Speakers Corner makes it clear - ANALOGUE is what they do!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Nothing wrong with setting the record straight. (See what I did there...;))

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Johnny

Nice ideals there by Speakers Corner, however that does not mean they have the best mastering and subsequently best sound. Not to mention SC top shelf pricing.

Take the Speakers Cnr vinyl reissues of Elvs Presley - "Back in Memphis" and Ä Date With Elvis

the Friday music reissue of Back in Memphis is better sounding than the SC version is every way. Vocals are clearer, bass is no longer big and bloated, tight and expressive and overall the cohesion of the music top to bottom is more convincing with better detail.

SC Date with Elvis is downright bright and siblant, whereas the Friday music is less bright, easier to listen to, less noise and tape hiss and vocals sound better. Not a great recording granted, as the SC lower treble sparkle does give the sound a liveliness that the Friday muisc perhaps lacks.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Johnny

Nice ideals there by Speakers Corner, however that does not mean they have the best mastering and subsequently best sound. Not to mention SC top shelf pricing.

Take the Speakers Cnr vinyl reissues of Elvs Presley - "Back in Memphis" and Ä Date With Elvis

the Friday music reissue of Back in Memphis is better sounding than the SC version is every way. Vocals are clearer, bass is no longer big and bloated, tight and expressive and overall the cohesion of the music top to bottom is more convincing with better detail.

SC Date with Elvis is downright bright and siblant, whereas the Friday music is less bright, easier to listen to, less noise and tape hiss and vocals sound better. Not a great recording granted, as the SC lower treble sparkle does give the sound a liveliness that the Friday muisc perhaps lacks.
Oh, I hear you, although I'm somewhat surprised to hear you say that the Friday Music releases of the titles you mention are better. Of the ones I have (America, Boz Scaggs to name but a few), none of them are anything to write home about, so I've become very selective about the FM releases.

And yes, just because a label claims they are putting out AAA releases does not mean they are the best recorded or mastered.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Oh, I hear you, although I'm somewhat surprised to hear you say that the Friday Music releases of the titles you mention are better. Of the ones I have (America, Boz Scaggs to name but a few), none of them are anything to write home about, so I've become very selective about the FM releases.

And yes, just because a label claims they are putting out AAA releases does not mean they are the best recorded or mastered.

Oh, I agree. I have Santana , Marathon and that is nothing to write home about.

The Elvis reissues OTOH are the real deal. Kevin Gray was also involved on quite a few, however it is clear they have had access to better masters on a lot if the albums.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing