. Would give you a different "flavour" to your X1's.

Route 66

Mar 29, 2015
Burbank, CA
I'd love to have my Magneplanar MG1B's back but not at the expense of getting rid of my Sonus Faber Minuettos. It would be great to be able to switch back and forth every few months or so to be able to appreciate the strengths of each of these speakers.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
IRS 2's. When I had them the EMIMs/EMITs had serious reliability issues but they were great speakers when they were all working. The woofers backed up a smalleyr pair of Maggies for a while but I did not have the room for both and ultimately sold the Infinity's.

I had the Infinity IRS IIb speakers. They were awesome!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'd love to have my Magneplanar MG1B's back but not at the expense of getting rid of my Sonus Faber Minuettos. It would be great to be able to switch back and forth every few months or so to be able to appreciate the strengths of each of these speakers.

I had the Infinity IRS IIb speakers. They were awesome!

I owned both and loved them

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing